Retro Tough Guy Club

Scurvy

Ok.  As I struggle to search the forum for a decent article for the theme week I searched and searched the forum and index to try and find the toughest bunch of brawlers from the VHL’s past.  Trouble was the OG tough guys were very hard to search (maybe I am just that dumb too).  So, in full transparency I am writing this theme piece on some retro tough guys that begins at S54 that does not include some legendary tough guys.  I will still honor them in this piece, but it will only include basic stats.  

Since I started the VHL I have always had a soft spot for fighters and hitters in our league.  I had the honor to play against many and even fought a few legends such as Duncan Idaho, Druss Deathwalker, and more recently studs like Vinny Detroit and Jake Thunder. I have searched hard for those that came before us and found the league had some real killers back in the day. 

Da’Brichashaw O’Neal

The #1 honor is much like Tiger Williams in real life.  He earned his stats early in the league and set the record for #1 and #2 overall in PIMS for a season.  That honor of LEGEND goes to Da’Brichashaw O’Neal. All I could find is that he played for Davos in S11 and S13 where he amassed an amazing 356 PIMS and 320 PIMS.  Dude is an old school legend.  Nobody in the modern era has even come close.  The only modern player to make top 25 in PIMS is former Malmo defenseman Randy Marsh.  Marsh had 274 PIMS in S77 (good for 17th overall) and 260 PIMS in S78 (tied for 24th)-- More on him later. 

Evgeni Komarov @Gooningitup

From what I could find, Komarov only played 4 seasons in the VHL, all for Moscow.   A stay-at-home defenseman who blocked shots and liked to bang.  In those seasons he has a total of 896 PIMS and 896 hits.  In S66 he had a whopping 310 PIMS, good enough for the #5 spot in PIMS for a season. 

Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette @FacePuncher

LPLL played for Toronto and Quebec, winning two cups along the way.  The 602 209 defensemen never put up many points but did he sure put-up hits and PIMS.  In 7 seasons he had 1566 PIMS and 1896 hits.  He scored a total of 30 goals.  In S64 he was able to grab 294 PIMS, good for #8 all time in a season. 

Jacob Smith @jacobaa19

Ok not much on Smith as he only played three seasons for Davos, retiring after S64. Another defenseman, he had some decent numbers in his last season scoring 12 goals 39 assists for 51 points.  That same season he had 266 PIM (good for 21st overall), 252 hits, and 192 SB.  Its sad to see such a promising career end so early.  Smith had skills even scored 34 goals in a season in the VHLM.  

Randy Marsh @oilmandan

Ok so not a super retro player but had to include just on merit.  Marsh played his VHL career with Malmo and Seattle, was drafted #5 in S72, and even won a Jake Wylde trophy.  At his retirement he had a total of 1450 PIMS and 1702 hits. Always a steady PIM producer in S75 he had 210 PIM, S76-230, S77 -274, S78-260. Marsh brought a lot to the table for his clubs but to make the top 25 in PIMs in a season (twice) he has to be on all retro tough guy club.   

So, in closing, I know I don’t have some other all-time greats on here but here is a good showing of some old school toughs that created some havoc in the VHL before our time.  Until next week.

625 words

1 minute ago, AJW said:

If we’re talking PIMs then this player won’t matter. But if we’re talking tough guy club I love Groovy Dood for that. What do you think?

https://vhlportal.com/players/playerfocus/2825

Oh hell yeah..hes a beast.  Dude put up numbers too!   

3 hours ago, Scurvy said:

Randy Marsh @oilmandan

Ok so not a super retro player but had to include just on merit.  Marsh played his VHL career with Malmo and Seattle, was drafted #5 in S72, and even won a Jake Wylde trophy.  At his retirement he had a total of 1450 PIMS and 1702 hits. Always a steady PIM producer in S75 he had 210 PIM, S76-230, S77 -274, S78-260. Marsh brought a lot to the table for his clubs but to make the top 25 in PIMs in a season (twice) he has to be on all retro tough guy club.   

Thanks for the mention. Although some @Banackock didn’t appreciate all the PIMs 😂😂