A Davos Draft Steal Preview

Gustav

It was no secret going into the draft that we here in Davos only had 4th-rounders. But, it's a very good draft to only have 4th-rounders. In some drafts, active players are off the board entirely by the time the 4th comes up, but this wasn't the case. (Almost) every pick we made was spent on a currently active player, and even the pick we made that wasn't has some level of potential. So, I'd like to write this article to highlight the fine players we were able to pick up in the 4th round, and to give all of you a preview of what's to come in Davos.

49th overall: Greg Romain | LW | 126 TPE | :ott: | @Greg Romain

Romain is a forward who I was somewhat surprised to see fall to the 4th. Though the fact that he's earned more than just welfare in recent memory, with a few press conferences, by itself makes him 3rd-round caliber in most seasons, there was one thing that jumps out to me a bit more. Despite being a quieter member in public, Greg ended up being nominated for the Elmebeck last season! This shows us that we've got a solid member who may end up developing into a solid VHL-caliber player.

50th overall: Marttins Stepka | D | 111 TPE | :hou: | @DUSS7Y

This was a pick that was made with position in mind. Though Stepka is a little-known member, he was the highest-TPE consistent earner among defenders at the time the pick was made. And a little bit of defense is something we could use--though Davos has a very solid core on the blue line with Reinhart, Peepants, and Tavau, the fourth spot was a question mark coming into this season and will continue to be one in the future until we manage to replace inactive and aging McLaren. Could the answer be Stepka? It's possible.

51st overall: Joe Mama | LW | 124 TPE | :ott: | @Matt_O

Matt is inactive at the moment, not something I ever like to see as he's a funny dude who I've always gotten along well with. But with that being the case, and with his last two players being first-round-quality at some point in their careers through the ups and downs of his activity, I'm excited to see what might happen with Joe Mama if Matt decides he'd like to come back. Because of this history, I think this pick has the greatest steal potential out of all of them--as a dedicated Matt is an elite earner and an active member.

53rd overall: Ray Withers | RW | 130 TPE | :mck: | @Ray Withers

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this player was available at 53, as there's a press conference in his recent earning history and he hasn't missed a week since creating. It's true that he's somewhat part of the "portal-only" crowd, not having visited the forum in a week, but there's still a 130-TPE active player available at 53rd overall, something that most GMs would be thrilled to find. 

55th overall: Gus Bentley | RW | 66 TPE | :sdm: | @boatsinking123

I'll admit that I initially considered this one because @Ricer13 told me I should go for a fellow Gus with my last pick. But when this pick came up, I had some thinking to do--there were higher-TPE players on the board who were active, including some who were no worse than Romain or Withers on paper. So I took a peek at Bentley's earning rather than just going for the meme pick, and I really liked what I saw. Despite having low TPE, we've got a player who fairly consistently does press conferences for that extra 2, and will be able to make up some ground fairly well because of it. This is also the first (and as yet only) member of the class to join our Discord, reaffirming my confidence that this was a great pick.