Commish for a Day: How Much Damage Could We Do?

Arce

image.thumb.jpeg.f77637d5bbc56387f167241bc507d122.jpeg

Reading through these, I’ve seen some interesting ideas. Some very serious ones such as the typical “Delete the E” (which I agree with), even ones that call for deleting the VHLM! And of course the classic funny ones, giving certain members the ban hammer. I’ve seen the league go through many different eras, the rise and fall of many structures, and people come and go. I like bringing back some older ideas to bring into the current VHL era, and enhancing current ones. Keep in mind, this is all for fun.

1. Remove the VHLE as a middle league, and affiliate VHLM teams to VHL parebt teams.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away there was the VHLM and the VHL. Each VHL team has a VHLM affiliate. For example if you got drafted to the HC Davos Dynamo you were playing for their VHLM team as their prospect. So you would have been a member of the Toledo Scorpions. Remove the VHLE, have 16 teams in the M and each one is affiliated with the VHL team. Expand the TPE threshold and give first generation players higher TPE to start off with so they can keep up. Waiver players still sign the same way, as they are not peperty of a VHL team yet. Then you can get creative. You get drafted to your  VHL team, you start off for their VHLM team. BUT you could even initiate a rule that allows the player to be traded to a different VHLM team after since this would hinder trading. For the record I know why this was abolished and why it probably wouldn’t work in today’s VHL but I always loved this about the earlier days of the league.

2. Ban Vasteras from the league for good:

i honestly cannot believe the Vasteras Iron Eagles keep coming back. They were an original VHL team who came in because a member named Pensfan was obsessed with Vasteras. Once I removed them from the league they should have stayed gone. We must initiate an immediate relocation of Vasteras and set a permanent ban so the city may never return again like Palpatine did in The Rise of Skywalker.

3. Return the World Cup back to glory:

If there is one thing that disappoints the hell out of me, it’s the current state of the World Cup. The World Cup used to be a HUGE deal, members looked forward to it every season. Now, no one even knows it’s going on. Something has to be done to return the World Cup hype back. I’ve heard too many times how no one cares and it’s a mockery. This is supposed to be our world stage event and we can’t generate hype for it. I am not sure exactly what I would do to help this at the moment, but I would make it a priority for myself, the other blues and the BOG to get this rolling. Maybe a possible TPE payout for medal winnings would help incentitize people and re-gain their interest. Making the games mean more, draws more interest.

1 hour ago, Arce said:

1. Remove the VHLE as a middle league, and affiliate VHLM teams to VHL parebt teams.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away there was the VHLM and the VHL. Each VHL team has a VHLM affiliate. For example if you got drafted to the HC Davos Dynamo you were playing for their VHLM team as their prospect. So you would have been a member of the Toledo Scorpions. Remove the VHLE, have 16 teams in the M and each one is affiliated with the VHL team. Expand the TPE threshold and give first generation players higher TPE to start off with so they can keep up. Waiver players still sign the same way, as they are not peperty of a VHL team yet. Then you can get creative. You get drafted to your  VHL team, you start off for their VHLM team. BUT you could even initiate a rule that allows the player to be traded to a different VHLM team after since this would hinder trading. For the record I know why this was abolished and why it probably wouldn’t work in today’s VHL but I always loved this about the earlier days of the league.

I hate this idea. Removes the need for a VHLM GM because sooner or later, the VHL GMs are going to micromanage the farm team.

Let's say Halifax is the farm team for Seattle. Seattle's GM wants a certain player's development to to be exceptional, so he demands the Halifax GM gives him top minutes and influences the player's build.

Or how about when Seattle's GM decides they're in win now mode, and sells the farm for an elite player. What is the Halifax GM supposed to do now? Just sit on zero draft picks and a barren team for seasons?

Don't even get me started on this shit if VHL GMs can fire/hire VHLM GMs. The boys clubs that will be made.......

2 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

I hate this idea. Removes the need for a VHLM GM because sooner or later, the VHL GMs are going to micromanage the farm team.

Let's say Halifax is the farm team for Seattle. Seattle's GM wants a certain player's development to to be exceptional, so he demands the Halifax GM gives him top minutes and influences the player's build.

Or how about when Seattle's GM decides they're in win now mode, and sells the farm for an elite player. What is the Halifax GM supposed to do now? Just sit on zero draft picks and a barren team for seasons?

Don't even get me started on this shit if VHL GMs can fire/hire VHLM GMs. The boys clubs that will be made.......

The only decisions the VHL GM can have are calling up/send down to the league. VHLM Commish team still made Al the decisions, and the VHLM GM is still very much needed to manage the team, help the new members, and assure the success of their core. But this is the reality for AHL GMs/coaching. They manage the organizations prospects and are subject to having any of their players called up.

This was something the league got rid of a while back, and I was a GM for Toledo when they were affiliated with Davos. We had the Davos prospects and I was able to sign any waivers/make trades. It’s all in good fun, and there’s a reason the league gravitated away from this system. But I always enjoyed the affiliation aspect of it comparing it to the NHL and it’s affiliates.

59 minutes ago, Arce said:

The only decisions the VHL GM can have are calling up/send down to the league. VHLM Commish team still made Al the decisions, and the VHLM GM is still very much needed to manage the team, help the new members, and assure the success of their core. But this is the reality for AHL GMs/coaching. They manage the organizations prospects and are subject to having any of their players called up.

This was something the league got rid of a while back, and I was a GM for Toledo when they were affiliated with Davos. We had the Davos prospects and I was able to sign any waivers/make trades. It’s all in good fun, and there’s a reason the league gravitated away from this system. But I always enjoyed the affiliation aspect of it comparing it to the NHL and it’s affiliates.

I think with a strict set of rules, sure it could work. But with the community we have now, no way

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, Arce said:

The World Cup used to be a HUGE deal, members looked forward to it every season. Now, no one even knows it’s going on. Something has to be done to return the World Cup hype back.

Every second season* the WC has never been played every season but regardless my hunch on the lack of hype is purely down to over-stimulation; or over-simulation rather. Outside of the season itself what sims did we have back then? A 1 off All-Star game and the WC every 2 seasons, that was it. Now there’s sims of some variety nearly every single day of the year which inevitably makes some of them feel less special. 

37 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Every second season* the WC has never been played every season but regardless my hunch on the lack of hype is purely down to over-stimulation; or over-simulation rather. Outside of the season itself what sims did we have back then? A 1 off All-Star game and the WC every 2 seasons, that was it. Now there’s sims of some variety nearly every single day of the year which inevitably makes some of them feel less special. 

maybe make the WC more then? like every 4 seasons. I wouldn't mind 4 seasons between personally

• Commissioner
5 hours ago, Ahma said:

maybe make the WC more then? like every 4 seasons. I wouldn't mind 4 seasons between personally

That wouldn’t really change anything though. There would still be the same other sims every off season, we’d just only have at best 2 chances at the WC which would not be very many. Like imagine if the WC was in S90 and you were a S91 draftee. You obviously miss that first one because you severely lack TPE, you get one shot in S95, and then at most one shot as you retire in S99. Just doesn’t seem frequent enough to give people a shot at it.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

That wouldn’t really change anything though. There would still be the same other sims every off season, we’d just only have at best 2 chances at the WC which would not be very many. Like imagine if the WC was in S90 and you were a S91 draftee. You obviously miss that first one because you severely lack TPE, you get one shot in S95, and then at most one shot as you retire in S99. Just doesn’t seem frequent enough to give people a shot at it.

thats a fair point

• Admin
On 7/4/2023 at 3:47 AM, Arce said:

3. Return the World Cup back to glory:

If there is one thing that disappoints the hell out of me, it’s the current state of the World Cup. The World Cup used to be a HUGE deal, members looked forward to it every season. Now, no one even knows it’s going on. Something has to be done to return the World Cup hype back. I’ve heard too many times how no one cares and it’s a mockery. This is supposed to be our world stage event and we can’t generate hype for it. I am not sure exactly what I would do to help this at the moment, but I would make it a priority for myself, the other blues and the BOG to get this rolling. Maybe a possible TPE payout for medal winnings would help incentitize people and re-gain their interest. Making the games mean more, draws more interest.

S10s-S20s Scandinavia >>>>

IMO World Cups started going downhill since we started allowing retired players play in their last season. They're not motivated / not involved, let the young guns in.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:47 AM, Arce said:

2. Ban Vasteras from the league for good:

i honestly cannot believe the Vasteras Iron Eagles keep coming back. They were an original VHL team who came in because a member named Pensfan was obsessed with Vasteras. Once I removed them from the league they should have stayed gone. We must initiate an immediate relocation of Vasteras and set a permanent ban so the city may never return again like Palpatine did in The Rise of Skywalker.

Agreed until they came back for a 3rd time and are somehow reliving the same vicious cycle of winning once and never again - the beauty of that gives me faith that there is a higher power than Simon pulling the strings of this made up league.