Nick's Picks #7 ROTY Race is heating up

NickSunderbruch

So I recently did an article where I highlighted players most likely to win rookie of the year, and since then the standings in points have changed. While I'm quite aware that points alone aren't what earn you the award, It's still the best way to judge where someone may go at face value. So take a bit of what I'm saying here with a grain of salt as it's still anyones race. Last time I brought this topic up, Sunderbruch and Ryhnex were tied for first place on the leaderboard. Rhynex has since pulles ahead to first, however Sunderbruch closesly tails. In fact as of now the top three on the leaderboard are all Las Vegas Ace's Allumni. So lets take a look at the top 5 on this leaderboard and look at their chances to win ROTY.

1. Rhynex Entertainment @Rhynex Entertainment

19 goals, 30 assists for 49 points in 42 games.

Rhynex plays on a bottom of the standings team in the New York Americans, and while he's their point leader it's important to look at why.

Rhynex is leading his team in scoring, and in TPA, he's at 419 TPA as of writing this while the second highest TPA is 391 in Gary Rush.

This man is an absolute beast, he lead the VHLM with the most assists last season, and is still tearing it up even in the majors. 

I'd persnally say he's a solid pick for the award, but again it's still anyones game on this list, if he slips he has many hungry players behind him ready to take his place. out of ten I'd give him a 9/10 for the award.

2. Nicholas Sunderbruch I cant tag myself

17 goals, 26 assists for 43 points in 43 games.

Sunderbruch is playing up to the hype, he's playing on the Toronto Legion who are in a rebuilding situation right now.

Despite being in a rebuilding situation there's quite a few talented players on this team, many who are young, and a few veterans.

Nicholas is at 331 TPA as of writing this, and that's quite impressive that he's performing at this level with around 80 TPA less than Rhynex.

No one thought this kid would be here, but here he is, making a splash and staying at a point per game pace. 

However there's a reason he's number two here and that's because he's not putting up as impressive of a season as Rhynex. 

I'd have to say out of ten I'd give him an 8/10 to win ROTY.

3. Gary Rush @G_Rush

21 goals, 19 assists for 40 points in 42 games.

Rush is probaby the most underrated rookie this season, I'd say that being 391 TPA and still keeping nearly a point per game, while also playing with the top rookie on the same line is very impressive. Gary is a beast who know's only how to score goals and do what it takes to get the W.

While he's absolutely impressive and likely underrated, if you've followed his carreer in the minors, this is no surprise.

Gary is on the pace to score nearly 40 goals in his rookie season, which is absolutely bonkers. 

I'd say that he's a candidate for ROTY but he's not a frontrunner if things stay how they are.

I'd give him a 6/10 to win ROTY.

4. L @gorlab(god I love his name)

8 goals, 32 assists for 40 points in 41 games.

L is a great defenseman and I'm gonna look at a few more of his stats as he's not a forward like the rest of the list.

He's blocked 112 shots, and registered 117 hits, and 74 penalty minutes.

Impressive stats for sure, but when you think about it, he's a 29 year old man competing with 18 year olds.

L is contending, but just barely. However he's on course for a 60 assist season, and that's crazy.

He's also sitting comfortably in a playoff spot with the Chicago Phoenix. I'd say he's got a good chance of snagging this.

I'd also give him a 6/10 to win the ROTY.

5. Leo Strauss @gregreg

14 goals, 23 assists for 37 points in 43 games.

Leo is a great player, playing on a line with Merrick who is in the top ten in points overall.

Playing on the same line as a player like that it's no wonder your stats might suffer compared to the secondary scoring lines. 

He's absolutely been playing like a beast this season, and its great to see him do so well in Toronto where we're happy to have him.

I'd have to give him a 5/10 to win the award though. He's good but he's not quite competing compared to others on the list.

That does it for another spicy article, where I keep watching stats everyday hoping I can make an interesting article for the week. I hope this filled your bellies for the week kiddos because I'm gonna take a two day nap. Thank's for reading, stay Icey, Seacrest out.

This is incredibly well detailed! It definitely gives a ton of good info to those of us that aren't following the ROTY race, overall for the article I would Have the heading in the middle but the text about the player to be alligned to the left. Might just be me but it would be more pleasing to read. 

Great article, 9.5/10

Top job on this article man. It's spaced out and formatted really well so it's easy to read. There's quite a bit of detail on each player so it's clear you done quite a bit of research for this one. Always good to see the Vegas alumni lighting up the big league. All in all, quality stuff.

10/10