Sova Reflects on the Draft

v.2

VHL Insiders recently caught up with the Malmo Nighthawk's top pick in the S78 VHL draft, Tui Sova, to discuss his thoughts on the big day.

4u2FiyS.png

VI: Malmo decided to take you with the 7th overall pick in this years draft, how did you feel when you heard your name called at this spot and you realized you were heading to Malmo?

TS: It felt great honestly, management reached out to me fairly early on while I was still playing in Mexico and showed interest in me before other teams.  My expectations weren't high going into the draft as I felt like anything could have happened, and after seeing a few mock drafts floating around I didn't have my hopes up to be chosen by Malmo.  It was a nice surprise though when I heard my name called at the 7 spot.

VI: What excites you about playing for Malmo?

TS:  Well after speaking with both @STZand @hylands it was determined that the best thing for my career would be to skip another year in the VHLM and start developing early on the Nighthawks.  This is exciting for me as I feel my time in Mexico has helped me mature to a point where I feel comfortable making the jump a little earlier than some may have thought.  I gotta give my former GM @Advantagesome props for allowing me to excel in the M and reaching this level.

VI: The Nighthawks acquired Muffbeav @.sniffuMbefore the draft, do you think this makes the team a playoff contender heading into S79?

TS: Hopefully, I think right now our trajectory is to be a bubble team.  It would be awesome to overachieve though and prove the doubters wrong.  I think once we get some chemistry going throughout the season we can end up as a bit of a dark horse.

VI: What surprised you the most about the S78 VHL Draft?

TS: Honestly it had to be my former teammate in Mexico City's free-fall in the first round.  Anze Miklavz@McKelviewill undoubtably prove many GM's wrong, and make them regret not selecting him sooner.  I can't fathom what the thought process was for teams like Davos, Warsaw, LA and Prague to have passed on him with the picks they had.

VI: Our final question today; What are your personal goals heading into S79?

I just want win some games and help the team.  I have something to prove playing for the big club right away, and I'm determined to train hard to reinforce my spot on the blue line.

1602953565_NighthawksLogo2-2.png.ef0772f657d9171e25eb1ebc87d02694.png

Edited by v.2

3 hours ago, v.2 said:

VI: What surprised you the most about the S78 VHL Draft?

TS: Honestly it had to be my former teammate in Mexico City's free-fall in the first round.  Anze Miklavz@McKelviewill undoubtably prove many GM's wrong, and make them regret not selecting him sooner.  I can't fathom what the thought process was for teams like Davos, Warsaw, LA and Prague to have passed on him with the picks they had.

Thought process:

IF = defense
THEN = select.

You'd have likely been the pick at 9 had you not gone at 7, although I fully expected you not to have been there at 9, but Miklavs unfortunately wasn't the position we needed