2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Bonino, Clendening, and a second for Sutter and a conditional third. 

This trade is interesting, we move a very cap friendly player in there prime (Bonino) and a solid young 7-9 defensemen and a pick (I am assuming its the Anaheim one) for a young (well 26 so) and a third. We are actually taking on cap from this trade because Bonino was only at 1.9 and Sutter is at like 3.3. 

I do like this trade and if Sutter can immediately jump into that second line center position and play a shut down role and still put up points we may have won this deal. I know Sutter was limited on the Pens with third line ice time + special teams but he still put up around thirty points. So I am hoping for him to get at least player a larger role.

I think Sutter has the potential to be more than a third line guy, it's just a matter of if he can reach it. 

What an awful fucking trade. Younger, cheaper players and a 2nd for a fucking 4th line centre who happens to be a UFA next season. Sutter is awful. He dragged down the Corsi of even Malkin and Crosby! What in the actual fuck is Jim Benning doing? Make up your fucking mind and rebuild, or compete already. Preferably the former of those two options.

CLAyBWHUAAAkHWD.png CLAyBWJUkAAFnVr.png

Kill me, please.

Edited by Sandro

Toronto was all about corsi last season... it didn't help . Sutter might be the best 3rd line center in the league imo

Corsi isn't the only stat the matters. Look at the fucking HERO chart. Sutter is a black hole in terms of possession, and he doesn't suppress shots well enough to counteract that. He's paid more, he's going to be a UFA next summer, and we're going to lose Bonino's offensive production. Him, Matthias, Kassian, gone... That's a lot of scoring that's gone with no one to replace it.

This team is turning into a fucking tire fire, fast, and the sooner Benning is told to fuck off to Boston the better things will be.

No one to replace? Yeah because Horvat is not getting better, Vey is not getting better, Baerschi is not getting better, Virtanen is not getting better. Watch sutter come in and put up 40 on our second line and play a strong defensive game.

Baertschi and Virtanen are wingers. Virtanen will be lucky to get 9 games, he stalled offensively in the WHL.

Vey is a fringe NHLer right now. Horvat is being thrust into a second line roll with pretty much no back up now.

Brandon Sutter is a pending UFA, a fucking black hole possession-wise, and is not as strong defensively as everyone is deluded enough to believe.

And we gave up Clendening and a 2nd for no fucking reason.

P.S. NHL GMs are using those same analytics that the "armchair GM bloggers" use.

It's like Sandro wants them to rebuild but be a Stanley cup champion all at once. Make up your damn mind. It's not a horrible trade, but hey the sky is falling and the Cubbies are winning the world series, run!!!!!

It's like Sandro wants them to rebuild but be a Stanley cup champion all at once. Make up your damn mind. It's not a horrible trade, but hey the sky is falling and the Cubbies are winning the world series, run!!!!!

I want them to rebuild. But the team keeps saying they're competing. This is not a trade that helps a rebuild, and it doesn't do much to help them contend either. Sutter is a downgrade from Bonino, then they threw in a 22 year old defenceman and a 2nd round pick for shits and giggles. It's a terrible trade, there's clearly no plan guiding this management group, and I'm ready for Benning to be fired.

Do you not understand that the difference between an Anaheim 2nd and a Buffalo 3rd will not be that much different? Sutter is an upgrade and is younger, Clendening was used to balance the trade out. Having a center core of Sedin-Sutter-Horvat-Vey is a very young core down the middle. Nothing wrong with that.

i agree with Sandro, 

In

Nick Bonino (1season)

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett

Linden Vey

Ryan Miller

Will Acton

Andrey Pedan

Adam Clendening (1/4 season)

Sven Baertschi

Cory Conacher

Brandon Prust

Brandon Sutter

Out

Ryan Kesler

Jason Garrison

Jeff Costello

Nick bonino 

Kevin Bieksa

Eddie Lack

Gustav Forsling

Shawn Matthias

Brad Richardson

plus picks here and there, Idk about you but Eddie Lack for peanuts really pissed me off

Do you not understand that the difference between an Anaheim 2nd and a Buffalo 3rd will not be that much different? Sutter is an upgrade and is younger, Clendening was used to balance the trade out. Having a center core of Sedin-Sutter-Horvat-Vey is a very young core down the middle. Nothing wrong with that.

It's not the Buffalo 3rd. It's the higher of Vancouver or NYI's 3rd. Get your facts right.

Sutter is 10 months younger, and a downgrade in every way except maybe his hairline.

It's also a terrible group that relies on Horvat to step his game up immensely if they want to have a hope in hell of scoring goals.

Edited by Sandro

Imma post the HERO charts again since people seem to enjoy ignoring them.

Here's Nick Bonino. Not a defensive stalwart, but hey he puts up points!

CLAyBWHUAAAkHWD.png

And here's Brandon Sutter... Oh look he doesn't do either of those those things well.

CLAyBWJUkAAFnVr.png

Maybe this will be easier for you to understand.

CLBJVw6UAAAIQnJ.jpg

Sutter plays as shutdown center, those stats are irrelevant. If you want a shutdown center that is able to put tons of pts and control the game, those are Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Toews. Sutter fills the defensive aspect that Kesler left. You can find a Bonino elsewhere.

Sutter plays as shutdown center, those stats are irrelevant. If you want a shutdown center that is able to put tons of pts and control the game, those are Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Toews. Sutter fills the defensive aspect that Kesler left. You can find a Bonino elsewhere.

Yes, they are relevant. A shutdown center would suppress shots. That's their fucking job. If they don't, then they suck at their fucking job. Sutter isn't half the player Kesler was, or still is. And yeah, replacing a 40 point centre getting paid under $2M a year for the next two years is so easy.

I should always trust your judgement, boubabi. You know everything.

:yawn:

Oh right, I forgot the famous defensive system of Pitsburgh. Yes your GM is bad, but I would trust his hockey judgment over anyone here. Its been told that Bonino didn't want to play for Vancouver so give him a chance.

The stats that you are bringing are based on the offensive production of a player, so yes they are irrelevant because it favors offensive players. Bonino was playing with better offensive players than Sutter, it's like comparing Eller to Desharnais

The stats that you are bringing are based on the offensive production of a player, so yes they are irrelevant because it favors offensive players. Bonino was playing with better offensive players than Sutter, it's like comparing Eller to Desharnais

THERE ARE LITERALLY STATS ABOUT DEFENSIVE PLAY IN THE HERO CHARTS. YOU AREN'T EVEN TRYING.

The only thing Sutter has on those charts that is better is his GA60 +/-, and it's not that enough of an improvement to make up for the colossal drop off in every other aspect.

Edited by Sandro

I do think sutter is better at what he does than Bonino. Yes, Bonino is a better offensive player but he pretty much already on his max potential compared to sutter who's been restricted to the 3rd line role in Pittsburgh

Its been told that Bonino didn't want to play for Vancouver so give him a chance.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING? Bonino literally just bought a house. Where the fuck is it said he doesn't want to play for Vancouver? This is the same sort of bullshit that comes up after every trade. Like... WTF.

I do think sutter is better at what he does than Bonino. Yes, Bonino is a better offensive player but he pretty much already on his max potential compared to sutter who's been restricted to the 3rd line role in Pittsburgh

I don't see how you can say Bonino is at his best when Sutter is 10 fucking months younger than him. If Bonino has topped out, so has Sutter.

Oh right, I forgot the famous defensive system of Pitsburgh. Yes your GM is bad, but I would trust his hockey judgment over anyone here. Its been told that Bonino didn't want to play for Vancouver so give him a chance.

Right, because the Canucks are such a defensively strong team that Sutter will fit right in and improve.

THIS TEAM PLAYS LUCA FUCKING SBISA 20 MINUTES A NIGHT.