Calgary Wranglers Team Awards: Season 84

Ricer13

Thought I forgot about these!?!? Hell to the no! I had a very busy off-season with a lot going on IRL so these just got bumped until the VERY LAST POSSIBLE SECOND! But hey, we are here, as the great Etta James would say “at last.”

:cal:Top Shelf Award:cal:

For the first time since I have started these awards we have TWO winners of the Top Shelf Award. With 36 goals a piece last season Luc Tessier @KC15  and Saku Kotkakoivu @DollarAndADream will be fighting over this award all season long until we award a new winner after season 85. Both of these players are legendary people and deserve the recognition for having a great season. Congrats to both of them!

:cal:Rybak Trophy:cal:

Saku Kotkakoivu @DollarAndADream wasn’t sharing another trophy! He edges out Erlantz Jokinen by ONE point to capture another Rybak Trophy to add to his trophy case. He lead the team in points for a second straight season and taking home his second Rybak Trophy! In a down season by his standards can Saku bounce back and continue his offensive dominance in season 85? I have no doubt! Congrats to Saku Kotkakoivu on winning the Rybak Trophy.

:cal:Last Line Award:cal:

The Last Line Award is given to the top defensmen during the regular season. This one was very close as we had two outstanding performances last season from a defensmen. However, we felt it was right to send off Asher Reinhart @rjfryman into the sunset with this award. He finished fourth in team scoring with 73 points which was just over a point per game and his defensive play spoke for its self. He was a consistent performer all season long even though he was long past his peak. I want to thank Asher for his time in Calgary and congratulate him on a good career.

:cal:Jubis Memorial Trophy:cal:

This was such a hard trophy to hand out this season. Calgary is full of members who are making waves in the VHL and who are all demonstrating the potential to have long term success in this league. We have decided to award Landon Wolanin @jacobcarson877 the Jubis Memorial Trophy for Season 84. THIS GUY WON THE ELMEBECK!!! He is clearly making an impact in this league and it is not going unnoticed. It’s been amazing to watch what he’s accomplished in such a short period of time and I expect great things from him in this league.

:cal:The Sheriff's Badge:cal:

Another difficult award to give out! We have a ton of leaders in our locker room. I could give this award to 4 or 5 people easily but it’s being given to Mr. Daniel Janser @Daniel Janser. He has consistently been a locker room favourite, so much so he has now been award with the Captaincy for Season 85. He’s a die hard Wrangler through and through, always keeping the positive vibes going not matter the state the team is in and can always be counted on to perform on the ice. Congratulations Daniel Janser on winning the season 84 Sheriff’s Badge.

:cal:Young Buck Award:cal:

The Young Buck award is given to the Prospect who had an exceptional season either down in the M or the E. We had a couple of good candidates but we felt one stood above the rest. Congrats to Lorenzo Cobberson @Hendrix Cobberson for winning the season 84 Young Buck Award!  He led a dominant Mississauga team with 88 points during the regular season. This total was 40 points higher than the previous season and is a great example of how well he progressing down in the minors. Hopefully some day soon we will see him dress in a Wranglers uniform.

:cal:Most Valuable Wrangler:cal:

We have made it to the prestigious Most Valuable Wrangler Award. This award is given to the player who was the most valuable to the team throughout the regular season. The winner of the season 84 MVW Award is Defensemen Erlantz Jokinen @jRuutu. As a defensmen Jokinen pushed Kotkakoivu all season long in the points race. He finished one point back with 80 points and led the team with 62 assist and 156 shots blocked. He was a force on both ends of the ice and that is all you can ask for out of one of your top defensmen. Congrats Erlantz on a successful season, I hope to see another season like that from you in season 85!

Thank you everyone for tuning into our awards! Next season our awards will be back for the POINT TASKS! Due to the busy nature of my summer they were neglected but will make their triumphant return after season 85. 

Words: 780

It is true what Ricer said, it is difficult to pick worthy candidates for the non-statistical awards. Not due to the lack of candidates, but the plethora of same.

This makes it all the more thrilling that I walk away for the fourth time in a row with silverware and I hope to repay that trust with performance on the ice and being an allround good chap in the LR.

Please all know that I value each and every one of you, whether you were considered this season for a distinction or not and you all are important for the success of the franchise we all love and cherish so much.

I think I speak for us all when I say this has mainly to do with our stud GM @Ricer13 who makes the Wranglers a place we all want to be in and every one of us wants give our all to make the franchise a success.

16 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

I think I speak for us all when I say this has mainly to do with our stud GM @Ricer13 who makes the Wranglers a place we all want to be in and every one of us wants give our all to make the franchise a success.

Amen! to all of what our captain says, but particularly this bit.

Go Wranglers!