VHL Dream Team

SlapshotWrangler

Left Wing - Randoms

@hedgehog337

Randoms is what I wanted Ryuu and Sigard to be. A hard hitting winger that can also score. While it took a while for Randoms to find his groove, he proved to be a very capable scorer, only scoring less than 35 goals in his first three seasons. Even including those three seasons, a career low of 18 goals is quite impressive. Randoms’ points category is nothing to scoff at either as he put up 70+ points in four of his seven seasons in a lower point scoring era. Definitely would be a great winger on the power play and just an overall solid player. Randoms would be a great power forward and seems to play a 200 foot game that I would love to have in a winger on my VHL dream team.

Center - Podrick Cast

@Victor

Podrick Cast would be my centerman on my VHL dream team. Cast was a point getter and while his points might not seem impressive on first look, remember that during the early 60s, the VHL was not as high scoring as it was. To have a 174 point season is impressive enough but during a relatively low-scoring period is phenomenal. At his lowest, Cast would score 80+ points. With a point per game pace of almost 1.5, Cast definitely was an offensive threat and a big asset for the Riga Reign. Podrick also knew how to put the puck in the net, with his lowest season count being 33 goals in a season. It happened twice in his three last seasons. Cast’s career high was 79 goals. Cast consistently scored 40+ goals outside of those two 33 goal seasons. That is a center I would have on my dream team.

Right Wing - Vyacheslav Smirnov

@Banackock

I’m a big fan of goal scorers. Which is why I brought in former rookie sensation and Seattle star Vyacheslav Smirnov. While his first season may have soured people’s views on the rest of his career, Vyacheslav still had a damn great career. Vyacheslav never got less than 80 points in a season and his lowest goal count is 36. Seattle had a goal scorer in Vyacheslav, who could pot at least 40 or almost 40 goals in a season. If you wanted to get a goal, pass it to Smirnov and he would snipe it in the back of the net. Vyacheslav would also be great in a powerplay situation. It’s a shame that the rookie season set such a big expectation that he was considered "a bit disappointing" even though he was a consistent and great offensive weapon. Anybody who believes that Smirnov was a bust is dumb. No opinions allowed, I am always right, hahahahahahahahaha. Okay, jokes aside though, Smirnov is great.

Defense - RJ Jubis

@Jubis

When I had goalie Jacques Lafontaine as my player, I was lucky to play in a solid defensive squad that could help make my job easier. And somebody who was there from the very beginning was RJ Jubis. He was from the previous draft class of Lafontaine's. As both a forward and a defensemen, he proved that he had defensive prowess and could hit. He was a major goal scorer as a forward and scored 30+ in all but his first two seasons as a forward. During his one season as a defensemen where he switched to help fill in a gap for the team, he still showed the league that he could rack up points and make passes, even with a lack of goals. He can block shots and just overall plays a very well rounded game. Plus, you can add a bit of a sentimental reason here. 

Defense - Ryan Kastelic

@Enorama

You can tell there is a huge amount of Riga Reign influence because of my days with the team. Either way, Kastelic is a no-brainer for me. While he did switch positions in season 67, Kastelic was a weapon on the blueline. Heck, his offensive stats were so similar as both a forward and as a defensemen that I completely forgot he switched positions until I noticed the position category. Despite that, I am including him as a defenseman. Kastelic was an offensive defensemen in every sense of the word. I don’t mean that as his defence was terrible. His defensive skills were great. But Kastelic started his career blazing out of the gate. When he changed positions, some stats dropped but others rose to fill the gap. Kastelic is the player who adapted the smoothest to the change in my opinion, speaking to the versatility that he had as a player, no matter the position.

Goalie - Jaxx Hextall

@ROOKIE745

It would be a travesty if I didn’t include the best (or at least my favourite) goalie in the entire span of the 70s. Jaxx Hextall was a major force in pushing Lafontaine to greater heights. Jacques was drafted high and had a solid career. But there is no debate; Jaxx Hextall is the best goalie from that class. Yes, Lafontaine was lucky enough to win the Clegane but Jaxx took an okay Toronto team and provided them with consistent goaltending while Lafontaine fluctuated and was backed up by a stack Wranglers team. Jaxx Hextall also has longevity on his side as he stayed in the league longer and still put up consistent numbers. Jaxx will always be my favourite goalie and I still believe he is grossly underrated. Hextall is my dream team starting goaltender.

If your opinion is not my opinion you are wrong and therefore inferior. That is what Twitter has taught me.

Review: Your to kind Dragon, really DX I'm honored to have Hextall make your dream team!! *ahem* to get on topic though you have a very well typed up dream team, it's well spaced, easy to read and has plenty to read. You give good reasons why each play makes earns your pick and list some of their achievements. I like that each players name is in bold and underlined. Tagging the users is something I love to see, it's the reason I'm here reading this! I do think maybe using italics for the player's description could have added a bit more style to it but overall it's great! 10/10

2 hours ago, ROOKIE745 said:

We both have Podrick Cast on our dream team XD Yea I wrote my review before typing up my dream team but 100% forgot he was on your list to lol.

Haha, I expected Cast to be mentioned in quite a few. I was lucky enough be his teammate with Ryuu Crimson back in the early S60s. Def a great pickup for dream teams 🙌