Non-VSN S84 VHL Rookie Ladder

leandrofg

We're a third into the season, and teams are up and running, fighting for position in the standings. Therefore it's time for the non-VSN S84 VHL Rookie Ladder, which could be a Media Spot, but I need it as a .com article!

The season 83 draft class is touted as one of the deepest of the past years, and it shows, but we have season 84 draftees making waves in the VHL this season... and a season 82 surprise.

Before the season started, we had a clear favorite for rookie of the year, the South-African prodigy and Helsinki Titan, Hammar Voss. Spoiler alert, Hammar doesn't make this list.

5. At number 5, we have a small surprise coming from Chicago. This team started hot last season, but they seem to be keeping the fire lit for longer on this one. Red Gaming has been part of that effort, protecting Chicago's net safe from being violated. After last season's endeavor in the VHLE with Vasteras, Red Gaming has kept his level up with 19 wins. That comes with a .633 win percentage, .925 save percentage, 2.33 goals against average, and adding 2 shutouts to sweeten the pot. Of course, Chicago's defense led by Bo Johansson has something to do with this, but let's not underestimate Gaming's influence.

4. Our number 4 is everyone's favorite Aussie, Callum Murray. The Stars' number 1 prospect has been leading their defense this season and doing a fine job at it! After jumping a season in the minors to show his worth in the VHL, he's already showing it. With 24 points scored, most of which came from assists (21), Murray is revealing a fabulous presence on the ice. Making almost all the right calls, they already have 47 hits, 63 shots blocked, and a .56 P/20 (Points per 20 Minutes).

Now, these three... it gets tough to separate. But it shall be done.

3. Coming at number 3, we have the former King, Tomas Sogaard. Now playing in a Duncan Idaho-less Moscow team, Sogaard has found his place. Do we dare to say Sogaard is thriving on it? He's been a steady force on the 1st-line and has found consistency in his game. He continues to set his teammates for success, having 16 assists and 8 goals in 30 games, on a .53 P/20. Not only that, but he hoists 2 game-winners and 4 powerplay goals.

2. At number 2, we have the rookie scoring leader and New York American Pierre Emile Bouchard. In what seems to be a theme in this list, Pierre has also skipped a season in the minors. Even with New York at the bottom of the league, that hasn't fazed Bouchard. Although he's been playing in the 2nd-line, he's making the most of his ice time. Currently leading the rookies with 28 points in 31 games, with a .59 P/20, he also has 37 hits and 71 shots blocked.

1. At the top of the ladder, but the bottom of the article, Landon Wolanin! The 21-year-old Left Winger has been great for the Wranglers, who are still trying to find their groove. Although he's been sharing time between the 1st and 2nd lines, Wolanin has shown his value already. With 13, he leads all rookies in goals and adds 10 assists to his name. He, too, like Sogaard, has 2 game-winners to his name and holds a marginally higher .55 P/20.

Other notable absences from this list are Art Vandelay and Augustus Kennedy. Both these goalies play on subpar teams and haven't had much luck with their respective defenses, although they're playing at a high level. Also outside this group is the "Portuguese Wonder" Leandro Goncalves, who has been splitting time with Wolanin. After a hot start, he's found a slump and has been less consistent in the past games.

Shameless plugs;

Edited by leandrofg
Grammar;

Waiting for Gustav's mandatory 'Vandelay'....

Good write up Leandro. I think you are underselling yourself, but I get it. I would not be confident to toot my own horn and there are indeed some prime rookies to choose from. You are just unlucky (at least statwise) that you ended up in such a strong rookie class...

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Sogaard #1 and Argos FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY

by what metric is in your opinion Argos to be considered (apart from being a rookie and playing for Moscow ;) )? Just for my education, I may well have overlooked a significant stat or wongly interpreted same...

5 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

by what metric is in your opinion Argos to be considered (apart from being a rookie and playing for Moscow ;) )? Just for my education, I may well have overlooked a significant stat or wongly interpreted same...

Because he's elite. None of your metrics are needed :P 

5 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Waiting for Gustav's mandatory 'Vandelay'....

Good write up Leandro. I think you are underselling yourself, but I get it. I would not be confident to toot my own horn and there are indeed some prime rookies to choose from. You are just unlucky (at least statwise) that you ended up in such a strong rookie class...

I appreciate that, but all good. I'd rate myself at number 6, truly. Just gotta show something more to fit into the top 5! 😅

3 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

His plus/minus is pretty good! I'll take @Brandon off the list for @Insypher next week, @Spartan😏

11 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

I appreciate that, but all good. I'd rate myself at number 6, truly. Just gotta show something more to fit into the top 5! 😅

His plus/minus is pretty good! I'll take @Brandon off the list for @Insypher next week, @Spartan😏

Better leave em both on, considering they both scored goals on Calgary when we beat you guys 5-3 this season :D