A Letter To VHL Community

Bobo

Dear VHL Community,

Mental health is a very hard topic for many to speak on, but also a very necessary topic to cover and speak on too. I know that many people on this earth experience some form of mental struggle; from basic anxiety and nervousness, to bipolar and manic depressions–mental health is mental health. There’s no denying it that some people are looked down upon due to their struggles everywhere. But that is never, ever, ever ok, no matter what kind of struggle you face. I haven’t had the strength to tell many people but my closest family and friends, plus my significant other. But now I will tell you all. I am going to be tested for Bi-Polar depression. A very severe and chronic mental health condition. But I’m not going to look at it as a weakness, it’s a strength. It’s my superpower; I’m a superhero. 

I despise it when people will call a mental health condition a “weakness, burden, or a stigma.” I hate that. My mental health struggles do not make me weaker than others, they make me stronger. Stigma; a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person. I wouldn’t consider something like anxiety or chronic paranoia a mark of disgrace. I don’t ever look down on myself for those types of things, I am never disgraceful for those types of things. I say I am strong, I am resilient, I am brave. I could’ve ended it all; made more lives other than mine worse, just to make mine better. That’s called being selfish. I decided to embrace my conditions and make the most out of life. That's what I call making a weakness, a “stigma” into a strength; a superpower. I love myself, and you should love yourself back.

Mental health in all isn’t a joke. Many people end their own lives every year just because of a condition that they couldn’t bear to live with anymore. Mainly because of people looking down on them for something out of their control. If people could fix an imperfection in their brain’s functions like a computer, then many people would easily be cured from mental health problems. But that’s never the case. They take mood suppressing or elevating drugs to provide a temporary cure. It’s never permanent, and can lead to addiction down the line as the drug becomes more hardcore. So the best thing we, as a community, can do is support each other and love each other. Positive environments prevent mental health issues. It’s a fact.

So, with that said, I want people to love each other, no matter what kind of condition or situation they are living through. Take it from me, I’ve been looked down by people for having unipolar depression and slight mania. But I never hated others for their conditions, I loved and supported them for it. I support my love, my family, my friends, and you all through anything and everything. I just wanted to share my experience with mental health struggles, so that you guys got to know me better. I’m not asking for attention with this article, these are just some of my thoughts and opinions. I believe that the VHL should be, and continue to be a safe space for all peoples and backgrounds. I believe that we are doing a great job in maintaining a safe space for all walks of life. Keep up the good work. I appreciate each and everyone of y’all. Bobo is back.

- Bobo. 

• 2 weeks later...