2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Everyone but Miller is back tomorrow! That's going to be interesting.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Matthias - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Richardson - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Please dear god let those be the lines. No more Vey or Dorsett.

Calgary is really pushing on the other teams to do harder to make the playoffs. They're really making it look easy with Giordano.

Also, yeah I read that earlier that all the Canucks are back tomorrow besides Miller. Should be very interesting to see what that brings. I'm sure somehow Willie will find a way to throw in Dorsett, even though he had a bunch of PIM against the Kings. I don't want Vey in the lineup right now either, as Kenins/Horvat/Hansen is kind of a must. That line just clicks and looks better than the 1st line on some nights.

Bieksa definitely needs to go with Hamhuis. Hamhuis saves Bieksa's blunders time and time again.

It will be interesting to see how Richardson and Bieksa do after not playing for so long.

Dorsett had a goal, but he wasn't a game decider.

That being said, the Canucks might have won but they didn't play amazing. Too many penalties and too many chances for Toronto. They wiffed on a lot of opportunities. Can't have that next game against Philly as they will likely bury them with the way they have been playing lately.

Should've scratched Dorsett...

He had a very good game. I'd love for him to play like that more often.

Unfortunately he (along with Vey) are the worst possession players on the team by a long shot, and as we saw against LA he's prone to taking bad penalties. Again, if he plays like that all the time then you just can't take him out.

Dorsett played pretty well tonight with the 3 points but I can't say that another guy wouldn't have played just as well on those lines. Obviously if he plays like he did tonight I easily agree he should stick in the lineup. I can't say that another player couldn't have roofed it on a 2on1 like he did. The whole team seemed to get their chances against Toronto.

Toronto is very different than LA though.

Guys he played with energy, something he brings every night. You can't say that about Higgins, Vey and sometimes Burrows, Hansen and Bonino. Just because he doesn't play the "sexy" game, doesn't mean he isn't valuable. On some nights he is the only one with flair and spark. He isn't out there for possession statistics and shit like that, he is a third/fourth line winger played by the coach in some situations where he shouldn't be. But to compare him with Vey in terms of game, no. Also you can't say a player on those lines wouldn't play the same way? Dorsett had three points and the team scored 4 goals. I just don't think Vancouver fans know fire and determination even if it smacked them in the face with a pillow case full of bricks.

Edited by Kendrick

I didn't once compare him to Vey. I said they were both the worst possession players on the team, that's it. Saying that possession doesn't matter is fucking foolish, by the way. Having the puck > not having the puck. Even if you aren't scoring, it means the other team doesn't have the god damn puck. I will guarantee that everyone on the team has better possession numbers away from Dorsett than they do with him. Notice that the team's that tend to do well in terms of puck possession are kind of winning a lot of hockey games.

He's a solid 4th line energy guy, yeah. He doesn't fit anywhere but there, and are you going to try and fuck with that line as it is right now? The thing is, when the team is healthy there are 12 guys I would rather have playing than Dorsett most nights. Higgins, Burrows, and Hansen are all better two-way forwards than Dorsett. While I agree that would make one or two of them expendable via trade, they are better players. Having Dorsett chasing the puck around, hitting things, and taking dumb penalties doesn't really help score goals. Y'know, the point of the sport?

I didn't once compare him to Vey. I said they were both the worst possession players on the team, that's it. Saying that possession doesn't matter is fucking foolish, by the way. Having the puck > not having the puck. Even if you aren't scoring, it means the other team doesn't have the god damn puck. I will guarantee that everyone on the team has better possession numbers away from Dorsett than they do with him. Notice that the team's that tend to do well in terms of puck possession are kind of winning a lot of hockey games.

He's a solid 4th line energy guy, yeah. He doesn't fit anywhere but there, and are you going to try and fuck with that line as it is right now? The thing is, when the team is healthy there are 12 guys I would rather have playing than Dorsett most nights. Higgins, Burrows, and Hansen are all better two-way forwards than Dorsett. While I agree that would make one or two of them expendable via trade, they are better players. Having Dorsett chasing the puck around, hitting things, and taking dumb penalties doesn't really help score goals. Y'know, the point of the sport?

Their 4th line is essentially their 3rd line anyways. That's why I said he was a 3/4th line guy. He isn't out there for possession, he is out there to provide a spark and get dirty in the corner boards; which is what he does. Higgins is indispensable though, as he is largely invisible all night long. Your paragraph is kind of a douchey way of getting it across, goodness. Heaven forbid someone with an outside look at a team comes in and shares what he sees.

When the Canucks lose you wonder why the team is boring and has no jump, yet Dorsett/Kenins/Horvat are three of the players that give a shit night after night. Don't fault a player when he is put in certain positions that will make him fail because of the style he plays. Having one player out there to provide a jump who isn't a possession player is not the end of the world. Casey Cizkikas, Lance Bouma, Doug Clifford are all not going to be posters on kids walls but they bring the same thing Dorsett brings and thats something teams need. Hate the guy all you want but don't complain when the Canucks are boring/slow/dry/lack any sort of fire. Have fun with defending guys like Higgins and Burrows who essentially have declined to the point of being 20 point players. Oh look at that! Dorsett has over 20 points now.

The players with a worse Corsi than Dorsett: Henrik, Vey, Horvat, Kassian, Kenins.

The players with a worse Fenwick than Dorsett: Henrik, Vey, Kassian, Kenins, Horvat, Richardson, McMillan.

Those two stats are really the only ones they really track with puck possession. So unless someone has another stat than by all means Dorsett has assured his spot in the lineup is justified. I hate advanced stats too so this killed me to write.

The players with a worse Corsi than Dorsett: Henrik, Vey, Horvat, Kassian, Kenins.

The players with a worse Fenwick than Dorsett: Henrik, Vey, Kassian, Kenins, Horvat, Richardson, McMillan.

Those two stats are really the only ones they really track with puck possession. So unless someone has another stat than by all means Dorsett has assured his spot in the lineup is justified. I hate advanced stats too so this killed me to write.

Source please? There's no way in hell that Henrik, Horvat, Kassian, and Kenins have worse possession numbers than Dorsett. Horvat's overall Corsi may not be great, but when he's with Kenins they're both somewhere around 53%. Henrik and Kassian are two of the only players who have consistently been over 50% this season.

EDIT: Per this article (only five days old) the Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen line was at 42.2% on Corsi. With Kenins in that spot, they're 54.5%. Other line deployments show Sedin-Sedin-Kassian running at 61.2% right now, and Richardson's lines are breaking even at 50%.

Edited by Sandro

I'm definitely a Dorsett fan, and I've enjoyed the guy since before he was a Canuck.

That being said, if we have a full lineup I can't always say I'd necessarily want him in the lineup. He brings energy, yes. Canucks usually need that to spark the team.

When I say that I wouldn't mind having someone else there, I also couldn't really say who I would have there instead. Vey I definitely wouldn't slot in instead of him right now. Vey is still growing and hasn't shown consistency. Dorsett brings it.

Right now, you just can't separate the Kenins/Horvat/Hansen line, so that one should just stay put.

With a full lineup it would probably be something like....

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian/Burrows/Vrbata

Matthias - Bonino - Vrbata/Kassian

Burrows/Kassian - Richardson - Dorsett

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

So yeah, Dorsett would definitely be in there. I'm not sure what I was saying before about Dorsett not being in the lineup. I guess he would be in my case. :lol:

I'm starting to think that Desjardins is just not a good coach. I know he's a rookie, but the issue is he makes the same two or three mistakes over and fucking over. He's better at managing the players than Torts, sure, but he fucking refuses to change strategies that aren't working and there's no way he's not aware.

The powerplay has been abysmal since November.

He claims Horvat can't play on the PP because it needs to set up on a certain side of the ice. Well fuck, it's not working so why not change it up?

Why does Linden Vey continue to play in the NHL?

Why is Dorsett deployed in a non-4th line role?

Why isn't Horvat's line the designated second line, they're already our second best line behind the Twins.

Why does Sbisa-Bieksa keep happening as a pairing?

Why does our third best d-man at 5-on-5 (Corrado) keep getting fucking yo-yo'd between Vancouver and Utica while Ryan Stanton and Adam Clendening get to stick around?

FUCK.

Yeah..... Linden Vey should be in Utica or something for now.

Horvat definitely needs PP time and more ice time. They are easily the 2nd line. Hell, in last night's 6-2 loss the Horvat line was a +3.

Bieksa and Sbisa are both guys that need to be aided with a more defensive guy on their pairing, so it makes no sense having them together. Hamhuis use to be a great balance for Bieksa.

Corrado should definitely stay on the team.

Really, there's no excuse for that loss, and it's hard to believe they will rebound against the Kings on Saturday in a 1PM game start.