Who is going to win? "Not my team" - most VHL captains

jRuutu

What kind of player is a captain?

Usually, a well-respected player in the team is selected to be the captain, that player might have a lot of experience, but sometimes you might see the upcoming franchise player get nominated as the captain at an early age.  The role of a captain is largely still the same.  It is up to the captain to push the players in the team forward by motivating the players, and by giving their all to the team. The captain works hard every day, the captain acts professionally on and off the ice. The captain is the level every player should aim to reach.

Despite everything that I just mentioned, some organizations want to see different things from their captains when it comes to media work and charity. Some teams are more popular with a larger fan base, in those cases, it is only natural the captain has certain responsibilities towards the community. Some organizations might allow the captain to party more, while other organizations are strict about it.  Nevertheless, the captain simply leads the troops to battle. They are the shining light that guides the team forward.

To get a better understanding of what kind of captains S90 VHL teams have selected, I analyzed the predictions made by the captains.  I focused only on one question: Who is going to win the Continental Cup?
Unfortunately, not every team has selected a captain and some have refused to make predictions. One captain appears to have hacked the portal to prevent any type of spying, I was unable to open their predictions. Those teams who did not select a captain are referred to as "team name + Maple Leafs".

Who is going to win the Continental Cup?

:prg: Praque Phantoms - Perry Laperriere - Answer: Malmo Nighthawks
:nya: New York Americans -  Francisco Mancini - Answer: No answer
:ldn: London United - Molly the Cat - Answer:  D.C. Dragons
:tor: Toronto Legion - Mac Atlas - Answer:  Toronto Legion
:rig: Riga Reign - The Frenchman - Answer:  Vancouver Wolves
:mos: Moscow Menace - Hammar Voss - Answer: Vancouver Wolves
:la:LA Stars - Callum Murray  - Answer: No answer
:que: Vancouver Wolves - Pierre Emile Bouchard - Answer:  Vancouver Wolves
:dav: HC Davos Dynamo -  David Jokinen - Answer:  HC Davos Dynamo
:mal: Malmo Nighthawks -   Ash Sparks - Answer:   Malmo Nighthawks

:dcd: The D.C. Dragons  - Vincent Laroche-Gagnier - Answer:  Seattle Bears
:chi: Chicago Phoenix - Scotty Sundin - Answer:  No answer
:cal: Calgary Wranglers - Phil Strasmore - Answer:  Toronto Legion
:sea: Seattle  Bears -  Yaroslav Bogatyrev - Answer:   Toronto Legion
:Phil:Warsaw Maple Leafs - No captain
:Phil:Helsinki Maple Leafs - No captain

As you can see, the results are shocking. Among the captains who submitted predictions, only four think their team will win the championship.  

Someone could see publicly nominating a rival to win the championship to be an attempt to motivate the players to work harder, maybe the captain wants to get the players angry and to focus on every detail to prove their captain wrong. Someone could also say that publicly nominating a rival team or in other words publicly saying: "We can not win" is not something a captain should do.

There can be only one winner, at least every fan hopes the winner is their team.

Edited by jRuutu

Article review - Interesting analysis of captaincy in the league.  Not sure that personal predictions on who is going to win the championship impacts how the captain performs their role on the team.  Some teams just know that they are not going to be dominant enough in the league to win the championship, that doesn't mean that the captain isn't giving everything they have to ensure that 2-3 season in the future that isn't the case.

I give this article an 8/10 as I am intrigued by someone looking at the role of a Captain