2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Don't worry about it Bouabi, in December (or sooner) I'll happily post right back in here ready for you to eat crow when he's an effective second line scorer who helps your PP out. :D

Edited by Mr. Power

Vanek also makes significantly more money.  He really isn't even any better either.  When they are both on they are dangerous but they can go invisible at times.

For 1 million how can you even complain?

Edited by Advantage

For me, I'd just rather see Semin in the top six and given a chance instead of someone who just simply isn't ready yet.  Guys like Scherbak shouldn't be forced into top six roles which is what I think a lot of Montreal fans were hoping.

I suppose it's nice to have an option of either Kassian or Semin on the ice. One of them will probably be scratched most of the time. Semin needed against offensive teams and Kassian used against the big teams. Although I'm not sure Kassian brings that game anymore either.

Semin is a good alternative to Kassian though especially considering the price.

I suppose it's nice to have an option of either Kassian or Semin on the ice. One of them will probably be scratched most of the time. Semin needed against offensive teams and Kassian used against the big teams. Although I'm not sure Kassian brings that game anymore either.

Semin is a good alternative to Kassian though especially considering the price.

Why do you think one will be scratched most of the time? I think Kassian fits on Eller's wing on the third line a lot better anyway.

Edited by Advantage

Why do you think one will be scratched most of the time? I think Kassian fits on Eller's wing on the third line a lot better anyway.

I guess I'm just used to Kassian's Canuck play and hearing about Semin's scratches in Carolina. Both of them in recent years have been prone to a lack of effort.

Hopefully that can change for the sake of their careers.

Kassian will likely top out at a bottom six role.

Another underrated play by Semin. His playmaking is highly underrated and you can look at tons of highlights from his seasons with Carolina for that. 

Listen, if he was much older I'd get the "eh this is a guy who isn't going to make it past December." But come on Boubabi. This is a 31 year old coming off a season with wrist surgery that saw him bounce up and down the line up when he's clearly as SKILL guy and isn't met for third or fourth line roles. And even still, even playing all over the place healing on a bad Carolina club he managed 19 points in 57 games last season. 

When you watched him play (which I did, not that I'm a big fan of Semins but I still follow other teams now and then) he still had all the factors that make him good. There are a plethora of reasons why last season and the Carolina situation soured on him, but jumping down his throat and calling him barely NHL material already? If he were Canadian or American that wouldn't happen and that is disgusting. If it wasn't for a few grinders who used to play for the Caps calling out his work ethic and the total anti Russian bias that goes on in the NHL nobody would be saying anything.

Even still, TSN and various other outlets signal this as a fantastic signing for the Habs just for the risk/price ratio. But most agree that Semin still has what it takes to play in the NHL. 

Edited by Mr. Power

Also if you want to argue effort, again watch the same video I posted. Play all starts after Semin stick checks the puck loose to Staal before making the incredible pass when he gets the puck. You can watch highlight reels of his play in Carolina and many good goals/passes he makes are set up by him starting the play with sound defensive play.

Again, it's because he's not physical that his defensive game gets no attention. He isn't Datysuk levels or anything crazy like that but the effort is there. It's just a different kind of effort imo. 

Edited by Mr. Power

Oh yes and I don't see dsp playing on the left wing

@devise : Vanek, who is a better Semin was in MTL for a short moment not because he wasn't able to put some pts, he just doesn't fit in MTL mentality. I'm expecting the same for Semin. If not, good for the Habs because he is definitly the top 6 talent on the wing.

Boub's if you want some re-assurance about Semin, just know that players who have 1 year contracts for low money are not only in a contract year for their team, but they are in a contract year for the NHL. So essentially meaning if they don't bust their ass the entire year then they won't be playing in the NHL.

Edited by Kendrick

Bonino, Clendening, and a second for Sutter and a conditional third. 

This trade is interesting, we move a very cap friendly player in there prime (Bonino) and a solid young 7-9 defensemen and a pick (I am assuming its the Anaheim one) for a young (well 26 so) and a third. We are actually taking on cap from this trade because Bonino was only at 1.9 and Sutter is at like 3.3. 

I do like this trade and if Sutter can immediately jump into that second line center position and play a shut down role and still put up points we may have won this deal. I know Sutter was limited on the Pens with third line ice time + special teams but he still put up around thirty points. So I am hoping for him to get at least player a larger role.