2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

DesertedWellinformedArmednylonshrimp.gif

That was hilarious. You could clearly hear the "**** YEAH!! WOOO!! **** YEAH!!" after that goal.

Man, the Canucks love to collapse and sit on leads in the 3rd period. They're lucky to even get out of that one with a point with the way that the Hawks were in their zone like 75% of the period.

Vintage Sedinery on those twins goals tonight.

I found buff to be better as an F, can use his physicality and not give away costly defensive zone turnovers.

i found u to be better as a cool guy but we can't all get what we want now can we fgt 

Add me to the list of Sterling/Kendrick/Smarch and people who seem to get hockey. How at all is Buff better at D? OH MY GOD STATS ARE EVERYTHING! :P

Ask Chicago how good he was at forward. They only probably won a Cup because Buff was able to agitate, forecheck, and all around manhandle/frustrate Pronger arguably one of the top defenders in the playoffs the year Chicago won that year. Buff is also a defensive liability. Sure he has a cannon of a shot. So you know what you do? Make him a power play roamer who comes from the point to the front of the net depending on how the opponent is penalty killing. Done. Otherwise he works great in the slot, and as a screening/crease crashing powerhouse up front. 

Yup there's people who think Buff is better as a forward.  Fair enough.  I don't agree at all.  Not sure why people need to go on about how much smarter they are, or how much more they understand the sport of hockey simply because they have a different opinion on stuff like this.

Not to mention I need him to produce like a banshee form the blueline to keep generating me fantasy hockey points. 

Add me to the list of Sterling/Kendrick/Smarch and people who seem to get hockey. How at all is Buff better at D? OH MY GOD STATS ARE EVERYTHING! :P

Ask Chicago how good he was at forward. They only probably won a Cup because Buff was able to agitate, forecheck, and all around manhandle/frustrate Pronger arguably one of the top defenders in the playoffs the year Chicago won that year. Buff is also a defensive liability. Sure he has a cannon of a shot. So you know what you do? Make him a power play roamer who comes from the point to the front of the net depending on how the opponent is penalty killing. Done. Otherwise he works great in the slot, and as a screening/crease crashing powerhouse up front. 

ovr weact mch dewise? geesh #Munk4Commish

Fine then I try to have a little fun with my opinion when I present it and I get shit on haha. I guess I'll just stick to my boring uninteresting long posts with no offensive text that nobody reads.

Also Caps stole two points out of the Shark Tank. #Beagletime

Also Flyers Leighton wasn't great but the series did go 6. Pronger was a big factor for you guys all playoffs long. There was other reasons you lost too of course but Buff was a stud in front that whole playoffs and in that series.

Fine then I try to have a little fun with my opinion when I present it and I get shit on haha. I guess I'll just stick to my boring uninteresting long posts with no offensive text that nobody reads.

Also Caps stole two points out of the Shark Tank. #Beagletime

My post was a joke haha. Big Brent Burns got 2 mesh tinglers though!

I have to go to go get ready for work so I'll just post this:

http://jetsnation.ca/2015/2/11/what-s-the-cost-of-dustin-byfuglien-at-forward-versus-defense

Sandro as much as some of the advanced statistics are things that I do think have merit a lot of times, I still am one of those hockey "purists" that subscribes to the notion that there are intangibles to the game that aren't measured. Things like a key fight, or a key hit a point in the game being more important than just a "hit" on the score sheet. Buffs presence in front of the net, his agitation skills, his ability to consistently get a goalie or a prominent defender off their game, and to focus on him instead of a star player are things I felt he did well. He did them amazingly imo in that playoff run with Chicago. The fact that he potted 17 goals as a forward to me is proof that he still gets on the scoresheet enough to justify running with the other aspects.

Plus he isn't stepping up to make a big hit, and then leaving opportunities for odd man rushes, something I think he's been guilty of more with the Jets. But you guys are entitled to your opinion, and there is denying as an offensive minded defender he puts up good points. 

I'd have to check, but I'd feel the odds are better the Jets actually have a better record with Buff on the blueline than up front as well.  The idea that Byfuglien is weak defensively is also mostly myth from what I can tell.   Not sure where it came from but I'm fairly certain he's been a positive possession player on the blueline his whole career (or most of it) and the eye test seems to support this as well in my books.

Sandro that articles mentioned something that a select few (including myself) are saying. Where Buff plays the best, isn't necessarily the best for the team. So as some say he is better on the blueline for himself, it appears the team plays better with him up front.

Sandro that articles mentioned something that a select few (including myself) are saying. Where Buff plays the best, isn't necessarily the best for the team. So as some say he is better on the blueline for himself, it appears the team plays better with him up front.

All I ever said is that he's a better defenseman than he is a forward.

All I ever said is that he's a better defenseman than he is a forward.

True, just saying that all most of the people who disagree are saying is that they'd prefer him as a forward because the team plays better that way and they feel he fits that spot better.

Unless I am reading the article wrong he basically is saying 'theoretically' there could be a situation where it's worse for the team when Byfuglien is on defense, but his own analysis (which I think is pretty out there to be honest) doesn't even support that.