Kurt Janser's VHLM (mis)adventures

Daniel Janser

Swiss Central Gazzette

Our Canadian correspondent Jean-Luc Lieuxperroux had a chance to talk to Kurt Janser, GM of the Mississauga Hounds after the VHLM dispersal draft.

JLL: 'Kurt, you were GM for the Team World in the WCoH. What are your thoughts now, with a little distance to this event?`'

KJ: 'The whole team was hyped and we really wanted to go the whole nine yards and believed in ourselves to be able to compete for gold. This confidence was justified by our performance in the round Robin where we practically curbstomped the other teams. Maybe we got too cocky after that and stopped to do the little things right when we lost the semifinal as well as the Bronzegame. Hockey is a fast game on a slippery surface and it does not take much to lose a game which you should win. It is a thin red line between confidence and arrogance, and we may have overstepped the line. Maybe we have used up our puck-luck in the round Robin already. I still believe this team was good enough to win it all, but we need to acknowledge that in the respective games, our opposition was better. I just feel sorry for the players who had their last swing to lay hands on the World Cup.'

JLL: 'The Hounds had a lot of picks this offseason. Please talk us through them if you will.'

KJ: 'I think we drafted well. We picked Adison Bond with our first pick. I did not think that he would still be available come draft time, but when I saw him on the board, I just could not pass on the opportunity. However, in the meantime, Kaleeb and Adison contacted me and asked me to release Adison to play in the VHLE. As much as I hate to lose a player like Adison, I think it is in his best interest if he can compete on a higher level. So with a heavy heart, but with confidence to do the right thing, we decided to release him and wish him best of luck for his stint with the Red Wolves.

With Bryzgalov we got a very solid netminder who will give us a fighting chance every match. Carson Hound was too good to pass on, too. And if we consider that he is Swiss and his name I simply could not NOT draft him. He will be a pillar in our defence core. With Justice we brought in a promising young center who will make his way into the big show sooner rather than later. Finck, Suzuki, Nash and Machine are repeated offenders and we love to bring them back to Mississauga. Clark, Mortis, Cobberson, Kelly, Payne, Smith and Slotter were drafted based on positional needs, some of them will be ready (or are expected to be ready) for the VHLE next season, others will take some more development time. We are happy to have gotten them all and hope they enjoy their time in Mississauga and that we can prepare them for their further career.'

JLL: 'Okay, thanks Kurt for your statement, and good luck for the season.'

KJ: 'Thanks, take care Jean-Luc.'

https://vhlforum.com/topic/118419-kurts-afterthoughts-after-the-wjc/

Edited by Daniel Janser