Claimed:Heh. [Final: 6/6]

Jala

trevor-linden-canucks_620-thumb-620xauto

There's been a lot of buzz about the recent moves I made on trade deadline day. Some of it's good while some is bad, but I wanted to give my reasoning behind the moves.

Jody 3 Moons:

Trading a captain and veteran of a team is always hard, but 3 Moons had half a season left in the minors before he was moving up to the New York Americans and I felt moving him to the Watchmen put him in a much stronger position to win a cup. On the other side of the coin, I've known [bratislava Intern-GM] De Rossi for a while now and I'd say we're on good terms. Being thrust into the position he was at the time he was is a lot of pressure for a new GM, and coming into the season I think the entire league was aware that Bratislava had to unload one of their first round picks, which added more pressure for him to do so while still getting a decent return. He initially came to me a few days before the trade deadline and let me know he had a first round pick he was looking to move, but said he may have had a deal lined up to move it. I wasn't really in a mindset to move anyone and was content with the Royals most likely ending up a first round playoff elimination. De Rossi came back to me a while later and told me the deal had fallen through and he had no other offers for the first round pick, and asked if I had given trading for the pick any more consideration. He had interest in 3 Moons and I decided that it would be best for Jody if he went to the Watchmen which would push them into a real contender slot in the post season. The deal would help out De Rossi as well as he would get a proper return on his pick and deepen the roster. Bern would get a first round pick to try and deepen the team in this upcoming Disperal Draft and I would get to play with my friend. The deal looked to be a positive from all angles and De Rossi and I signed on the dotted line. I felt like 3 Moons would also enjoy playing with Harumpfs who makes everyone around him better on the ice and even pushed for the top three leading scorers in the league to play on the same line, but management decided it was in the best interests of the team to split us up and bolster the second line, which had been struggling this season.

Jaime Hill:

One of the alternate captains of the Royals and my first pick as a GM, moving Hill was another difficult choice to make. After the 3 Moons deal had fallen into place, Oslo management came to me and inquired if I was looking to move Hill. After moving our leading scorer and with Hill most likely transitioning to the VHL at the end of the season, it made sense to sell off the other big piece of the Bern puzzle. Obviously I was able to discuss more thoroughly with Jaime the decision to move her and much like 3 Moons, she was indifferent to the idea of being moved. With Hill I was again looking to move a player, who wouldn't see another VHLM season, to a contender who could win the Cup and with Oslo knocking on my door, it was pretty easy to pull the trigger on that deal as they are the hands down favorite to lock up the championship. Oslo and I were able to reach an agreement on what Bern would receive and I felt satisfied with the picks we were traded for a player who would be a rental for Oslo's post-season push.

Bern Royals:

I expected a lot more of a reaction then there was after I had shipped off two of the biggest locker room and on-ice presences, but the rest of the team was understanding of the circumstances and were very up-beat about the whole thing. We still have Karlsson locked up for the next two seasons and with their time here working with Hill I expect big things from him. We also picked up another first round pick which I am looking to use to bring back Kyle Kingma and/or Sam Teibert. The latter two are very skilled prospects and great locker room presences already and I hope to be able to bring at least one of them back for another stint in Bern. All in all it was a big shake-up for the organization but I did it with the hopes that I can give at least one of the two who were moved a championship before they move up to the VHL. I was also trying to help a new GM and friend not get fleeced on the market and of course to try and strengthen the Royals' future.

Backlash:

A lot of you know me and have spoken with me or interacted with me in some way. I believe it was even 3 Moons himself who was talking with Hill about how I got along well with everyone around the league. That isn't by accident, that is years of molding myself into a person who tries to be pleasant to everyone and puts the needs of others before their own. I was raised in a house rife with abuse and had a father who was neither supportive nor selfless, a man who wouldn't give a penny to a homeless person. My experiences when I was younger made me realize I wanted to be as I am today. I always try and put my best foot forward and in every situation I try to look for others' best interests. That's what was going through my head when I executed the deals I had at the trade deadline.

Whether his comments were serious or "gorlab being gorlab", the fact that someone I thought of as a friend is insinuating that either Kitras or I purposefully and maliciously hindered his ability to play in the VHLM and interrupt his point-earning pace is ridiculous and mostly, hurtful. It's a stressful job being a GM in this league, especially a new one who has players he manages who are also friends, and tough choices need to be made. It was already an emotional time in my career as I had to lose two friends in the locker room, but that was amplified by what I read today. Logging on for my morning VHL sweep and seeing what I did was not a pleasant way to start my day.

Guess that's just the fuckin' way she goes.

• Head Moderator

Content: 2.75/3 - Good article highlighting your moves around the trade deadline, why you did them and the reaction that was spread by all accounts.  I'd love to give you a full 3 on this, however I found this very difficult to read in some places.  A lot of run-on sentences and starting multiple thoughts before finishing either one.  Either way, this will likely get a 6 in the end.  ~1130.

Grammar: 2/2 - Pretty good for the most part.

Disperal = Dispersal

reaction then there = reaction than there

Appearance: .75/1 - For the length, I would have expected a little more.

5.5/6

Edited by frescoelmo