Ramblings on the VHLE and Vasteras

solas

I didn’t have any ideas for PTs this week so here, have some of my random, unorganized, and largely unedited thoughts. This was originally going to be a VHL.com article but it ended up being so long that I figured I could extend it to 500 words pretty comfortably. Won’t pretend this is my best work but hey, it’s 6 points.

Seeing the VHLE announced was really surprising as someone who is not at all involved in BoG/blue team decisions. And the more I think about it, honestly, the more I’m interested in it. It preserves the idea of the VHLM as a developmental league (probably enhances it, in fact), and adds a more competitive early league for both new players who are and recreates like myself who aren’t (and shouldn’t be) the target of the VHLM. Personally, my interests in the VHLM have basically been 1) maybe being in a locker room with some cool people to hang out with and 2) trying to accomplish the Sisyphean task of winning a Founder’s Cup so I can finally have a player in the triple gold club. So having a new league based around competitiveness early in players’ careers definitely piqued my interest.

Of course, the biggest part of this for me is the possible return of Vasteras. You may have seen me bringing up Vasteras a lot since the announcement, and if that was annoying/confusing then I apologize.  This is too short of an article to give you the full breakdown, but long story short Vasteras was a polarizing team that had a small, dedicated group of supporters (myself included) who enjoyed playing for an underdog with a unique and distinctive history. Basically, imagine the memes around Davos now, except stronger, less justified (imo), and extended over ~30 seasons. This article is a good retelling of the team’s history around the time that I was there if you have the time/interest in seeing more details. 

What I’m getting at here, though, is that I’ve always wanted to see Vasteras return to the VHL - and while that is sadly looking less and less likely, the idea of them coming back this way makes me far more interested in the VHLE. I’m also interested to see what the rest of the league ends up looking like. I won’t say it’s perfect - while I get that the league is going to be 100% old teams being brought back, I would’ve liked to see maybe one or two teams in new locations that haven’t been covered yet. It seems like the VHLE is meant to curb unsustainable expansion in the VHL, so I feel like the locations/teams that would’ve/should’ve been considered for expansion should be considered for the VHLE. It also would’ve been nice to maybe see teams outside of North America or Europe. Either way, I’m still excited by the possibility of the league.

For a while, I’d been thinking about taking a short break from having a player in this league after Camus just so I could recharge and hopefully be more motivated to max earn with my next player. But now, there’s the possibility that my next player could return to Vasteras, possibly for multiple seasons if I’m not that concerned about earning or my player’s individual success in the VHL. I’ve also even thought about trying for a VHLE GM job when the time comes but I just don’t think that kind of responsibility is for me, if I’d even get hired.

I don’t know how to finish this article now, so uh...congratulations! You made it to the end of my media spot.

Edited by solas

2 hours ago, Victor said:

Curious how you think Vasteras' history was ever better than Davos' :P

Also could Pensfan come back now??

My logic is that Davos' recent reputation comes from a period of bad GMing rather than the team's overall history. Vasteras' reputation kind of persisted no matter who was in charge which hamstrung any GM who wanted to make the team into a winner - when I was around I think the team was more unlucky than badly managed and that shouldn't have added to the ridicule.  Of course, that could be happening with Davos right now when I think about it...

• Commissioner
57 minutes ago, solas said:

My logic is that Davos' recent reputation comes from a period of bad GMing rather than the team's overall history. Vasteras' reputation kind of persisted no matter who was in charge which hamstrung any GM who wanted to make the team into a winner - when I was around I think the team was more unlucky than badly managed and that shouldn't have added to the ridicule.  Of course, that could be happening with Davos right now when I think about it...

Yeah I think Davos right now is more bad luck combined with more teams which means less chance to win. @GustavMattias hasn’t really been managing the team badly, they are just having rotten luck.