2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Horvat is such a good player.

Not many rookies have the skill to get thrown into a bottom line role like him and exceed at it. He's a great checking forward as well as having the big offensive upside.

A lot of rookies you'd have to throw them into the top 6 with skill guys, but with Horvat he gets put into a lot of defensive positions and times when faceoffs need to be won.

Looking at Couturier's stats infuriates me.

In terms of ES minutes, he has a higher GF/60 than GA/60 (2.32 and 2.07) with tough minutes (Corsi QoC of 1.232) and what's his reward? A whopping 39.8% O-zone start percentage. I really hope that Laughton can shoulder some of the defensive load (or we can get an actual quality 4th line), because the fact that Couturier is putting up the points that he is is amazing, especially considering he's lugging around Matt Read and R.J. Umberger.

What does the center depth chart look like in Vancouver?

It's a bit of a clusterfuck because our team is basically the Sedins, Vrbata, then a bunch of third lines. I guess you'd set it up as Sedin - Bonino - Richardson - Horvat - Vey for the time being, but Vey is playing mostly on the wing these days.

Taylor Hall is Eric Fehr V.2

Dug back to quote this. Eric Fehr is not a bad player. Like Hall he had a lot of first round pick hype, however Fehr has adjusted to become a good two way player plays wing and center, Pp and Pk, and contributes solid on the score sheet playing on one of the better third lines in the league. Consistently up against oppositions top players too.

I think people put too much stock into the skill aspects of young players and it leads to heightened expectations. There is very few players who will pan out the way Malkin or Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos or Giroux etc have. Important for players to worry about contributing on the ice and fitting a good role. If Hall had been coached better from the start his attitude may be better than thinking he has to put up points every night.

At the moment without the developed prospects Vancouver's center depth isn't amazing.

You have Henrik Sedin who's a solid #1, but then you get Bonino who has flashes of 2nd line brilliance but he seems more of a 3rd liner. Vey and Horvat are kind of battling but Horvat is impressing with the role he's been given since the beginning with 4th line duties. He's not meant to gain any more traction just yet.

In the system there's Brendan Gaunce in Utica who was supposedly supposed to turn into some kind of 2nd/3rd line C but is developing very slowly.

Then there's Cole Cassels who has been playing great in juniors but he's too young for AHL action so he's staying put where he is.

Same to be said with McCann.

Dug back to quote this. Eric Fehr is not a bad player. Like Hall he had a lot of first round pick hype, however Fehr has adjusted to become a good two way player plays wing and center, Pp and Pk, and contributes solid on the score sheet playing on one of the better third lines in the league. Consistently up against oppositions top players too.

I think people put too much stock into the skill aspects of young players and it leads to heightened expectations. There is very few players who will pan out the way Malkin or Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos or Giroux etc have. Important for players to worry about contributing on the ice and fitting a good role. If Hall had been coached better from the start his attitude may be better than thinking he has to put up points every night.

Not sure you read into my comment properly. I was saying Fehr was hyped and went early for people thinking he had 1st line 60-70 point potential. That's what I see Hall moulding into, a guy who is not a 1st line player. Too much hype, can't live up to it.

At the moment without the developed prospects Vancouver's center depth isn't amazing.

You have Henrik Sedin who's a solid #1, but then you get Bonino who has flashes of 2nd line brilliance but he seems more of a 3rd liner. Vey and Horvat are kind of battling but Horvat is impressing with the role he's been given since the beginning with 4th line duties. He's not meant to gain any more traction just yet.

In the system there's Brendan Gaunce in Utica who was supposedly supposed to turn into some kind of 2nd/3rd line C but is developing very slowly.

Then there's Cole Cassels who has been playing great in juniors but he's too young for AHL action so he's staying put where he is.

Same to be said with McCann.

At this stage of his career and his tendencies, Henrik is a luxury 2nd liner/weak 1st line. The Twins have lost a step and thats why you see them scoring as a combo once every 2-3 games instead of the 2 points a piece each night.

Someone hyped Eric Fehr?

And are we comparing Eric Fehr to a first oa player who's playing with EDM?

Obviously you weren't around when Fehr was drafted. You really need to focus on reading. You seem to be missing a majority of peoples points here. In no way was I comparing Fehr's talent to Hall's.

Looking at Couturier's stats infuriates me.

In terms of ES minutes, he has a higher GF/60 than GA/60 (2.32 and 2.07) with tough minutes (Corsi QoC of 1.232) and what's his reward? A whopping 39.8% O-zone start percentage. I really hope that Laughton can shoulder some of the defensive load (or we can get an actual quality 4th line), because the fact that Couturier is putting up the points that he is is amazing, especially considering he's lugging around Matt Read and R.J. Umberger.

Cooters is one of my favorites, Umberger has been playing immensely better lately and showing a lot of hustle, so I'm ok with him staying where he is. I don't know what the hell is going on with Read.

"He prides himself on his work ethic. But because he's still a few years away from the NHL, he could drop to the bottom of the first round."

How is this hyped? He was obviously drafted high because of his size and he's right handed

Edited by boubabi

And saying that Hall isn't a first liner when he had more than a ppg for the last 2 seasons with the slumping Oilers is plain ridiculous. Even Patches doesn't have a PPG.

Yandle a first D and Hall not a first liner. I'll write it down just to remember.

Yandle coulb be debatable but Hall not a first liner....

Edited by boubabi

And saying that Hall isn't a first liner when he had more than a ppg for the last 2 seasons with the slumping Oilers is plain ridiculous. Even Patches doesn't have a PPG.

Yandle a first D and Hall not a first liner. I'll write it down just to remember.

Yandle coulb be debatable but Hall not a first liner....

Haha this isn't even worth it. Guy says Yandle wouldn't be in a Top 4 and then tries to bring up Hall into an argument about potential (not sure credibility is here). Fehr was actually hyped into being a first line winger. That link you posted is a scouting report about his play now, not back then.

The comparison was that Fehr was hyped and taken in the first round because of it, I said that Hall is somewhat of the same hype in regards to his potential projections. Many saying he is going to be challenging Sequin and Co. for the league league in categories. What they seem to forget is that those guys are responsible in their own end. But hey let's read into everything the wrong way. kEITH handle after all must suck since he has a -23...on one of the worst defending teams in the league. /rant

Edited by Kendrick