Malmo Nighthawks Management Appreciation

animal74

eOp8Q5F.png

Malmo Nighthawks Management Appreciation

When Druss Deathwalker started his VHL career in S77, I had no idea how it would go. Admittedly, he was built to be a power forward (emphasis on “power”) and climbing the hits leaderboard was a definite goal. I knew this went against the grain and the meta but I thought it would be fun. The journey has been more than fun. Despite my initial disappointment at being drafted 11th after being 8th in TPE, I couldn’t imagine having been drafted to a better organization than the Malmo Nighthawks. Now the longest-serving captain of the Nighthawks and their all-time leader in hits and Top-3 in most other categories, Deathwalker has also been part of six consecutive playoff berths from S77-S82 including winning the S79 Continental Cup. 

None of this would have been possible without the management team that made their mark on this Swedish franchise. And so, I’d like to acknowledge them…

First of all, @hylands - You took a chance on a non-traditional build in the first round, banking on Deathwalker’s intangibles more than his offensive upside. You drafted well, made shrewd trades and boosted the roster with free agents when needed. Sure, you may have had a bit of luck but you have to be good to be lucky and you were really good, lifting this team to become a destination and a franchise synonymous with winning. Thanks for setting this incredible journey in motion and being an honest GM who made hard calls when necessary but also let the players play and for being a wonderful and positive person to play for. 

@STZ - You were Hylands’ right-hand man and kept the team loaded with spectacular sigs. You were always encouraging and helpful. Thanks for endorsing the positive Nighthawk culture and being a great VHL member.

@Lemorse7- You’re the newest AGM to enter Nighthawks lore and you’ve been a vocal and friendly presence in the locker room. It’s been great having you around! Hopefully this position will lead you to the next step in VHL management.

@Dom - We knew each other briefly in Prague and having followed your career and management exploits, I was elated when you became the GM of Malmo. You’ve kept the team competitive while navigating a transition time for the roster and I appreciate your transparency and leadership during this time. You’re always encouraging and you are a great ambassador for the Nighthawks franchise and the VHL. Thanks for everything you do.

Each of you have brought your own distinct voice and personality to the team but never once has there been a feeling of control, belittlement or discord. You have always put the players first and created and maintained a positive, fun and uplifting attitude to the Nighthawks where players who come never want to leave. 

I want to give a quick shout out to a couple of recent Malmo legends who have also contributed to the team's success and culture:

@FrostBeard - You were just on your way out when I came in but your professional attitude and commitment had permeated the Malmo locker room and you helped lay the foundation on which we later rose to championship heights.

And of course, the face of the franchise, @OrbitingDeath  - Condor Adrienne set an on ice example of excellence for future Nighthawks to appreciate, dream about, and strive for. You helped bring a winner’s mindset to the franchise and showed how spectacular absolute dedication and work ethic can be. One of the best players and leaders to ever play in the VHL wore the Nighthawk on his jersey for his entire career. That speaks volumes to future generations.

My thanks to all of you, for forging paths, establishing a winning culture and including me in the Nighthawk family. 

#NighthawksRising

Edited by animal74

Aye, I do have to say, when it comes to managing anything in the VHL - Malmo Nighthawks surely was the team I have the most fond memories about. 
The fact that under me we managed to rebuild the team from ADV's time and still keep some talented players on, win the cup and then make moves to set the "Hylands era" in motion is what I feel is my biggest achievement as a GM. To see you guys win a cup in S79, made me incredibly happy. 

Cheers on the great career there with Malmo and I hope the last season of Deathwalker's career will be the one you will remember!