Yikes!!! Too Many Leagues!!!

KC15

I have written about this before, but in another league and so this will have a very VHL perspective at a certain point.

The Issue

The issue I have is that I am WAY too many leagues! How many is too many? Of course, that will vary from user to user, but I am currently in eight: PBE, ISFL, WSBL, SHL, VHL, EFL, SBA, and SCFL. And I am an updater in four of those leagues and a GM in one where I am an updater. I think you can see why I say I am in too many leagues.

Why is Eight Leagues Too Much?

You might think that the issue is that I just can’t keep up my earning in all eight. But if you think that, you would be wrong. It’s actually fairly easy to keep up with the various affiliations across the leagues within the two universes: PBE, ISFL, WSBL, SHL and VHL, EFL, SBA – and even some cross-posting privileges across the universes. I just made a nice little Word document check list to keep things organized and chug through them. It is 10:06 Eastern on Monday morning (my day off) and I’m already done with everything that is posted in the “money league” universe.

So, what is the problem? I have over 20 discord servers with 10 or 15 different channels with chatter going all the time and I. Can’t. Keep. Up. So, I end up being really quiet in 80% of my servers. Discord LRs are kind of the backbone of sim leagues and though you don’t have to be the most active participant to make it work, you do have to be around enough that people don’t think you are IA. lol And what complicates keeping up in the LR conversation is that with this many leagues I find it next to impossible to keep up with what is happening in each league. Can’t discuss the latest trade if you don’t know it even happened!

The Dogfight – Which League(s) Come Out on Top

So, I have to pare down. PBE is my main league and always will be. I’ve been there for over 20 seasons and have GMed 3 different teams – still at the latest one. ISFL and WSBL are right up there as well, but I need to cut at least 3 leagues and maybe 4.

Will the VHL make the cut? Yes, I am almost positive it will – certainly for the balance of this player’s career and he’s not even half done yet.

The VHL makes the initial cut for several reasons. It’s a great group of users, but I really can’t say the other leagues are far behind. Sim leagues are full of fantastic people who completely overshadow the occasional bad apple that turns up.

Why the VHL Endures

The VHL will remain one of my leagues for 3 main reasons:

1) I really enjoy hockey. I don’t follow it like I did back when my wife and I watched every single regular season game of the NJ Devils in 2000 and then every single playoff game leading up to one of our 3 Stanley Cups. But I still love hockey and I would like to play in a hockey league. SHL on the other hand has been disappointing. Careers go on forever beyond the point that one has become completely bored with their player. The update scale is so punishing that you work three weeks to go up one point in one of 23+ attributes. Boring. And every other day, or sometimes twice a day, some “punishment” or other is being annouced.

2) My player is in mid-career. Tessier was drafted 4OA and I’m not going to be the guy who flames out on that kind of draft capital. Maybe if I were absolutely miserable in a league, but that is far from the case here. If you draft me with any kind of early pick, you are going to get a committed user. The leagues I am dropping soon have natural break points: SHL where my player is into regression and plays for a bottom dwelling team who will have to move on from Skinner before they are competitive, and EFL and SBA where I am playing out my juniors careers this season and will retire before any major league squad wastes a pick on me. My juniors teams have gotten maximum use of my guys before their natural aging out time.

3) I can see myself being a long term decent earner in the VHL due to the affiliate posts and welfare structure. I am at about 650 TPE with Tessier who is my 2nd player. As soon as I reach 700, it will be my second player at that level meaning that welfare jumps from 4 TPE to 5 TPE. Losing 2 TPE/week feels terrible. Losing only 1 TPE and not writing a full 500 words sounds like heaven. Let’s face it – I really hate writing these longer articles. I know 500 words is a really, really basic 7th grade exercise and I have 3 post-graduate degrees, but I don’t enjoy it and it’s a lot harder to come up with an idea to sustain over 500 words than 150 words.

Some people refer somewhat pejoratively to what I aspire to as being a “clicker”. Not everyone looks down on us future clickers, of course, and I can somewhat understand why they do. A clicker is, on average, not going to be as invested in the league and as responsible for moving the league forward as someone who is committed enough to write 500 words weekly. However, clickers add a very important thing to the league – critical mass. Without people taking welfare – at 4 or 5 TPE depending – the league would be smaller and less vibrant on the whole.

So, because those who would like to give less for welfare have not yet won the day, I am likely to stay on in the VHL longer than I might.

PBE, ISFL, WSBL, VHL – ahhhhhhh, room to breathe!

1011 words

Claiming week 1 of 2

2 minutes ago, KC15 said:

I have written about this before, but in another league and so this will have a very VHL perspective at a certain point.

The Issue

The issue I have is that I am WAY too many leagues! How many is too many? Of course, that will vary from user to user, but I am currently in eight: PBE, ISFL, WSBL, SHL, VHL, EFL, SBA, and SCFL. And I am an updater in four of those leagues and a GM in one where I am an updater. I think you can see why I say I am in too many leagues.

Kudos to you, I can barley manage VHL :')

On 11/22/2021 at 11:49 AM, Beaviss said:

I have zero idea how you do that many... I can barely do one...

I've burned out in four different leagues other than this one, and I spent a while legitimately enjoying two of them. It's a lot of work to be as active as I'd like to be in more than one place. So yeah, a lot of respect for 8 (or even 4) leagues at once.

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

I've burned out in four different leagues other than this one, and I spent a while legitimately enjoying two of them. It's a lot of work to be as active as I'd like to be in more than one place. So yeah, a lot of respect for 8 (or even 4) leagues at once.

yes but your the Gus the magnificent you are on a tier above me 

At one point I was in VHL, PBE, SBA, and EFL. I dropped out of SBA rather quickly, and I've been slipping from the EFL over the past few weeks. I'm not sure what it is, but my motivation to do much outside of the VHL and sometimes the PBE is dwindling. Really, the biggest reason I am keeping my EFL stuff even going is because I'd feel bad for my GMs. I know what it's like to have players go IA or retire out of nowhere, so I don't want to do that to someone else.

This is amazing. I cannot believe you handled so many for as long as you did. I've burned out of 5 different leagues, the VHL is the only one that has meaning for me.

In terms of active leagues at the moment, I believe I'm in the SHL, the WSBL, the upcoming SSL and here. I dig the SHL loads and I've often done my stuff there on Mondays or Tuesdays so I'd make sure that I have it done for the week already. Do some writing every now and then, even if it's pretty fanfic-y (my media pieces here ain't much better in that regard) but their LR's have always been very fun and I have yet to think of someone I don't like over there.

SSL's brand new but it's run on a thing I have plenty of experience with (even if it wasn't on purpose, FM's just really good) while the other two are leagues I've joined under recommendation. I wished to be more active on the WSBL but unfortunately, due to academical obligations, I was forced to be out for a wee bit. Still, they look like good people and I wished I could've been more on the ball.

As for the VHL, I have no idea. I like writing and the place allowed me to do so more confidently but that's all I have to say about it so far. I'd argue that my actual limit would've been three but I've made an exception for the SSL (it's soccer, I can't say no to soccer) but I'm not planning on going anywhere near 8.

Edited by Thunfish

On 11/22/2021 at 11:47 AM, KC15 said:

So, what is the problem? I have over 20 discord servers with 10 or 15 different channels with chatter going all the time and I. Can’t. Keep. Up. So, I end up being really quiet in 80% of my servers. Discord LRs are kind of the backbone of sim leagues and though you don’t have to be the most active participant to make it work, you do have to be around enough that people don’t think you are IA. lol And what complicates keeping up in the LR conversation is that with this many leagues I find it next to impossible to keep up with what is happening in each league. Can’t discuss the latest trade if you don’t know it even happened!

If only these conversations took place somewhere that favored longer, thought out responses that would be posted for all to see and to stay for all eternity! Then those of us who aren't able to be in Discord 24/7 would be able to see and participate in league conversation.

If only!