Being Draft Eligible - What I'm Facing - Justin Lose

youloser1337

With all the hype around this upcoming VHLM dispersal draft, I thought it would be great to share my experience and what I'm doing to prepare for it. Of course everyone has their own story to tell but I want to show you my struggles and accomplishments to help players who need some motivation.

image.jpeg.11f3756a4d2ffee2844ab690bf5bb03d.jpeg

Training:

With the offseason comes a lot of practice and workouts. This offseason I want to improve many things to be the best player I can be and possibly be upgraded to the first line next season. Obviously if I want top ice time I have to earn it. When I'm not at home watching the VHLM / VHL I'm at the gym. I have a strict diet too to keep in shape for the camp before the season starts. I don't want to make any wrong impressions.

Interviews:

I'll be honest, I'm a bit shy. I wasn't the popular one in school and I struggled in the first few games to communicate with my team. So when I have to push all of that aside and impress scouts or GMs... its a big deal. I've been working with a therapist and a interpersonal coach to guide me to smooth interviews. I needed that since I've bombed interviews for jobs in the past and if you want to make it to the VHLM or VHL you have to have perfect interviews.

Relaxing:

I can't have hockey on my mind 24/7. I need a break from time to time. I love video games and listening to audio books. I'm a big science fiction, dystopian future reader. Sometimes the best day is just relaxing playing a single player game on my computer while listening to a book or podcast or watching a video. I also enjoy bowling too. I bowl competitively when I get the chance. It's a great way to stay in shape and get some social time in with leagues. I recommend finding a sport where you can just relax and drink a beer with friends.

Mental Health:

In interviews I talked about getting coached by my therapist. When I was younger and bullied a lot it depressed me. I was broken and needed someone or something to help. My parents got me to go to therapy and I've been going ever since. Hockey is a mental game too. Some nights are great and really improve your mental health while some are bad and really get you down. Breathing exercises or meditations are key in those down points for me. Missing the playoffs really broke me mentally. I even refused interviews after the locker cleanout because I wasn't mentally ready. Talking to my therapist really brought me back up and got me to the point where I was comfortable to talk again. Just venting to someone for an hour is great. I think everyone should have a talk to a therapist at some point in their life.

image.jpeg.74d85c2be14493775ca8b28ec6531397.jpeg An example of meditating before a big game.

I hope that you gained something from this. The draft day is coming and everyone is excited. This draft class is huge! I can't wait to be drafted and playing along side some great players. I hope to see you out on the ice. If you ever see me on the street, don't be shy to say hi!

- Justin Lose  

Review: This is great stuff for draft eligible players, lots of useful tips! I like the images, and the short little paragraphs. Maybe make your subtitles bold or something next time.

9/10

This is amazing advice to newer players! Definitely going to be implementing this in my first offseason in the VHLM! 

One thing I would change for formatting is maybe bolding the different subheadings in your article, but that would be me "nitpicking" 9.9/10!