Blessed by STZ - S84

STZ

A tale as old as time.. I review my picks in VHFL, and explain why once again the champ made the best picks.

This year I started in the third overall spot. I Actually passed on my own player, as I didn't think I'd be doing well enough and I wanted to make sure I got the guy I wanted anyways. I'm kinda tired of blessing my own players, so I decided to go Forward heavy this season, as last year it seemed as though the drop off from elite forward to mid forward was bigger than elite forward to mid defense. Anyways, that was my thought process going into this draft.

3rd Overall - Saku Kotkakoivu @DollarAndADream

This pick has been my bread and butter for the last two years. I got him late two years ago, and then picked him up last season. This in my opinion was a safe pick. He's gonna put up points, and will be solid with hits. With Idaho off the board I had Saku ranked second. He's had a slower start, but this happened last year and absolutely crushed it in the second half of the season. 

10th Overall - Nico Pearce @Spartan

At 10 I take Nico, and bless Spartan for the first time (I believe). Nico is going to be a stud, I put him in my predicitons for most improved, and I think another award for points or something.. I think at the time I went with another safe pick locking down points and hits. Nothing ground breaking. I would have loved to have blessed Vinny again, but he was taken just ahead of Pearce. I saw three of the top defense taken, soi I decided to double down on forwards.

15th Overall - Taylor Mourning @scoop

I was originally thinking I need to go defense at this point, however with Mourning on the board I had to take him. He had an off year last season, and still put up a huge hit total and solid points. This was a steal at this point, and was just a no-brainer at 15.

22nd Overall - Oskar Lindbergh @Doomsday

So the next round (a week later) saw both Booberry and Papa taken. I didn't want to be late toi the Goaler party, so I took the best one in Lindbergh. I had Booberry last season, but I always hate being the guy to start the G-Train. I'm more than happy to get Doom on the squad though, and I think TO could be a good team to ride anyways, and Lindbergh could actually out perform the rest of the field, seeing more shots.

27th Overall - Tui Sova @v.2

This was the absolute steal of the century. People probably passed on Sova because he's softer than a soup sandwich, but he's going to put up an insane amount of points. The fact that I got Tui in the fifth round is mind-boggling. I know he won't get hits, but for a defenseman who could be top ten in points, how do you not go after that. Sova needed a blessing in his second last season, you're welcome, v2 for all the awards and statline increase you will get from this pick.

33rd Overall - Mikhail Kovalchuk @Banackock

I went with Bana's player Kovalchuk in the last round. Surprisingly Bo Johansen was still around, but I opted with Kovalchuk. Admittedly we were like two sims in and I looked at the index like a bozo, and took Kovie who had a good first two sims. Might have been a classic blunder, but I just need to believe that this was meant to be. I really hop my last pick doesn't drag bunt my entire team into 2nd place. I don't know how Bana is getting 2 hits per game with 40 CK while only getting .5 a game last year (maybe ST increase?), but I'm just banking on Bana somehow having some inside knowledge of the engine and Kovie just pounding the league for 90+ points and 150+ hits. 

I think you're going to have a very good fantasy year--without my computer available, I did much more "this looks like a solid option, let's run with it" than "I have to find the best pick here" when I was up...and I might end up paying for that. A lot of yours certainly made me wonder why I never noticed the player in question (and towards the end I was starting to care more about getting our draft over with than winning 😄).