BEST FIRST GENS OF ALL TIME

DoktorFunk

So I don't have time to talk out loud on a podcast this week, but I DO have time to pretend that I'm working and do some writing. I'll kind of look today at Rookie of the Year Award winners for the VHL and see who was REALLY a first gen. Then, if I can be bothered, we may rank them into who was the best or IDK. I thought it'd be interesting. 

So, of all of the RotY Winners (or the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy, if you will) the man himself, Christian Stolzschweiger, was a first gen it seems. He had a pretty good season with 72G 68A 140P (yes this is copy pasted, I can't be bothered). I wonder if this really should be considered, and if maybe I should just skip ahead a decade because this really seems unfair to classify these early players as first gens, as all of them pretty much were. So let's skip ahead a decade.

And, to be honest, I'm just going to skip ahead to people I can see on the portal becuase, once again, I can't be bothered. But I'm sure that there are plenty of players that I'm missing. It might be nice to analyze these players some day, but today is not that day.

As far as I can tell, YEAH!'s player, Edwin Reencarnacion (so I get the joke, like, it's a real last name, but can we please start making these player names easier to spell? Like, I get the same word count from the last name Stone that I do from Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius, and is that fair?) was a first gen. He had a good season with 39G 40A 79P, so that's pretty solid. We've also got Rayz Funk, who backstopped Seattle for many years winning this award, with 28-29-8 3.08GAA 0.913SV% 2SO. So that's also really solid. We've got plenty of candidates, also, like Erik Summers, who was rather underwhelming with 7G 32A 39P +22, which, no offense to him, but that's kinda buns. Like I know he was good for a long time, but c'mon man. Weak award that year.

And honestly, now that I'm looking at it, I think there should be some kind of tracking system for what number player this is for it's creator. Like, maybe a badge next to the name in the portal to signify like a third generation player or something? That would make it way easier to research something like this. So yeah. Implement that shit BoG! What do we even pay you for.

It's very funny to see how much scoring has dropped for rookies, which makes sense. But going back to the first 10 seasons, yeah, I really don't think it's fair to consider those players first gens. This was a niche community that kinda knew what they were doing hopefully. This got way off topic. Sorry about that.

So who is the top ranked first gen of all time? I don't know. Lets say..... Rayz Funk.

3 minutes ago, DoktorFunk said:

And honestly, now that I'm looking at it, I think there should be some kind of tracking system for what number player this is for it's creator. Like, maybe a badge next to the name in the portal to signify like a third generation player or something? That would make it way easier to research something like this. So yeah. Implement that shit BoG! What do we even pay you for.

As someone who has been tracking/looking up first-gens for draft rankings and media, I think this is a really good idea. At the very least, it'd be good to have a badge to show if a player is a First-Gen. 

27 minutes ago, DoktorFunk said:

This but specifically for 1st gens to get a tag in the portal is currently in the works.

P.S. We're also not actually getting paid, so you get what you pay for. 😅

Edited by Shindigs

2 hours ago, DoktorFunk said:

As far as I can tell, YEAH!'s player, Edwin Reencarnacion (so I get the joke, like, it's a real last name, but can we please start making these player names easier to spell? Like, I get the same word count from the last name Stone that I do from Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius, and is that fair?) was a first gen. He had a good season with 39G 40A 79P, so that's pretty solid.

Enjoyed the article! But fwiw I believe YEAH's first player was just Edwin Encarnacion after the baseball player, thus the Re- working on another level for Player 2.

5 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Enjoyed the article! But fwiw I believe YEAH's first player was just Edwin Encarnacion after the baseball player, thus the Re- working on another level for Player 2.

Our PIM lord and savior! 

And yes, Edwin was my first real attempt with a player although I don't think they let me count Encarnacion as a first-gen officially cause I had two trash-tier players in the earlier seasons (Rohan Davey and Ron Dayne III) 

7 hours ago, Shindigs said:

This but specifically for 1st gens to get a tag in the portal is currently in the works.

P.S. We're also not actually getting paid, so you get what you pay for. 😅

I like shiny things, is there a realistic chance that it gets implemented while I am still a first gen? 

9 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

I like shiny things, is there a realistic chance that it gets implemented while I am still a first gen? 

Based on who should be working on it, it will likely be done in "2 days" IYKYK