What do you think of the Blackhawk situation ?

Agito

I think it's important to bring up a topic like this within VHL, I don't think I've seen it within the forum.

This is a NHL topic but we can get some thoughts from it within the VHL because harassment is a topic so we have to talk I think.

No matter what the form of the harassment is, it is important to understand the behaviors and actions in order to be able to react better to situations!

This subject is not prioritized to be a psychologist or other psychological aid but to better understand the acts of those who act thus, I have been here since May but who knows what can happen and that I think it is important to mention it.

Before sending a message, you must ask yourself 3 questions

Will my message do any damage?
Do I really need to send him this message or these messages?
Why do I need to send this message?

In the case of Kyle.
Do I need to feel bad?
Am I a bad person, is that why they did this to me?
Should I name myself as a victim?

I'm no text expert but I think it's important that everyone here take a minimum of their time in order to be able to give both positive and negative opinions with arguments and what they think about Kyle's situation.

For those who have already experienced similar harassment and who need to empty their hearts, I am someone who listens to others and is very active on Discord or you can write to me directly on the Forum.

Agito#4842

I see you mention negative and positive arguments of the situation. I only see good things coming out of this. If hockey is for everyone stories like this are so important. Hockey culture isn't good and this is a prime example. These people need to be out of the league and hockey, and depending on who it is jail. What Kyle did was very difficult but I think it's such an important thing to have a face behind this, to know that this is a real person and player who had their future taken from them and has had to endure this for the past decade. It wont be the last time this happens, but its a step. In an ideal world hockey would be for everyone, but right now the culture need serious improving. Kyle was extremely courageous in coming out and telling the truth, I hope to see and hear more from him if that's what he wishes. 

21 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I see you mention negative and positive arguments of the situation. I only see good things coming out of this. If hockey is for everyone stories like this are so important. Hockey culture isn't good and this is a prime example. These people need to be out of the league and hockey, and depending on who it is jail. What Kyle did was very difficult but I think it's such an important thing to have a face behind this, to know that this is a real person and player who had their future taken from them and has had to endure this for the past decade. It wont be the last time this happens, but its a step. In an ideal world hockey would be for everyone, but right now the culture need serious improving. Kyle was extremely courageous in coming out and telling the truth, I hope to see and hear more from him if that's what he wishes. 

Indeed, the culture is one of the needs that the NHL needs to review because the more the days advance and we have more and more similar situations or almost, we can talk about the situation of Jack Eichel as Robin Lehner tweeted, Kyle is really a brave person, I hope the best for him because it can't be easy to live that. 

I don't know too much about the fallout or the details of all the legal proceedings, but I have read the executive summary and all the worst details from the report of the 3rd Party Investigators looked into the situation (PDF linked HERE for those interested to read it. Goes without saying that it contains some very disturbing details, so trigger warning and all that).

It's not exactly a hot take to say that it's pretty fucked up how the Blackhawks handled the situation. Their actions basically assured that Aldrich would prey on another victim down the road. They had the power to torch his career and blow the whole thing open right then, but instead he got to keep working with young people that he could take advantage of. It's a tough thing to be in the center of, but good on Beach for saying something as it will inevitably save, indirectly, many others from his trauma down the road.

27 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I don't know too much about the fallout or the details of all the legal proceedings, but I have read the executive summary and all the worst details from the report of the 3rd Party Investigators looked into the situation (PDF linked HERE for those interested to read it. Goes without saying that it contains some very disturbing details, so trigger warning and all that).

It's not exactly a hot take to say that it's pretty fucked up how the Blackhawks handled the situation. Their actions basically assured that Aldrich would prey on another victim down the road. They had the power to torch his career and blow the whole thing open right then, but instead he got to keep working with young people that he could take advantage of. It's a tough thing to be in the center of, but good on Beach for saying something as it will inevitably save, indirectly, many others from his trauma down the road.

Wow that is certainly one big piece of information not a lot of people see. I hadn't really payed attention to the issue or really read much of it, but this is what I really needed to catch up on it I guess. Just wow

You guys ever read this book, The Lost Dream: The Story of Mike Danton, David Frost, and a Broken Family? It's the best, most-revealing / traumatizingly scary book about hockey culture I've ever read. It's really important that people interested in changing hockey culture read this book. David Frost is a predator, an animal, a ruthless abuser, but knows how hockey families and people think, and knows exactly what strings to tug on to get what he wants. It's "win at all costs", it's "do whatever it takes to not embarrass yourself in front of the boys", it's "don't be a distraction to the team", it's "me against the world", all those toxic, toxic traits that permeate pro sports and hockey especially. There are some happy endings in this book - Sheldon Keefe was one of the kids manipulated by Frost, and he's turned out alright (I'm pretty proud to be from Pembroke and went to Lumber Kings games all the time when he was owner/GM/coach, trying to rehabilitate his life). But for the most part, it's a lesson to everyone about how being blinded by cultural norms can be so dangerous to our most vulnerable kids, and that the ones that exemplify those dangerous cultural norms are the ones that get promoted to the highest level, and the toxicity ramps up as you climb the ranks. I highly recommend it.