Laine talks expectations, future in Helsinki

Laine

Helsinki, Finland - The smoke appears to have settled in Helsinki, after a big week last week. We saw a GM switch, a few major deals, and a few shocking decisions. Now with Frank Funk at the helm, Helsinki is a huge question mark heading into the season.

There is no reason to doubt the team just 3 games removed from a Continental Cup, but they saw a lot more subtraction this offseason compared to addition. Venus Thightrap, Emi Rune, and James Rose, three key pieces of their run to the Cup Finals are now gone. They still have the big three at forward in Patrik Laine, Valtteri Vaakanainen, and Ola Vikingstad for his swansong season, but the defense is a huge question mark without the presence of Rune, who was lost to retirement. Aurelien Moreau is expecting to move into a Top Pairing role this season in Rune's stay. We were able to reach out for an interview with Laine on his thoughts for the upcoming season.

Q: Do you think Helsinki can compete with all the players we saw leave?
"Definitely. We've been through thick and thin and we can definitely fight. It will be tougher but this group can do it"

Q: Do you know why Emi Rune left?
"Uh.....no actually. I'm not sure if anything was going on but she just kinda left."

Q: You are very good friends with both Thightrap and Rose. What kind of emotions did you go through when those two left.
"It was definitely upsetting. You know. Two very good friends off the ice. Rose was a mentor to me back from our Houston days, while Thightrap and I met at the WJC and we've been friends ever since. There was definitely a lot of tears shed when we knew Thightrap was traded and when Rose walked. I'm gonna miss those two a lot."

Q: What do you think of Frank Funk coming in as GM?
"He's a jolt to our club. He was great in Minnesota, played against him in a Founder's Cup Final. I've had the opportunity to talk to him, great guy. I'll miss Borwinn a lot but I think Funk is a great addition in his stay."

Q: What are your expectations for this season?
"For me as a player, I'm in my prime so I'm gunning for 50 goals. As a team, given the subtractions we saw, playoffs is an attainable goal we can set."

Q: You're on the last year of your contract before you hit the market as a UFA. Have you guys talked about an extension at all?

"I'm not into that stuff right now. Just focused on playing hockey and helping the team win. When the time comes we can talk about this stuff."

Q: Do you hope your future is in Helsinki?
"Helsinki has been a great experience so far, you know I was drafted and raised here, but that comes down to management. If we're struggling and they think trading me is a good idea that helps the team more, that's up to them. I don't focus on that stuff, I just focus on playing hockey. After seeing the flood of events last week, I'm happy to be in Helsinki but I'll gladly play anywhere."

Q: You have 3 seasons left before retirement, what is your main goal?
"Winning a Continental Cup. That's all that matters now. I'd love to win a cup in Helsinki."

(574 words)

Spoiler

Edited by PatrikLaine

Review: I personally really like interview style media spots so I really enjoyed reading this. Your opening statement was really nice to read it's something that will definitely catch readers eyes by saying something like "the smoke has settled". I also appreciate how you set it up with the answers being in italics so that you could tell the difference. If I was to make any adjustment I would say add A: infront of the answers like you do Q: in front of the questions. Overall great Job! 9/10

Review: Great read! Good prompts by "reporter" haha. Awesome insight in your answers. I liked how you provided an introduction/context for readers who might not know the entirety of the situation. Only suggestion might be to add an aerial view of Helsinki? Other than that, fire. 9/10

Edited by JB123