A Reminder To Take Care of Yourself

thadthrasher

Things have been hectic as of late. Work has been incredibly busy with events, multiple late night meetings, and endless early mornings. I've had a few days where I wake up before my son and wife and I don't get home until after my son is already in bed. Those days have really been the hardest. But, alongside that, I had the painful joy of sitting beside a woman as she took her last breath and was able to provide some comfort to her family, I've had more and more hospital visits stacking up, and it seems like I keep saying, "next week will be better," and of course next week is never better.

As I was walking over to my office this morning, I caught a glimpse of one of our maple trees that has recently changed colors, now a bright and vibrant red. The sun highlighted the deep hue, the sky blue behind it, and I paused for a moment to simply breath. It was a breathe that was refreshing, calming, and it brought some ease into my chaotic life.

One of the things I've been thinking through and reading more about is the value of taking time off. The importance of NOT being "on" for 24/7, but taking a day to do exactly what I did before stepping into my office this morning, to breath. A day to unplug, step back, rest. I feel like there are many of us, if not all of us here in the VHL, who go 24/7 without giving ourselves a break. Without breathing. It's something I've always struggled with, personally. I like to stay busy, to be engaged in whatever I'm doing. I enjoy the busy lifestyle, but it often catches up to me and when there is too much all at once it can become overwhelming. I need to remember to take time off, and not feel guilty for it. 

I want to encourage you to make some time for yourself to rest today or in the next few days. Unplug from the internet, put down your phone, step away from the TV. Don't check your email, don't worry about texts or answering phone calls. Be still for some time, read something you haven't read before, go for a walk, enjoy the outdoors. Breath.

59 minutes ago, thadthrasher said:

Things have been hectic as of late. Work has been incredibly busy with events, multiple late night meetings, and endless early mornings. I've had a few days where I wake up before my son and wife and I don't get home until after my son is already in bed. Those days have really been the hardest. But, alongside that, I had the painful joy of sitting beside a woman as she took her last breath and was able to provide some comfort to her family, I've had more and more hospital visits stacking up, and it seems like I keep saying, "next week will be better," and of course next week is never better.

As I was walking over to my office this morning, I caught a glimpse of one of our maple trees that has recently changed colors, now a bright and vibrant red. The sun highlighted the deep hue, the sky blue behind it, and I paused for a moment to simply breath. It was a breathe that was refreshing, calming, and it brought some ease into my chaotic life.

One of the things I've been thinking through and reading more about is the value of taking time off. The importance of NOT being "on" for 24/7, but taking a day to do exactly what I did before stepping into my office this morning, to breath. A day to unplug, step back, rest. I feel like there are many of us, if not all of us here in the VHL, who go 24/7 without giving ourselves a break. Without breathing. It's something I've always struggled with, personally. I like to stay busy, to be engaged in whatever I'm doing. I enjoy the busy lifestyle, but it often catches up to me and when there is too much all at once it can become overwhelming. I need to remember to take time off, and not feel guilty for it. 

I want to encourage you to make some time for yourself to rest today or in the next few days. Unplug from the internet, put down your phone, step away from the TV. Don't check your email, don't worry about texts or answering phone calls. Be still for some time, read something you haven't read before, go for a walk, enjoy the outdoors. Breath.

So... bender weekend in AC? @Arce