Best Junior Review you'll read

thadthrasher

Mugshot.thumb.jpg.909af857904084d3bf8cd21156781026.jpg

The image you see above is startling. That is the mugshot of Halifax 21st's back-up goaltender, Michael Scott (aka Prison Mike). Now, as you read this you may be thinking to yourself, "I thought the Halifax 21st back-up goaltender was Thadius Sales?" If you found yourself asking this question, then you'd be right.

Michael Scott (Prison Mike) is indeed Thadius Sales!

It turns out that the 27-year-old Rookie goaltender has a past that is shocking, and leaves us all wondering, "how in the world is he now playing for the VHLM?" After he was acquired by the Halifax 21st, an interview was conducted in which Sales had this to say...

I’m excited to play for Halifax. I never thought I’d get this chance, but here we are. 

After some time in the clink I decided to clean up my act, get on the straight and narrow, and lace up the skates again.

Now you may be wondering what got me in prison. I’m not too proud of it, but I stole. And I robbed. And I kidnapped the president’s son. And held him for ransom.
And I nevah got caught, neither.

I know some of you are curious about what the worst part of prison was, and you know what, the worst thing about prison was the Dementors. They were flying all over the place, and they were scary. And they’d come down, and they’d suck the soul out of your body, and it hurt!

That was when I was known as Michael Scott, or in the clink, Prison Mike.

When Halifax approached me after watching my highlight reel, I agreed to sign with them only If they allowed me to go by a new name, Thadius Sales.

Now, here we are.

What was intriguing was that Sales never once mentioned a previous career in hockey. In fact, according to our research, the man never played a game of hockey in his life, prior to his Halifax acquisition. He has no history of goaltending, and according to a few of our sources he had never really even watched a hockey game before.

We decided to dive a bit deeper, assuming that he opened up to a few guy in prison. We approached Sales'

old cell-mate, Martin Nash (Pictured to the right next to Sales), to see if he could shed a bit of light on Sales.

The-Office-The-Convict-Ep.jpg

"He was certainly an interesting guy. He kept to himself for the most part, until one day we were both in the rec room. Actually, that picture you have of us is of both of us watching TV in the rec room together. In fact, we were watching a VHL game, and that's what sparked Prison Mike's....uhm...sorry, Sales' interest in hockey. After we watched the game and I explained how everything worked he said to me, 'when I get outta here, dats what I'm gonna do.' So, from that point on we spent our rec time practicing. He'd stand next to the fence and I'd just throw rocks at the dude for hours. It was weird, the guy never flinched. I thought for sure after I hit him a few times in the face he'd start showing some fear, but nothing changed."

It seems that even while Sales had no prior training in hockey, or even an interest, prison changed him. It gave him something to look forward to, and that's incredibly commendable. After spending a few years in prison and being pelted with rocks by Martin, other prisoners, and guards, Sales eventually developed his unorthodox of goaltending. He became, according to some, the hero of the prison, even though he continued to claim that he "nevah got caught, neither."

Through his stint in prison, and desire to grow in his hockey knowledge, Sales started reading up on classic hockey players and adapting their routines as best as he could. Nash claimed that one of the greatest things Sales did

while in prison was claiming that he originally came up with the popular phrase "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take," although we all knew that was coined by Wayne Gretzky. We actually found a CCTV shot of Sales' cell where we can see that this quote inspired him.

xByII.thumb.jpg.d393548d2d2fb61b93f2704cc16eb2c1.jpg

Overall, Sales has a background that is unique and unseen. He brings about a story that is inspiring to any and all hockey fans. Even when life seems hopeless, when it seems like there is nothing you can do to fix what you broke, Sales has proven that change can happen. So, now, instead of prison inmates trying to get rocks passed Sales' head in the yard, Sales finds himself in a professional rink stopping hockey pucks shot by elite hockey players. He's shown that there is never a bad time to fall in love with hockey and pursue your dream of being a professional player.

As we conclude this Junior Review we wish to leave you with a picture. If you have never seen Sales' face as he takes shots on the ice, you're lucky. The face that he gives is enough to unnerve even the most veteran of players. We suppose that his composure comes from years in prison and taking rocks to the face. Either way, the face you see below is exactly what Sales' opposition sees every time they try to light the red lamp. We feel sorry for them.

366627440_PrisonMike.thumb.jpg.c54143ac4dc034dfcebb7d7e41ddb41c.jpg

Edited by thadthrasher