Moscow Menace S76 Review - Interview with Pietro Angellini

okifenoki

S76 was a whirlwind. The Moscow Menace took the regular season by storm, flying atop the standings for the majority of the season with only the Warsaw Predators close behind. 112 Points as a Team, 53 Wins and only 13 regulation losses (6 overtime losses), the Menace had a whale of regular season. But, as hockey fans know, nothing matters once Post-Season begins. Its a whole new challenge. The Regular season just acts as the proving grounds and the post-season shows who really has the grit and tenacity to find their way to the rarified air of Cup-Land. With serendipity, the Moscow Menace eventually fell in the Conference Finals to their regular season rivals atop the division, Warsaw. Taking it all the way to 7 Games, the Menace fell short by one goal, with Uhtred @leafsman sealing the deal with a Power Play Goal midway through the 3rd period Warsaw advanced to the VHL Cup Finals. Ending in spectacular, yet disappointing fashion, we caught up with Alternate Captain Pietro Angellini of the Moscow Menace after an offseason workout:

Interviewer: "Pietro, it is tough to see things go down like that. A 'So Close Yet So Far' scenario. What do you think contributed to the shortcomings this Postseason for the Menace?"

PA: "The way I see it, we gave it all and left everything on the ice. Warsaw got us in the end with a last look goal and we just couldn't even it up. I know our team gave it all. The stars were stars, with Colesy @GrittyIsKing09 and Mikko @Beketov doing their thing, night in and night out, we always had a chance. We just fell a little bit short this time around."

Interviewer: "Your series with Warsaw was one of the most exciting we have seen in years. A slugfest of high octane offense and solid blueline work. How do you think the Menace can get over their postseason woes and make the next step in S77?"

PA: "Warsaw played their hearts out. Both teams were laying it on the line. Huge respect for their squad. As far as our postseason woes, that's just it, they're only some difficulties we have to work on. Sometimes the puck favors one player over another, sometimes things don't go your way. It is about how you react to this sort of situation that truly defines you as a professional. Personally, I will be doing what I always do and put in the offseason work to build myself up and, in turn, build up those around me. The better I can be the better the core of the Menace can be. I try to play unselfish hockey, finding what works with my teammates and what is comfortable. Sometimes the groove lasts and sometimes it fades. When that happens it is a constant search for a new groove and that takes hard work."

Interviewer: "Well said, Pietro. We love to see a player like that on the ice. In true Musketeers style, all for one and one for all."

PA: "Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno, Alexandre Dumas"

Interviewer: "Always the bookworm, Pietro. Love it. Let's talk about the Moscow GM change. With @Victor leaving the franchise, how do you think this effects the team as a whole?"

PA: "We remain with but one goal: The Cup. It is hard to see a GM go, especially the one that took a chance on me when I was just entering the league in S72 as a minor-leaguer. But I have met with the new GM, @Spartan, and have the utmost confidence in his vision for our team. As a player I try to stay out of the front office stuff and focus on what I can control on the ice and in the weight room so, in actuality, I don't think it changes my outlook at all. Like I said, we want The Cup and only The Cup. Whatever it takes."

Nice little media spot here. Gives us a nice look into Pietro as a person and a player, as well as supplying context to the interview. Could use some bold and/or colouring to break it up a bit, but nonetheless an enjoyable read. Good luck to you and the Menace this upcoming season! 

8/10