Camus signs long-term extension

solas

With the VHL’s regular season nearing its end, most VHL teams and players are likely focusing on the upcoming playoffs.  But some seem to have at least one eye on the more long-term future.  Chicago Phoenix goaltender Jean-Pierre Camus recently signed a five-year, $12.5 million extension with potential to increase in value due to league minimum salaries.  The signing prevents Camus from becoming an unrestricted free agent in the coming offseason at the expiration of his entry-level contract, and will also keep him with the franchise for the remainder of his career if he isn’t traded.  

The extension was announced alongside that of defenseman Matty Socks, who signed for three seasons.  It’s a significant move for the Phoenix, since Camus and Socks were the first two draft picks in the existence of the franchise, at 7th and 22nd overall in Season 73.  After choosing to stock up on draft picks and build through the draft at the beginning, Chicago now looks primed to make the playoffs for the first time in their history and will surely be hoping that their long-term investments will start to pay dividends in the coming years.  “I’ve said before that I believe strongly in the future of this team, and the progress that we’ve shown this season has only strengthened that belief,” Camus said in a press release by the team.  “The passion of the Chicago fans has been fantastic to see.  From the very start of this team’s existence, you’ve been there.  I want to repay that passion on the ice.  This contract extension is a statement of intent: my future is here.  My goal is a championship.”