Grading the Analfist Fit - North America

STZ

Grading the Analfist Fit - North America

:que: Vancouver Wolves :que:
Fit Grade: B-
Positional Needs:
Vancouver is currently loaded up on Offense. They currently run three defensemen with a top tier goalie. They have a balanced forward core when it comes to age. They will likely be aiming for a defenseman in the draft.

Overview: This is an interesting fit. The only reason I have it as a B, is because likely Vancouver would need to make a trade into the top five, in order to select Analfist. They will likely be buyers at Trade Deadline and will most likely be looking to shore up their back end. With that being said, I think their offensive group is aging and will likely need to replace a max contract for a rookie contract next year - which will probably see Oreo McFleury enter the line-up. However, the option of having another 400+ TPE rookie enter their lineup next year would really give them the option to run a 6-4-1 lineup all next year with a loaded up defense core. I would love to play with Frank, but realistically the fit is there, the likelihood of this being a landing spot is very low.

:la: LA Stars :la:
Fit Grade: B+
Positional Needs:
LA is in a win-now mode. They have two top tier defensemen who are just entering their prime, and then their goalie Art Vandelay who is also just entering his prime. Two veteran contracts on the books are Miglaskems and Vinny Detroit, the latter of which has one more season before retirement. They could essentially run-it-back next season, as long as they cut the salary of at least one of their forwards.

Overview: 6-2-1 lineup has proven to be working as LA stands second in their conference. This could possibly show a new meta, as Vancouver too is looking strong without four defensemen. On paper, I think adding a 400+ rookie contract would be beneficial for LA to keep this roster mainly intact.The likelihood is still rather low for LA to make a trade for a top five lotto pick, but ANalfist would be a good fit for this team. They don’t look like they have any rookie forwards quite ready to make the jump, as most of their prospects look to be VHLM and VHLE career players. I gave them a slightly higher fit rating than Vancouver as they don’t have a prospect like McFleury ready to step in.

:cal: Calgary Wranglers :cal:
Fit Grade: D
Positional Needs:
Well-Rounded. They hold their first pick in S88, but will likely just be drafting the best player available. The team is really built nicely, I think next offseason will require only minor tweaks.

Overview: I think Calgary is set up nicely for the future. They have a really good balance of players in every position and age. Unless they decide to do something drastic, I can’t see them moving any of their pieces. Their biggest decision will come when they have to let a player walk. If I had to guess, it will be a defensemen as it’s already been shown this season that you don’t need a full four, in order to be successful. With that being said, I don’t see Calgary as a good fit for Analfist just because they already have a very strong forward-core that is highly unlikely to be split up.

:chi: Chicago Phoenix :chi:
Fit Grade: B
Positional Needs:
Chicago has a great line-up, with a ton of cap flexibility. Most of their players are on expiring contracts, other than Bo Johansson and BGCOS. Able to run the same team back next season, or make roster changes pretty easily.

Overview: I think realistically Chicago will be looking to bolster their defense more than anything else. It looks as if they are more interested in winning now as all of their players are exclusively S81-S83. From that standpoint, I don’t think they will look at adding a rookie contract next season. Their players are all in manageable cap brackets, so I don’t see them really having to sacrifice much to keep their team together. 

:sea: Seattle Bears :sea:
Fit Grade: B+
Positional Needs:
Well-rounded, all vary ages. GM has shown a history of making big roster changes, not shy of moving up and down the draft and parting ways with key players.

Overview: This is an interesting fit. I think Analfist would actually fit in this line-up pretty well. I’ve never played for Seattle while Bana has been GM, so that would be cool. They are built well with some high end young VHL stars and some veteran players as well. I think Seattle could make a splash, sending their first + a veteran and then all of a sudden be built up front for 4-5 seasons immediately. Seattle is currently in a wild card position, so they could even fall out of playoffs and have a lotto pick. 

:dcd: DC Dragons :dcd: 
Fit Grade: A
Positional Needs:
Final couple seasons of competing for DC. They may enter into a rebuild or could potentially retool around the solid young defensive core they have. DC needs to add a forward in this upcoming draft. I think Analfist could be a prime target for them. Landing a high TPE forward I think extends their window of competition. 

Overview: DC likely has their sights set on a forward in the upcoming draft. I think if they land Analfist, Davis, or even selecting a solid mid-rounder in McKeggegger could help their roster next year, and give them a good starting piece to retool their forward core. The fit is there, however I can see this team moving the first to try and push their team into a playoff position, if they are still a few points out, come the trade deadline. They could use an upgrade on their second line, but the big question is, do they buy now, or invest in the future? I think team performance might dictate the answer to that question. I spent 8 seasons in DC as Benny Graves, and I’d be more than thrilled to rejoin the team.

:nya: New York Americans :nya:
Fit Grade: A+
Positional Needs: Every position. I think NY are big sellers at the trade deadline. They already have two 1sts in S88 and should be able to acquire at least another couple (if even for S89) if they move some of their S80/S81 players.

Overview: I look at this team, and seriously question why they are under-performing. They have a good roster, filled with properly built players. Good line strategy. I don’t understand why they are in second last in the NA Conference, and by a few points. They traded their fourth overall pick for Leduc and a late 1st, and it’s looking like a classic blunder. Their only bright spot is the GM’s player in Napoleon Dynamite, as he has been pretty productive. I could see them trying to run this team back, and use their two firsts to try and add a forward and defenseman. I think they could continue to be a middle of the road team by doing this, and even possibly making the playoffs next year. Or, they tear it all down, and build around Dynamite, Shrimp, Maellard. Kennedy still has a lot of time left in his career, so I could see them sticking with him, but there also could be an interesting goalie prospect that has NYA ties that could land right in their laps come draft day. I look at Jacob Stone as their primary target, and Merome Dilson as a player they target with their Warsaw pick. If they don’t land Stone, I think Calaway is a pretty damn good consolation prize. Analfist would be a good fit, but I think they will be targeting a defenseman come draft day.

:tor: Toronto Legion :tor:
Fit Grade: A+
Positional Needs: In rebuild, could use players in both forward and defense. Starting goalie locked up in S86 draft and franchise center locked up in S87 draft. Could use a stud defenseman and a complimentary player to Atlas. Second line center is locked up with Jimi Jaks, who will likely target a winger if they go forward.

Overview: Sitting in last in the North American conference, this team is really just looking forward to the draft lottery. I think it is a win/win situation, and I don’t necessarily think they care if they get 1st overall. The top five picks would all be extremely helpful for them. There are many options at defense for them with Stone, Calaway, and Bobby Bob. They likely have a short-list for forwards as well, with Analfist being one of the top options there. My guess is that they select a defenseman on draft day, unless there’s a player they want that they don’t want to pass up. They are set in goal with Joel Castle, and are already stacked down the middle. They have a few good prospects, and young VHL players, however they will likely not be on the team when this team is ready to compete - other than Kobe Johnson. It will be interesting to see the direction the team takes and the strategy they use as they add their 4th franchise changing talent. Toronto has been patient, but I think after they add this piece, they can start aggressively pursuing free agents and trading draft picks to secure a competitive team. 

WORD COUNT 1557

CLAIM 2/12 and 2/26

Edited by STZ