Around the League in 716 words

Scurvy

For this week’s Around the League in 500 words I figured I’d cover the crazy race to playoffs in VHL, who is the top scoring Defensive player, and how does fighting work in SIMS and does the VHL need more fights?

RACE TO THE CONTINENTAL CUP
Well as it sits right now it looks like in the NA we will have defending champs Vancouver, Calgary, LA, Chicago, and Seattle fighting to see who is best.  Impressively, after a shitty start has shown why they should be considered one of the favorites to win. Hopefully they can get over their playoff problems and show the club that they have.  LA is another impressive team and has turned it around this year and are deadly.  

Chicago and Seattle are both streaky teams but have the talent to make noise.  Seattle’s addition of past cup winners and former Warsaw teammates Dakota Lamb @dlamband Tavish DeGroot @rory bring some playoff experience and could be a deadly duo if they can keep DeGroot out of the bar. lol  

My NA champ prediction:  LA 

TOP OFFENSIVE DEFENSIVE PLAYER 

This year has been a nice battle for the top scoring defensive player and researching this I found that 6 of the top 10 In defensive player’s in scoring are from the European Conference (NO BIG DEAL).  Clinging to the top spot right now is Warsaw’s Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk with 86 points followed closely by Moscow’s Hammer Voss @BOOM with 84 points.  Davos also has two defensemen representing in the top 10 with Siyan Yasilievich @badcolethetitan and Jake Thunder @Thunder.  Thunder is more known for his defensive prowess, urinary track infections, and wine cooler consumption but has been hot lately.  Vancouver’s Pierre Emile Bouchard is also threating for the top spot and has a team that puts up big numbers fast.  It will be a fun race to see who takes it in the end. 

image.jpeg.d277a415ec2b623d25b39b33d7a18ef2.jpeg

A quick look at top 10:

Biggie Cheese               86PTS

Hammer Voss               84PTS
Siyan Yasilievich           84PTS

Pierre Emile Bouchard 82PTS

Max Torq.                      79PTS

Brian Payne.                78PTS

Jake Thunder              76 PTS

Bo Johansson              73PTS

Callum Murray            72PTS
AirRig GoodBrandSun 66PTS

DOES VHL NEED MORE FIGHTS

image.jpeg.2ad842527c2b65bda21a4c730395ed2a.jpeg

Fighting in hockey has always been a controversial topic.  Some fans and players love the excitement of two players duking it out while some find it offensive and detracting from the game.  We can all agree on one thing though is that neither side is going to change the mind of the other. I can only imagine that imaginary SIM hockey fighting has its nay Sayers and supporters even among the VHL community.  Now I for one love it.  Coming up in the league as a total NOOB I loved seeing my player fight some of the legends like Duncan Idaho, Druss Deathwalker, and Vinny Detroit.

Now there is an attribute for fighting and grit that a player can use their hard earned TPE to increase the chances of a good tilt but I have found that even with grit and some fighting points, fights are difficult to find, Which is odd.  

Let’s take a player like Vasile Lamb @dlamb from Seattle.   A great goal scorer and all-around stud.  He has 80 checking and 40 grit with 0 in fighting.  He leads the league in fights with 9.   #2 with 8 fights is Randy Bobandy also from Seattle. Bobandy has 1 TPE in body checking, 0 in Grit, and 0 in fighting.  

Meanwhile Warsaw Defenseman Jeff Buffy @Strider currently rocks 75 Body Checking, 35 grit, and 73 in FIGHTING and has 7 fights.  Seems like a player like Buffy should be rocking more fights than Bobandy on any given night or #4 in fights Jason Argos in LA who has 8 fights but 15 TPE in Grit and 5 in Fighting?  

Now overall I could care less and needed a topic for this week’s media spot but it’s an interesting subject.  I understand the real game of hockey is a game of emotion and sometimes unsuspecting players can fight sometimes but in a SIM League with attribute points placed in aggressive items It interested me.   Not saying a player with less in fighting or grit is not going to get in a random fight and I support and love to see it when my teammate and goal scorer Girts Galvins gets after it with a good tilt. 

So should there be more fights or would members like to see their player’s name in the box scores?  Not sure.  I barely know how the SIM engine works but do always enjoy seeing my player’s name in a nice brawl and I think it helps build some rivalries.  

See ya next week