[VHLM] S84 Dispersal Mock Draft

[VHLM] S84 Dispersal Mock Draft

unknown.png

Hello everyone and welcome to my unofficial VHLM S84 Dispersal Mock Draft! This draft will be a very interesting one, as I feel like there's a lot of players that can climb the draft board, but there's also people that can fall on the draft board. I'll be predicting picks 1-10, only the first round, as after that it really becomes hard to predict who's going when. Oh, also, @Moon will be joining me sharing his prediction on who will go for each pick, but I'll be the only one explaining why I think the player is going then, as it's my media spot. Without further adew, let's get to the mock draft, shall we?

:mex:1. Mexico City Kings:mex:

Moon's Prediction: G - Henry Tucker Jr @NSG

Cole's Prediction: G - Henry Tucker Jr @NSG

Alright, both of us are going to be starting out similar, as the first couple of picks I feel like are going to be pretty easy to predict. It's funny, because I'm also the Mexico City Kings GM, so I could be having fun and leaking the first overall pick early, or I could be lying to you guys and completely picking someone else, so have fun with that. However, looking at Henry Tucker Jr, they had an alright showing with the Halifax 21st, putting up a respectable .908 sv%, with a 1.61 GAA. They also sported a 7-1-0 record, which is very impressive for a player that was essentially the backup for the team. I think any team in this draft would love to have a goalie, as goalies are very limited in this draft, but Henry Tucker Jr going early would not surprise me, as they're one of the highest TPE goalies at the moment eligible for draft. This could be a huge pick for the Kings, as they would have one of the best goalies backstopping them for the season, and with the success his father, Henry Tucker had brought to the VHL, you'd think that his son would follow in his footsteps, creating his own legacy with whoever he lands with.

:sdm:2. San Diego Marlins:sdm:

Moon's Prediction: G - Karl Pedersen @JeffD

Cole's Prediction: G - Karl Pedersen @JeffD

Next up, we have San Diego Marlins, and both Moon and I agreed yet again, that another goalie would be taken, this time it is Karl Pedersen, JeffD's player. It would make the most sense that after Mexico City picked a goalie, that it would start the goalie train, where multiple teams would start to panic and pick goalies, as not many of them are in the draft, only a handful. The reasoning for picking Karl Pedersen specifically, is they are the highest TPE eligible goalie for the draft, and whoever Mexico City takes, San Diego will take the other. Karl Pedersen didn't play on a team last season, so the Marlins will not have many stats to go off of, but being one of the highest TPE eligible goalies for the draft, you would assume that they would do a fantastic job between the pipes for the Marlins. The Marlins are going to be looking to contend this season, after a fantastic last season, making it far in the playoffs and almost winning.

:phi:3. Philadelphia Reapers:phi:

Moon's Prediction: RW - Otis Boudreaux @Otis Boudreaux

Cole's Prediction: RW - Otis Boudreaux @Otis Boudreaux

Coming in on number three on the list, we have Otis Boudreaux, the first skater taken on the list. Otis was just named the AGM for the Reapers, and with the first two picks being goalies, you would assume that if Otis Boudreaux is left open by the time the Reapers pick, they're going to select their AGM's player. Now, I could be wrong, but this just seems like a very obvious choice for the Reapers, as Otis Boudreaux is a very active first gen, and also is one of the highest TPE skaters in the draft, an easy decision to be made by @Masu Chan. Otis put up 9 points in 22 games in the regular season, putting up 5 goals and 4 assists. However, in the playoffs Otis really shined, showing they can be relied on for a deep playoff run, putting up 10 points in 11 games. They were also able to net 6 goals in the playoffs, which is pretty impressive for a newer player. Otis Boudreaux will be taking his talent to the Reapers, where the Reapers will be looking to make a deep playoff run with some of their players returning to their roster for this upcoming season.

:sdm:4. San Diego Marlins:sdm:

Moon's Prediction: D - Gruffud Theofylaktos @JigglyGumballs

Cole's Prediction: C - Todd Cooke @l1l KRZY l9l

Alright, this is when @Moon and I finally start to disagree on some picks, content! San Diego has another top pick, in which they don't need a goalie, so they're going to be going for a skater. My prediction is that San Diego Marlins will be going for Todd Cooke, the highest TPE skater available in the draft, that is also a first gen. Todd Cooke had an impressive run last season in the M, playing all 72 games. Todd was able to put up 16 goals, 31 assists, good for 47 points, and a +26 on the Ottawa Lynx, an impressive stat line for sure. In the playoffs, they seemed to not be able to find their footing, as they only had 5 points in 12 games, a bit of a rough stretch for the young centerman. I think the Marlins adding an elite forward to their group with already one of the best goalies in the draft, should be able to make another strong push into the playoffs, and potentially win the championship.

:mis:5. Mississauga Hounds:mis:

Moon's Prediction: G - Odette Boudreaux @Odette.Boudreaux

Cole's Prediction: G - Geoff Bezos @Quik

Next up, we have the Mississauga Hounds who will be picking at fifth in this draft, and @Moon and I both agree that they'll be taking a goalie with this pick. It's very obvious that the later we go into the first round, the more and more a goalie is going to be needed to make a potential run in the playoffs, as they're the most important piece of any team. Another thing to keep in mind is that not every single team in the league is going to have a human goalie, and the difference between a human goalie and a bot goalie in the attributes is absolutely massive. The reason why I think the Hounds are going to go with Geoff Bezos is the fact that I think Bezos will be a bit more reliable. Odette Boudreaux is a bit on and off on activity, so they could be a very risky pick, however if they do workout for the Hounds, I actually think that they could be a better pick then Bezos at this pick. Bezos didn't play last season in the M, but they should be a fantastic goalie between the pipes for any team that they land on!

:hou:6. Houston Bulls:hou:

Moon's Prediction: G - Geoff Bezos @Quik

Cole's Prediction: D - Gruffud Theofylaktos @JigglyGumballs

Moving on, we have the Houston Bulls picking at sixth in the draft, with also having another pick at tenth in the draft, the last in the first round. Again, @Moon and I disagree on who is going to be going here, while he thinks that a goalie will be taken, I think a defenseman will be taken. Gruffud Theofylaktos sitting towards the top of the draft board, being one of the highest TPE players available, I think they finally land a home and that place is going to be the Houston Bulls. This player has slid super far in my opinion, and it's only a matter of time before a team is willing to take a risk on Theofylaktos. Theofylaktos played for the Las Vegas Aces last season, putting up an impressive 63 points in 72 games, with 15 goals and 48 assists, but a massive +71 in the plus/minus category. Not only that, but in the playoffs they ended up putting up 7 points and a +7 in 16 games, proving that they are one of the best players in the draft, let alone the best defenseman in the draft. This player is the definition of a "boom or bust" prospect, and if this player is able to continue their dominance, they'll be the steal of the draft without a doubt in my mind.

:mia:7. Miami Marauders:mia:

Moon's Prediction: LW - Ben McLaughlin @Ben mclaughlin

Cole's Prediction: LW - Ben McLaughlin @Ben mclaughlin

Coming in at seventh on the draft board is the Miami Marauders, and finally @Moon and I are able to agree again! I think this is a very obvious pick, and this one will be spot on, as the Miami Marauders had just recently announced that @Ben mclaughlin will be their AGM, and he'll most likely be available come their pick. Ben McLaughlin on top of that played for the Miami Marauders last season after being traded for the Mexico City Kings, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they land back with the Marauders. In 47 games played split between the Marauders and the Kings, McLaughlin put up 36 points, 15 goals and 21 assists, but a -40. Do not be alarmed though, as the -40 is because he played with the Mexico City Kings, who had a very rough season, finishing last. In the playoffs, McLaughlin had a respectable 3 points in 6 games, two of those points being goals. I think this is a no brainer pick for @Ledge and it should be an easy selection for him.

:hfx:8. Halifax 21st:hfx:

Moon's Prediction: D - Doug Britton @Doug Britton

Cole's Prediction: G - Odette Boudreaux @Odette.Boudreaux

Up next, we have the Halifax 21st with the eighth pick in the draft, to which @Moon and I start to disagree again, fun! My prediction is that the Halifax 21st will take a goalie regardless, as they have players returning to their roster and all they really need is a semi-decent goalie to be able to fuel them back to a potential playoff run. Who is the best remaining goalie at this pick you might ask, well it's Odette Boudreaux! I actually talked a bit about Odette a couple picks before, but I think if this player ends up becoming a bit more active, they could actually be a massive steal for the 21st. Odette ended up playing 42 games last season, sporting a 11-24-7 record, but having a .908 sv% with a 3.04 GAA on a struggling Houston Bulls team, not bad! All the 21st need is a goalie like I said, and I think they're destined to potentially make a run in the playoffs. Sadly, this means that the duo of Odette and Otis will be split up, but who knows, maybe they will get reunited at the trade deadline?

:mex:9. Mexico City Kings:mex:

Moon's Prediction: D - Phil Strasmore @Phil

Cole's Prediction: D - Doug Britton @Doug Britton

The second to last pick in the mock draft is finally here, and it's the Mexico City Kings selecting at ninth overall in the draft, the second to last pick in the first round. @Moon and I agree on a defenseman, however, with @Moon saying that Doug Britton goes to Halifax, he then resorts to the next best defenseman available, which would be Phil Strasmore. I ended up going with Doug Britton, as Doug has proven that they are a force to be reckoned with in the VHLM. This player actually ends up sliding down in the rankings, not due to the fact that they aren't active, or that their player isn't producing, but because of the fact that many goalies are going to be early, something the Kings must be happy with to get a top 5 player at pick 9. Doug Britton played last season with the Houston Bulls and the Halifax 21st. In 72 games, Doug Britton put up 47 points, 18 goals and 29 assists, pretty impressive for a two-way defenseman. This player has proven that they can put the puck in the back of the net, and they could be a modern day Cale Makar if I had to say there was any comparison. In the playoffs, this player hard fell off though, as they only had one point in 11 games, something that is a bit concerning, and potentially why they slip so far down in the draft. Regardless, Doug Britton is an active first gen and any team they can pick up this player will be taking them if they get to their pick!

:hou:10. Houston Bulls:hou:

Moon's Prediction: D - John Poremba Jr @CrlineDijohn14

Cole's Prediction: D - John Poremba Jr @CrlineDijohn14

The last pick in the first round of the draft, and the last pick in the mock draft belongs to the Houston Bulls. There's not much to say about this pick, as both of us agree that it's going to be John Poremba Jr heading to the Houston Bulls. I think that a way to make up for a weak goalie potentially, is by drafting an absolutely stacked D core, and if they're able to get both Theofylaktos and Poremba Jr, this team will have one of the best defensive units in the league. Poremba Jr ended up playing with the Halifax 21st and the Philadelphia Reapers last season, where they recorded 39 points, 6 goals and 33 assists, with a +41 in 72 games. In the playoffs, they also produced very well for the 21st, putting up 7 points in 11 games, with a +8, showing that they can produce in the playoffs under high pressure situations. I think that whoever ends up picking up Poremba Jr will have a super solid defenseman for the season coming, and a great TWD with passing capabilities on their team!

Alright, we're finally done with the Mock Draft. This took a really long time to do, as we put a lot of thinking into this, but we thought this would be some great content for you guys as the draft is happening Monday, why not get some draft hype going eh? I also want to give a quick shoutout to @Moon for collaborating with me, it was a super fun collab and I hope we can do more in the future!

Honorable Mentions: LW - Daniel Weaver @ThePerfectNut, C - William Futch @Futch, and LW - Fred Hampton @TownBizness.

2000+ words, not including titles.