VHLM This Week (August 31, 2014)

Jala

Welcome to :vhlm: VHLM This Week.

TPE Earners

First up, let's review the less known ways or ways that are currently modified due to events this coming week to earn TPE.

Smarch recently posted up the S39 VHLM Achievement Tracker. This is now open for claims, and make sure you go and do it before the VHL playoffs end as it's essentially free TPE for you. The cap for the TPE gained from this is +20 TPE.

*I came up with a spreadsheet that will help you calculate your max TPE gains more effectively. You can find it here. You do have to download it to use it, but follow the simple instructions and no more pen and papering it to figure it out. :)*

Check out the Fantasy Zone. There are two zones, the VHLM version and the VHL version.

*Anyone can join the VHL fantasy zone, only VHLMers can join the VHLM zone. So go on and jump into both to try and double your gains!*

Most weeks both zones will only have 2 options for you. a) Pick 'em. You are given 4 games and you choose the winners of those 4 games. If you choose correctly and all 4 teams you chose are winners, you are awarded +1 TPE. b.) Predict the score. You are given 1 game and you must choose the winner and the final score. If you are right, you get awarded +3 TPE.

Sometimes the fantasy zones will have leagues or tournaments on. The football fantasy league completed it's draft and is heading into weekly play. It's too late to get into this league, but keep your eyes peeled for a fantasy hockey league that's bound to happen pretty quick here.

As we head onto announcements, I just realized there is another way to get your TPE!

Announcements

The VHL has their Instagram account up and running. Just for following with your account, you get +1 TPE. Simply follow them and then post in the thread. There's also a two PT opportunities you can take a look at in the thread. Good to see social media expanding for the league.

There have been some rule changes that affect the VHLM. Some of the changes include all teams having a 50 TPE CPU back-up and some free agency adjustments. Check out the full announcment here.

There's a graphic tournament starting up and you have time to get your submissions in for round 1's deadline of September 4. Round 1 is going to be using grunge tactics, so check it out and throw one in.

Ok, enough of the boring TPE gaining and announcements!

Media

Here are some media spots and Fan590s I was looking at I thought you guys might find to be funny or a good read.

A continuing pick-your-adventure submitted by RomanesEuntDomas, we have Chapter I, Part IV.

More Bobby Ricky as he regales us with his adventures after scoring his first career point with the Blades.

We have newcomer Mikko Koskinen recapping why his team, the Saskatoon Blades have had so much success this season.

There's a great read on Oskars Harumpf and how he's greatly improved his play as of late. Always great to see a new VHLMer succeeding in the league.

You can check out all the weekly updates in media or fan590s.

Graphics

We'll take a quick look at some signatures. These are all made by users and we think these are really well done and recommend you check them out and other submitted sigs on ideas on how to make your own better.

First we have one by VHLM newcomer Paramoise. It's got a pretty interesting feel to it, and we hope to see more from this rookie member.

Sticking with the newcomer theme, newbie Denver has a nice looking sig that is pretty simple yet has an edge to it with his great techniques.

Lots of other that are worth checking out in the graphics section.

Games

Let's check out how the league is shaping up at the end of this week.

North American Conference:

:brm: Blades - GP:61 W:50 L:10 OTL:1 P:101 GF:351GA:211

:ott: Wild - GP:61 W:48 L:10 OTL:3 P:99 GF:323 GA:196 - Clinched Division Title

:ssk: Lynx - GP:60 W:47 L:11 OTL:2 P:96 GF:235 GA:158

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:yuk: Rush - GP:63 W:34 L:20 OTL:9 P:77 GF:336 GA:317 - Eliminated

:min: Gladiators - GP:60 W:23 L:32 OTL:5 P:51 GF:209 GA:247 - Eliminated

European Conference:

:mos: Red Wolves - GP:61 W:26 L:26 OTL:9 P:61 GF:203 GA:220 - Clinched Playoff Spot

:ber: Royals - GP:60 W:28 L:29 OTL:3 P:59 GF:271 GA:278

:osl: Storm - GP:60 W:21 L:29 OTL:10 P:52 GF:228 GA:292

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

:tur: Outlaws - GP:61 W:18 L:41 OTL:2 P:38 GF:216 GA:310

:brt: Watchmen - GP:63 W:10 L:51 OTL:2 P:22 GF:157 GA:300 - Eliminated

We'll take a quick look at some of the big games of the week.

With the playoffs getting close, this game between the Lynx and Wild was a tight affair to help decide how they'd end up in the NA conference.

With top spot in the Euro conference nowhere near locked up the Red Wolves and Storm met up with  the Red Wolves squeaking out the win to help keep themselves in top spot in the European conference.

You can check out all the scores and standings in the S39 Index.

VHLM Player Spotlight

First up we have an interview with Niklaus Mikaelson, a vampire turned hockey player.

So you're a vampire with little hockey experience. What drew you to the VHL?

I have dabbled in playing a little bit of football in my days. I used to play a bit of wide receiver and it shocked everyone how fast I was. Of course I couldn't exactly use my full speed because that would arouse suspicions. I have also played basketball and my aggressiveness and strength helped me play at a very high level. I decided that hockey was in store and it was time that I gave a chance at playing. I have always been a fan of the fighting because of all the bloodshed, but goalie isn't something that really involves much fighting.

How has your play been with as little experience as you've had outside the VHLM?

My play hasn't exactly been the greatest. There are some finer points of my game that I can continue to work on. Of course I intend on doing so for the rest of this season and during the off-season. Hopefully by time next season comes around, I can be ready and help a team win a championship.

Do you find yourself trying to bite opponents?

I have found myself even trying to bite my own teammates. The urge is there but I tell myself not to because they are needed to help win games. Granted that we haven't been winning much games, they serve this team well. The opponents is where it gets fun. I have caught myself coming in real close encounters with almost biting them but I have told myself not to. It would arouse many a suspicions.

Do you find the VHLM engaging enough to stick around and not fly off into the night?

Right now I can say that the attraction is there. Of course I can't exactly fly, it's more of a we can jump as high as we want to. The whole stereotype of vampires and turning into bats and flying off is a bit farfetch'd. We also aren't like those wretched excuses of so called vampires that you read about or watch in them Twilight movies. We don't glow or shimmer in the sunlight. We would melt if we went out in it. Of course being an original vampire, there is only one way that can kill me and my family. Of course that will not be talked about for my own safety.

Do you wear a cape or long jacket on the ice?

Again, the whole stereotype of vampires wearing capes or turning into bats is ridiculous. I should bite you for even asking that. I wear normal clothes just like everyone else. The classic vampire theme is what sells in the movies, but it doesn't translate into real life vampires.

That'll wrap up this week's :vhlm: VHLM This Week. Join us next week for what should be the season wrap-up and we'll take a look at the playoffs.