Is Connor Bedard going to be that good?

sportexperts show

As we all know Connor Bedard is a top tier prospect that just got drafted first by Chicago. But is this man actually good like everyone thinks he is? I mean we all remember Lafreniere and Byfield. They were supposed to be the next Crosby and McDavid but they've had a tough start to their career. But Bedard is different. This man has broke so many records this season from his league to tournaments like the world Juniors. Bedard could seriously be good. For once I think I'm really looking forward to this forward. He's built and has a heck of a shot. We all know the "toe-drag release" that's been used by alot of players but I think bedard's done it the best.

To conclude I am super excited for this guy to step on the ice and show who's boss. Next McDavid? They have the same first name and their both really good at hockey.

Au revoir, Sports expert show 

5 hours ago, sportexperts show said:

They were supposed to be the next Crosby and McDavid

I honestly don't remember a single person ever comparing the top two picks in a rather weak draft to the likes of McDavid and Crosby, but they were certainly expected to at least TRY and play like 1st and 2nd overall selections. They're both only hovering around 21 years of age though so they've got plenty of time to figure their game out.

5 hours ago, sportexperts show said:

This man has broke so many records this season from his league to tournaments like the world Juniors.

That's the big difference that needs to be paid arguably the most attention to until we see them actually play in the NHL. When players in the CHL and the WJC are breaking records set by NHL Superstars and future HOFers, it's usually a good stat to compare and contrast from. Look at all McDavid did for the Erie Otters when he was in the O, for example, or Crosby when he played in the Q. Outstanding careers, and Bedard is breaking their records and even league records in a tougher competitive player pool than what the two other guys faced when they played in the minors. If he can play like that against people of his age group in the modern game, very, very big things are expected of him once he makes the full jump. 

47 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I honestly don't remember a single person ever comparing the top two picks in a rather weak draft to the likes of McDavid and Crosby, but they were certainly expected to at least TRY and play like 1st and 2nd overall selections. They're both only hovering around 21 years of age though so they've got plenty of time to figure their game out.

That's the big difference that needs to be paid arguably the most attention to until we see them actually play in the NHL. When players in the CHL and the WJC are breaking records set by NHL Superstars and future HOFers, it's usually a good stat to compare and contrast from. Look at all McDavid did for the Erie Otters when he was in the O, for example, or Crosby when he played in the Q. Outstanding careers, and Bedard is breaking their records and even league records in a tougher competitive player pool than what the two other guys faced when they played in the minors. If he can play like that against people of his age group in the modern game, very, very big things are expected of him once he makes the full jump. 

Bedard only 53rd all time (kinda joking by this as most are from the 80’s lol).. mcdavid highest 120, Sam Steel 137, Darcy Tucker 140 lol, Jayden Halbgewachs 70g in 72gp and never even drafted RIP.

Bedard is good and will be good. I wouldn’t compare junior stats too heavily though. He’s figured out how to slay in the juniors. Let’s see if he can figure the NHL out. It’s an elevated league from when Crosby etc jumped into it. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/whl/en/records/most-points-in-one-season-by-whl-players.html

Oilers should draft this Brian Sakic fella @rory

Just now, Banackock said:

Bedard only 53rd all time (kinda joking by this as most are from the 80’s lol).. mcdavid highest 120, Sam Steel 137, Darcy Tucker 140 lol, Jayden Halbgewachs 70g in 72gp and never even drafted RIP.

Bedard is good and will be good. I wouldn’t compare junior stats too heavily though. He’s figured out how to slay in the juniors. Let’s see if he can figure the NHL out. It’s an elevated league from when Crosby etc jumped into it. 

https://www.quanthockey.com/whl/en/records/most-points-in-one-season-by-whl-players.html

Oilers should draft this Brian Sakic fella @rory

Ye I more meant it in the sense of like it's impossible to say how good someone is gonna be before they suit up, but if you compare em to some of the greats in todays game from when they played in the same leagues, what he's doing now as compared to what McDavid was doing almost a decade ago, and Crosby almost two, it's a pretty good sign that he's gonna be elite hahaha

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Ye I more meant it in the sense of like it's impossible to say how good someone is gonna be before they suit up, but if you compare em to some of the greats in todays game from when they played in the same leagues, what he's doing now as compared to what McDavid was doing almost a decade ago, and Crosby almost two, it's a pretty good sign that he's gonna be elite hahaha

I don’t disagree. Looking outside of their points, Bedard is much better than Darcy Tucker blah blah I haven’t paid too much attention to Bedard and I don’t know how I feel about him going to Chicago either lol! 

32 minutes ago, KRZY said:

Am I the only one who thinks he’s gonna take a couple seasons to break out like jack Hughes did ?

As a hawks fan, i agree. I think it may take a season or two but once he is comfortable and confident man, the league should watch out. I hope he comes in and just destroys though lmao

1 hour ago, Kisslinger said:

As a hawks fan, i agree. I think it may take a season or two but once he is comfortable and confident man, the league should watch out. I hope he comes in and just destroys though lmao

I don’t think he has the help around him to completely light everything on fire this year . I know he’s playing with hall but I don’t think that’s enough

I feel in an organization like Chicago he’s going to be a Patrick Kane, but sniper. Chicago’s gonna suck for the next three seasons, they’ll get another solid draft pick who will probably play right beside Bedard. After those three seasons I think Bedard will break out and become a top 5 player in the league. Pretty strong opinion but it doesn’t make sense that Chicago isn’t trying to rebuild fast to recreate the Toews-Kane era. It worked once, we just got a generational talent so let’s do it again. Bedard’s gonna be a god in three seasons 

I think he's going to be pretty special.

As generational prospects go, Bedard is interesting and different because he's not big and he's not fast ... it's intelligence and an absurd shot that allowed him to dominate junior hockey the way he did. When you look at a McDavid or Crosby, they pretty well had everything, especially McDavid. Bedard's skating is above average, it's good, but it's not great, and he's small... so it makes him a little harder to project right away, and yeah it gives him a lower floor, but I do think a lot of people are being overly cautious on it. He more than makes up for it with how quick his hands are and how smart he is. Like, no slight on the other two but the skill and smarts I think are above them at the same age, and the shot very clearly is the best of the three. Intelligence is more important than size and speed, too. So yeah, lower floor, slightly lower confidence level on him stepping in and being great right away... but still quite confident that he will be.

I don't think the lack of help in Chicago is going to matter much. Yeah, it creates the opportunity to focus on him defensively without being punished but it also creates the opportunity for everything to run through him. He's going to play a ton from day one, the powerplay is going to run through him from day one, etc. Crosby and OV both pretty handily outscored the next closest teammate in their rookie seasons ... although the Hawks roster may somehow be even more barren ... it shows there is precedent for a player of this calibre to do that without much talent around him.

Honestly, his floor is a bit lower than McDavid/Crosby but his ceiling is not something I'm comfortable putting any sort of limit on. It sounds crazy to say maybe he'll score 70 goals in a season one day, but it would've sounded crazy to say McDavid might score 150 points and here we are, so...

7 hours ago, AJW said:

Chicago’s gonna suck for the next three seasons, they’ll get another solid draft pick who will probably play right beside Bedard.

Perhaps his cousin who is already being spoken of as the next Crosby, McDavid, Bedard 👀

Edited by JB123