VHLM Rule Changes

Victor

• Admin

In light of the lack of parity and balance in the VHLM for a number of seasons now, the Board of Governors, the VHL and the VHLM commissioners have been working on some changes to the VHLM rulebook during Season 39. These have finally been finalised and are listed below. Some will be implemented immediately after S39 while others, to give VHLM GMs a chance to adapt, will come into place after S40.

Changes for Season 40

- 50 TPE CPU goalies to each team (like DAV G, NYA G, HEL G, etc in the VHL)

Free Agency
- 1 inactive FA per team, 1-year contract max, can not be traded
- 1 active FA per team, can not be traded in first season of contract

Draft
- Draft lottery for non-playoff teams (same system as VHL (consult rulebook for details))
- Drafted players' rights reduced to 3 seasons

Waivers

- Two separate waiver orders based off of player TPE (<24 TPE, >24 TPE)

- >24 TPE waiver priority must be offered in order to sign any type of free agent.
Change for Season 41

- Max of 3 1st round picks and 6 picks overall in first 2 rounds of the draft

NOTE: All existing FA contracts and VHLM draftees will be 'grandfathered' in and will not be subject to the rule changes. However, teams will still only be allowed ONE free agent signing, under new or old rules.

Edited by flyersfan1493

• Senior Admin

:fish:

Good changes all around. I think each one of them will help contribute to VHLM draftee's having an enjoyable time during their first steps into the league, which is really what the VHLM is all about. 

Edited by Draper

Interesting. I like this.

What defines an active free agent?

Also, what are we going to do salary cap wise? It would seem silly keeping 1000k even though the max bid is only 500k and there is only 1 free agent. But then again, it doesn't really matter what the max bid is because everyone will probably max bid the top free agents as you can only get one. With our current system, this will result with the teams with the highest waiver priority getting the top free agents if everyone max bids. 

Edited by eaglesfan036

Interesting. I like this.

What defines an active free agent?

Also, what are we going to do salary cap wise? It would seem silly keeping 1000k even though the max bid is only 500k and there is only 1 free agent. But then again, it doesn't really matter what the max bid is because everyone will probably max bid the top free agents as you can only get one. With our current system, this will result with the teams with the highest waiver priority getting the top free agents if everyone max bids. 

So they chose to spend their priority on the top free agent or the first recreate. If they go with FA, then they are done signing one for the season. If they go for the recreate, they can sign a FA whenever they want.

Edited by Kendrick

So they chose to spend their priority on the tool free agent or the first recreate. If they go with FA, then they are done signing one for the season. If they go for the recreate, they can sign a FA whenever they want.

Good point I didn't think of that

Think i mentioned this before but will suck for mid season new members wih sign up as goalie. May as we'll not even sign w a team

Any VHLM GM who plays an inactive 50 TPE goalie over a new member should never have been hired in the first place.

Any VHLM GM who plays an inactive 50 TPE goalie over a new member should never have been hired in the first place.

And will be fired on the spot.

• Admin

Why wouldn't we use the same definition as the VHL?

Because it can be beneficial for the VHLM, unlike the VHL, to bring members back from the dead with little TPE.

Can we name the 50 TPE back-up/starter? I always found it annoying seeing HEL G or SSK G in this case.

I guess there are no career stats for VHLM... and new members will probably like goalies with names more. So why not?

Because it can be beneficial for the VHLM, unlike the VHL, to bring members back from the dead with little TPE.

I guess there are no career stats for VHLM... and new members will probably like goalies with names more. So why not?

I'm just thinking of players like Broadie Boadus/O4L who used to post once a season in order to sign a 1 year contract as a FA and then leave until the next off-season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have one more rule change to add before the start of S40. Anyone who has followed the VHLM knows that the current waiver system rewards those who sit on their priority in order to collect the high TPE re-creates at the deadline. As a result, we're going to split the current waiver system into two separate waiver priorities: one for those with less than 25 TPE, and one for those with 25 or more TPE. There will be two separate waiver threads keeping track of each system.  All current waiver rules still apply to each system. Teams may have 1 claim active in each system. Free claims may be made after a player has been available for 24 hours, but we do not expect teams to rely on them to claim players as much as they have in previous seasons.

In addition, with the cap of 1 inactive and 1 active free agent per team, the free agent salary cap is obsolete. Therefore, in order to sign any type of free agent, teams must offer their waiver priority in the >25 TPE system.

EDIT: One last minor thing. There is no longer a cap on how many players a team may claim per season.