Midpoint Grading - Justin Lose

youloser1337

What would you grade Justin Lose?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today we are going to be grading Justin Lose's performance in the half way mark for Season 75 in the VHLM. Alongside the Justin Lose evaluation, we are also going to be taking a look at his line and how the team is doing. Let's get started on where the Mexico City Kings are in the standings.

Mexico City Kings are currently in first place in the Western Conference and in the league with 74 points in 45 games played. In the west the closest team is the Saskatoon Wild with 62 points in 44 games played. In the league the closest team is the Philadelphia Reapers with 68 points in 43 games played. The league this season has been very close. Wins are very valuable to get that advantage going into playoffs later this season. Next lets get to the 2nd line stats (excluding Justin Lose).

John Callahan Jr and Chris Foley are the two line mates for Justin Lose. They are offensive powerhouses in their own unique ways. John Callahan Jr, which we've stated multiple times that he was teammates in Philadelphia with Lose, is having a career season. Putting up outstanding stats with 17 goals and 21 assists for 38 points and a +14 +/- rating! He seems to be on pace to out grow the VHLM by the end of the season and  possibly have a chance to crack the Toronto Legion lineup in the VHL. Chris Foley is the center for Lose and Callahan Jr and is having a great season as well. He has 8 goals and 34 points for 42 points and a +20 +/- rating. Although he is doing well in point production we estimate that he could possibly not hit his career high 85 points from last season. Of course we could be wrong and Foley could explode in points in the final stretch towards playoffs. As previously stated the self proclaimed best second line in the league is still scoring and staying hot! Finally we come to the part Lose has been dreading, his evaluation!

When Justin Lose started as a waiver pickup last season with the Reapers, he never thought he would be in this position today which is being first in the league with the Mexico City Kings. Scoring just 19 points in 34 games last season was a big accomplishment for Lose. Now he is an offensive threat to all the VHLM teams.

First up on the evaluation is the scoring category. Currently Justin Lose is on the second line of the Mexico City Kings with John Callahan Jr and Chris Foley. Lose found his production when he was demoted to the second line earlier in the season. Now he has 22 goals and 27 assists for 49 points in 45 games. Those stats alone are impressive, but he also has 6 game winning goals, 6 powerplay goals and 1 shorthanded goal. On top of that he has 196 shots! We can't think of a better grade than A+ for Lose in the Scoring category.

Next up is the defensive category. When scouts were meeting with Justin Lose for the draft, he kept telling them that he was a two way forward. Did he keep his promise? This is debatable. Currently he is a +13 +/- rating which is good but not great. Compared to his line mates, he is the lowest +/- rating. Another category that isn't great is the PIM total which is 46 penalty minutes. The two good stats to help his defensive rating is his hits and shot block totals. Currently Lose has 96 hits and 17 shot blocks. This shows that he isn't afraid to throw his body or put himself in danger to help the team. Defense is a tough category to grade and I can't be too positive about Lose's performance so far. I would put Lose at a B- in the Defense category.

Lastly is the most difficult grading topic, Player Growth. Justin Lose is currently ready for the VHL, make no mistake about that. He did want to stay with the Mexico City Kings for the full season though before the season began. Lose has shown that he is ready for the next step and has almost outgrown the VHLM. I want to go over Lose's prospect report that was done last season with his strengths and weaknesses. His strengths were scoring, passing and defense. Scoring and passing are both easy to credit and move on from. The question rises about his defense though. As stated previously he self proclaimed being a two way forward. Does he fit in that role? I think we can rebrand him from a two way forward to being either a sniper or playmaker, two roles that better fit him. Bottom line, defense being a strength? Maybe. Weaknesses, this is a tough one, but I think Lose has shown improvement. His three weaknesses were fighting, checking and strength. Lose is not a fighter so I think we can write that one off. Checking has improved by a lot. 96 hits in 45 games is a great number. Of course it isn't outstanding compared to other teammates, but it is not a weakness for Lose now. We can confidently say checking is no longer a weakness. The next weakness was strength. This is a tough one to talk about since there's no real stat to go along with it. For that reason I can't grade him on strength. As a teammate and in the locker room I would say Lose is an A+, Strengths I would put him at an A- and finally Weaknesses at a B+. This leads Lose to an A- in Player Growth.

In conclusion, Justin Lose is a great player for the Mexico City Kings. Some have called him the steal of the VHLM draft after being picked in the second round! Combining all of the grades from this evaluation, we can safely say that his grade is around a B+. While his offensive is outstanding, he needs to be better defensively which really hurt him in this evaluation. If he wants to be called a two way forward, he has to put up better defense numbers. I think that Justin Lose is doing a fantastic job and is going to have a great career in the VHL if he continues down this path. This has been a long one, I hope that this was an in-depth read for everyone and a fair assessment on Justin Lose at the halfway point of the VHLM season.

What do you think Justin Lose's rating is?

1,099 words - Claiming two weeks

Scoring: C-

Reason: Currently 25th in goals scored (25 goals), 46th overall in Assist (30 assists), 31st overall in points (55pts) and 11.16% shooting percentage with 224 shots. These shot stats are inflated due to playing on a very strong team with the 224 shots indication a lot of chance to score but shows lack of finish with only 11% shooting percentage. Compare this to other players minute on ice as he is playing on the second line means he is collecting at least 17-20mins of ice time per game means he depending on how you rank other players in the league below the top tier scorer in the league.  Top ten players are scoring at a 1.30 - 1.66 points per game pace, while the top 20 are scoring at 1.17 - 1.28  and the top 30 are scoring at 1.09 - 1.03. So if the top 10 at your A to A+ then your top 20 are your B grouping and the top 30 are your C grouping in the way of overall scoring. Since Lose is just outside of the top 30 in scoring depending on if you count tie or not, then he falls into a C - category. Breaking it down further he would be a C+ for scoring, D for assist and a C- for overall points.

Defense: C+

Reason: 56th overall in Plus/minus(+12), 39th in PIM (52mins) and 29th in hits 108 hits and 42nd overall in shots blocked (22). Defense is one of the harder areas to figure if your player is playing effective defense or not since it really subjective but I will try anyways. 55pts and +12 means the player has been on the ice in 5-5 situation giving up a goal at least 43 times of his team allowed 134 goals. This relates to an 32% of the team goals are scored against this player. while only scoring at 25% of the teams goals as line leading to a negitive puck possession stats; which is also suggested in the amount of hits to penalty ratio since 108 hits and 52PIM is 48% chance of penalty per hit. This is a indicator of the player out of position and is chasing the play more then being defense minded. 22 block shots are a wash since it seem the player is playing in the PK so he is bound to block shots. All stats show that the player is offensive first and defense last in more situation then not. So let try to rate these stats: Again using the same for scoring with plus/minus indication of overall defense (which it isn't) at 56th overall this would be E/D- ranking; On ice for 32% of the teams goals allowed is a hard one to judge since what is determined to be good 0%-10% = A with 10%-20% = B as this doesn't take in consideration time on ice versus goals against. That being said I am going with the 10% = A and etc.... So This would increase to a D+

Overall: C

Reason: A player that is expected to carry more of the offensive load for his team and is scoring below the standard of the top players in the league on a very good team. This could be an indicator of playing on the second line with players pulling his stats line down but overall when 30 other players are ahead of a player in scoring more is to be expected from the player. As an offensive minded player that thinks offense first it is expected that his overall defensive play isn't the great as it is simple expected to score more then be scored on in most situations but in the case of Lose, his line is currently more likely to be scored on then rather score as they have a -7% goals for versus goals against ratio.

To be fair I will also rank my own player (also partly I am interested to see how we compare):

Offense:

Scoring: 32 goals for 7th overall = A-

Assist: 46 assist for 8th overall = A-

Overall: A-

Defense:

Plus/Minus: +36 for 1st overall

PIM: 10mins for 100+ overall

Hits: 23 hits for 100+ overall

Shots Blocked: 3 for 100+ overall

Team Goals against: 141

Goals against Ratio: 29.7% = C-

Goals for Ratio: 34.2%

Goals for versus Goal Against ratio: +4.5%

Overall: C-

Overall:   B-

17 hours ago, youloser1337 said:

Claiming Week 2

Also I'm sorry I didn't see your reply @Gaikoku-hito. Amazing writeup. I appreciate the work that went into that.

Not a big deal since the more I thought about afterwards I was most likely over critical of your season to date anyway since a player in the top 30 of scoring isn't an easy feat in any league so you are more likely an A- in scoring with a C or C- in defense still for an overall grade more of a B or B+