Stepping Down as Cologne's GM

Advantage

Stepping Down as Cologne's GM

Earlier this week I stepped down as the Cologne Express General Manager, and indicated in the posting that I would explain a little bit further why at a later time. It was a decision that I had been toying with since about the mid way part of the season.

I should begin by stating jts been a difficult year mentally for myself.  Covid has obviously continued to impact life, I lost my job, I continue to battle health issues and I am going practically broke paying off debt while also paying for a wedding and saving for a house.  Also my Habs suck and continue to suck and thats sorta miserable.  At least I've got my Raptors and Scottie! 

Anyway, when I took on Cologne I really thought I was going to have a long tenure but after accepting and before we went through with the draft, I started to feel concerned about a few of those above issues to a point where I debated calling it off beforehand.  Alas I chose to continue on as I figured I may be fine to go forward with it, but unfortunately my mental health has severely struggled.

I have a great fiancee and some very close friends that I've met through these leagues that I hang out with several times a week on discord.  It isn't your ideal situation to have with your best friends, but ultimately I work with people twenty years older and have far less in common with them.

Nevertheless, my support staff is fine and I'm a lot better off than most.  However, I have been feeling the drag lately and I think a lot of that is my tendency to take on more than I can really handle anymore.  

I have been a General Manager in these league for a number of seasons.  Whether it be VHL, VHLM or now VHLE.  I still reside on the Board of Governors and while I feel my activity is inconsistent depending on the topic, I enjoy it and hope to continue on in that role.

I said to Acydburn and Victor in my PM to them resigning from my role, "I think I need to learn to be happy in the VHL without being a GM." It's been something I've struggled for while, the constant drag but also the enjoyment I get from being a GM in a league.  I love this league and don't want to leave it completely, but I certainly need to step a bit back and take care of myself.  

I've been doing more things for myself lately.  I got my teeth completely taken care of after over twenty years of no dental care.  Recently did a cleanse to try and reset my diet and improve my health.  Focusing on self improvement on the job to so far staggering sales results in just my fourth month in the company.  This probably comes off braggy, but I assure you it's more me being surprised how happy I am that I've started taking steps to improving my life.  Unfortunately, the VHL had to be sacrificed slightly to achieve what I'd like to.

So I stepped down and ultimately will be leaving it in the hands of someone who has that drive I had when I was GM of New York, and will take the Express to greater heights than I could.  So for now I continue on with my current player and hope to focus on being in the discord a little more and enjoying my time without the need to worry about anything more than earning some TPE.

Edited by Advantage

One thing I love about this league is that we've become a community that flows with the tide to the extent that we are open to the issues outside of this piece of the internet and especially to the struggles that our members go through. And that we have become a place where members feel comfortable discussing what they're going through (mental health, physical health, etc.) and feel that we can be supportive. @Advantage, we haven't chatted in a while, but thanks for letting us know how you are doing and I'm very glad that you've listened to yourself and have taken steps to do what you need to do to be happy and improve you health. We are not only here for you but we're proud of you for working toward positive change and hopefully, this will lead to a better future for you and your fiancée! Well done, buddy. Keep up the strides to a better tomorrow and we've got your back. Cheers!

11/10

Edited by animal74

Probably the most fun I've ever had on an online forum has been in this league and I've never been a GM aside from a few isolated offseason things. (I've been AGM for a long time but that doesn't count).

I think that if you're not happy in the league as a non-GM, you won't be happy in a GM position either. I hope you are able to get back on track and do what you have to do to achieve that. I also respect you for stepping down at a point where you knew that you had to, as it isn't fair to the players if the GM goes inactive or becomes disengaged with the team. If you need anyone, VHL will be here for you. 10/10