Can you count to 15?

jRuutu

Trivia is fun. Trivia makes you stop and think for a brief moment; "how am I going to solve this problem?". Sometimes solving the problem does not seem to be worth the time. I got the following question from this week's trivia: As of x when the franchise went defunct, how many unique users GM'd x in the x? I censored the question a little by replacing information with an "x". Let's look at this question closely. I should now go look around and find some kind of team page for this team, and then I should count all the users who GM'd this franchise. Big deal? The options for correct answers are between 15 to 20 names. So I should look at a screen and count the names I see - this is trivia? 

Let's assume I got it correct, I now know how many users GM'd this franchise, would that information be fun to know? Should I know it for some project? I doubt it. It seems so irrelevant. Almost like asking how many goals player x scored in their career. Cool, maybe. Interesting, maybe. Do I need to know it? More than likely not. 

I am not going to research the question above. I will now go back and click one of the four options and see if luck guides my hand. I will write whether I got it correct or not below.

"Incorrect, better luck next time". 

Notice the wording?

Better luck next time, almost as if these questions are meant to be guessed not researched.

I still love the "which of the following goalies is the leader in x stat" question that was clearly submitted years ago because they were the all-time leader as of something like S73 and no later. I've had explained to me like I'm stupid by multiple people that the question isn't incorrect because out of those choices, there's still a leader.

Which I never even disputed, and I never said that the question isn't technically correct. I just don't like that we have questions in the pool that were irrelevant long before we ever even put trivia on the portal. I don't have an issue with most of the way trivia works, but there are examples like that.

I also do agree with the idea that if a question is too complicated, a lot of people will just guess it. I'm conflicted as to whether or not that's an actual issue, because in that situation more work = more TPE, and I feel like that's a general idea you've been in favor of in the past (especially with your articles on donations and such). As long as the information is at least reasonably reachable, and someone might care about the answer, I'm cool with it.

10 hours ago, jRuutu said:

Let's look at this question closely. I should now go look around and find some kind of team page for this team, and then I should count all the users who GM'd this franchise. Big deal? The options for correct answers are between 15 to 20 names. So I should look at a screen and count the names I see - this is trivia?

Funnily enough, if you had actually looked at the question closely, you'd have realized that there isn't actually a team page for that team. The point of that question wasn't to teach users to count, even if some folks could use the practice. It was to make users aware of other historical threads/subforums for a league other than the VHL. Then again if you just take a question at face value, you'd never know that unless someone explained it to you 🙃