Boobs, a first-ballot Hall of Fame Story.

leandrofg

Xavier Booberry, Class of Season 89

User: @CowboyinAmerica

NVaCFq3.png

TPE: 2104 (Most All-Time at the time of retirement)

Position: Goaltender

Nationality: American

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 249 lbs.

VHL Drafted: 1st Overall, by the Helsinki Titans

VHLE Drafted: 23rd Overall, by the Vasteras Iron Eagles

VHLM Drafted: 6th Overall, by the Houston Bulls

Played for: Houston Bulls, San Diego Marlins, Vasteras Iron Eagles, Helsinki Titans, HC Davos Dynamo, Seattle Bears

--

Career Awards

Individual

All-VHL First Team (3x) | S88, S85, S83

Aidan Shaw Trophy (3x) | S88, S85, S83

Scotty Campbell Trophy | S88

Greg Clegane Trophy | S83

Brett Slobodzian Trophy | S83

Mitch Higgins Trophy | S79

Team

Renaissance Cup | S80

--

Introduction & VHLM

In hockey, legends are born, not only from their championship victories but also from the indomitable spirit and sheer talent that they bring to the ice. This article pays tribute to one such iconic figure, a goaltender whose remarkable journey through the ranks of the VHL left an indelible mark on the sport despite the elusive championship title that remained just out of reach.

His name is Xavier Booberry, and before his rise to fame in the VHL, his journey began in the minor leagues, the VHLM, where he honed his skills and started making a name for himself. In the challenging and competitive world of minor league hockey, our protagonist's raw talent and relentless work ethic were immediately evident.

He joined a struggling Houston Bulls team that managed to find their way to the playoffs, but, at the time, the Bulls had a more experienced goaltender in town, Aike van Giersbergen, who was the undisputed starter. Boobs, as he went on to be known, played in only one regular-season game.

In his second season in the minor leagues, Booberry began to shine above others. He demonstrated exceptional skill and dedication, setting himself apart and earning the prestigious Mitch Higgins Trophy. This accolade was a testament to his abilities and invaluable contributions to his team's success. Although all this is true, this is also a decision that did help spill some ink since there were other worthy contenders.

The minor leagues served as a crucial proving ground, allowing him to refine their technique, build confidence, and develop a reputation as a rising star in the hockey world. The MVP award in his second season was a sign of things to come, foreshadowing the illustrious career that would follow in the VHL. This early achievement in the minor leagues was a stepping stone to the Hall of Fame journey that would define his legacy in hockey.

Regular Season Stats

78 (HOU), 1 Game Played, 1 Win, 0 Losses, 0 Overtime Losses, 0.9 Save Percentage, 3 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

79 (HOU/SDM), 70 Games Played, 33 Wins, 32 Losses, 5 Overtime Losses, 0.901 Save Percentage, 2.89 Goals Against Average, and 3 Shutouts.

Playoff Stats

79 (SDM), 5 Games Played, 1 Win, 4 Losses, 0 Overtime Losses, 0.879 Save Percentage, 5.37 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

--

Team Success in the VHLE

Season 80 marked the introduction of the European League to the VHL. The VHLE was created to help bridge the gap between the VHLM and VHL, and the youngest players in this generation decided it was time to take the opportunity to discover new cultures and enjoy some extra time to prepare for the VHL. Boobs was one of them.

Booberry was the first overall pick in the big league's draft, which impacted his value in the VHLE draft, causing him to slide to the fourth round. Eventually, he was picked up by the Vasteras Iron Eagles with the 23rd selection. The team hoped he would help lead them to victory, which he did alongside Saku Kotkakoivu, the team's first-rounder.

Their campaign was far from perfect, and the Swedish team managed to sneak past the Cologne Express and get to the playoffs with the 4th seed, with just one more point than the German side. Yet, that's all that matters... giving yourself a chance, and the Vasteras Iron Eagles made the most of their opportunity.

In the playoffs, they found the 1st-seed Stockholm Vikings in the first round and showed a last seed can get out of that matchup victorious. They dramatically did that with a win in game 7. After advancing through the playoffs, they finally made it to the highly anticipated Renaissance Cup Finals. Their opponents for the final series were the Rome Gladiators, who had been dominant throughout the season, earning the 2nd seed in the playoffs. The Gladiators had also swept their previous opponents, the Bratislava Watchmen. The stage was set for an epic showdown between two talented teams vying for the championship.

After six games of intense competition, the Iron Eagles found themselves in a familiar position - tied and on the road. Despite the challenging circumstances, the team demonstrated remarkable composure and resilience. Drawing on their experience from past series, they flawlessly executed their game plan and became the VHLE champions.

Boobs didn't know it yet, but this would be the only team accolade he would win in his illustrious career.

Regular Season Stats

80 (VAS), 55 Games Played, 27 Wins, 21 Losses, 4 Overtime Losses, 0.924 Save Percentage, 3.23 Goals Against Average, and 1 Shutout.

Playoff Stats

80 (VAS), 14 Games Played, 8 Wins, 5 Losses, 1 Overtime Loss, 0.917 Save Percentage, 3.21 Goals Against Average, and 2 Shutouts.

--

Greatness in the VHL

Booberry's start to his VHL career was much anticipated by the Helsinki Titans team, who had selected him as the first overall pick. They hoped the young player would change their fortunes and help them end their bad luck. Booberry did not disappoint, as he quickly established himself as a valuable asset to the team, starting early in his rookie season. Despite his individual achievements and impressive statistics, the Titans remained a struggling team, and they continued to be a bottom-feeder in the VHL for the first two seasons of his career. Nonetheless, Booberry's dedication and hard work did not go unnoticed, and he became a leader within the Finnish team.

As we enter season 83, it marks a crucial point in Booberry's career. The Titans were looking to secure a playoff spot and had a talented roster to do it. One that included Nico Pearce, Florida Man, Nezuko, Jonathan Ori, Erlantz Jokinen, and Alessandro Nano, and with the prospect of Hammar Voss joining the team, the Titans were optimistic about winning and building for the future. However, the team fell short and missed the playoffs, losing the 4th seed in the European conference by just one point in a heartbreaking fashion. This was an unfitting end for Booberry, who had just played arguably the best season of his career and won four individual awards.

It was time for season 84, and the Titans were gearing up for another shot at the title. On offense, they had to say goodbye to Ori, but they welcomed Reyllyn Reinhart. On defense, they lost Jokinen but brought in two young defensemen, Voss and Nesbitt. Through all these changes, one thing remained constant, which was Xavier Booberry in goal. The Titans were one of the top teams in the league that season and managed to secure the 2nd-seed in the European conference. Unfortunately, they lost their first playoff series against the Warsaw Predators (who went on to win the S84 VHL Championship). Booberry's first playoff hockey experience was disappointing, not just due to the Titans' performance but his own.

You've probably watched enough Mayday episodes to know a disaster happens with a sequence of things going wrong, voluntary or not. That was the lead-up to Helsinki's season 85, and boy... did that team blow up. Of the stars that played with the uniform in seasons 83 and 84, only two finished season 85 with the Titans... and Xavier Booberry, the Titans legend, wasn't one of them. After 45 games of sub-.500 hockey on a team that ultimately finished with the second-worst record in the league, Boobs found a new home in Davos, Switzerland. Finishing the season with a .700 record with the new team, Booberry had one of the best seasons of his career and won another Aidan Shaw Trophy. Despite having another chance at playoff hockey, Booberry still couldn't manage a winning record, and HC Davos lost in the conference semi-finals.

We're now in season 86, and Booberry is settled in Davos, but little did he know... His replacement was going to be drafted that season. With the 12th selection in the S86 VHL Draft, HC Davos Dynamo selected Lachlan Summers, and Boobs' clock in Davos started - and deep down, he knew. Davos went to the playoffs with the 5th seed of the European conference and swept the London United in the wildcard round, upset the 1st-seeded Moscow Menace in the conference semi-finals, but faltered to Prague in 7 games in the conference finals. After facing a setback, the Davos team used it as motivation to return stronger in season 87. As a result, they clinched the 1st seed in the European conference. Booberry was the confirmed starter for the season, with Summers as his replacement. But if things went naturally for the Australian prospect, this would be Boobs' last season in Switzerland. After a sweep in the conference semi-finals and a victory in game 7 of the conference finals, HC Davos was in the Continental Cup Finals for the first time in a long time... and so was Xavier Booberry. They were facing an offensive juggernaut, the Calgary Wranglers, with Daniel Janser, Landon Wolanin, and Leandro Goncalves, who were poised to pressure Davos' defense and goaltenders. They did and, with the help of sound defensemen and goaltending, were the winners of that season's Continental Cup. It was the end of Xavier's Swiss dream, and at this moment, he didn't know what would come next.

It would be his last season. Season 88. The team to do it with? The Seattle Bears. General Manager Blake Campbell, in his quest to once again compete for the Continental, recognized an opportunity to add an experienced and valuable asset to his team. With a keen eye for talent, he secured the services of Booberry, who quickly became a cornerstone of the team's success. Booberry's skills and expertise proved instrumental in helping the team achieve their goals, and Campbell's strategic acquisition proved to be a wise decision. Boobs had an outstanding final season, delivering impressive performances that seemed almost unreal, much like the numbers he posted. His last year was a fitting tribute to his illustrious career as he strove for greatness and cemented his legacy. He managed to win the MVP award in his final season while playing for the Seattle Bears, who were the champions of the North American conference. 

The Bears made it to the Continental Cup Finals, where they faced the London United team. Despite being the 4th seed in the European conference, London found themselves in game 7 of the Finals. The game was strange, with both teams playing cautiously, making it a battle of the goalies' efficiency. It was also a battle of generations, with veteran Booberry and young Jesse Teno, who was in his second full season as the starter for London. In the end, Seattle had 24 shots on goal while London had 37. Booberry made more saves than Teno, but Teno had a perfect 1.000 save percentage, while Booberry didn't.

Xavier Booberry had an illustrious career, marked by numerous achievements and accolades. However, his last two seasons were extraordinary as he had the opportunity to play in the Finals back-to-back. Despite his best efforts and exceptional performance, his team could not clinch the cup, leaving him with a sense of disappointment and unfulfillment.

Regular Season Stats

81 (HSK), 65 Games Played, 29 Wins, 30 Losses, 4 Overtime Losses, 0.909 Save Percentage, 3.63 Goals Against Average, and 3 Shutouts.

82 (HSK), 66 Games Played, 27 Wins, 27 Losses, 8 Overtime Losses, 0.92 Save Percentage, 3.4 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

83 (HSK), 67 Games Played, 40 Wins, 18 Losses, 5 Overtime Losses, 0.929 Save Percentage, 1.92 Goals Against Average, and 10 Shutouts.

84 (HSK), 65 Games Played, 41 Wins, 21 Losses, 2 Overtime Losses, 0.931 Save Percentage, 2.23 Goals Against Average, and 7 Shutouts.

85 (HSK/DAV), 65 Games Played, 35 Wins, 25 Losses, 4 Overtime Losses, 0.936 Save Percentage, 2.54 Goals Against Average, and 4 Shutouts.

86 (DAV), 64 Games Played, 35 Wins, 22 Losses, 7 Overtime Losses, 0.926 Save Percentage, 2.52 Goals Against Average, and 2 Shutouts.

87 (DAV), 64 Games Played, 33 Wins, 20 Losses, 11 Overtime Losses, 0.93 Save Percentage, 2.54 Goals Against Average, and 2 Shutouts.

88 (SEA), 64 Games Played, 42 Wins, 14 Losses, 8 Overtime Losses, 0.931 Save Percentage, 2.39 Goals Against Average, and 6 Shutouts.

Playoff Stats

84 (HSK), 7 Games Played, 3 Wins, 3 Losses, 1 Overtime Loss, 0.918 Save Percentage, 3.14 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

85 (DAV), 10 Games Played, 4 Wins, 4 Losses, 2 Overtime Losses, 0.922 Save Percentage, 2.68 Goals Against Average, and 1 Shutout.

86 (DAV), 16 Games Played, 10 Wins, 4 Losses, 2 Overtime Losses, 0.936 Save Percentage, 2.51 Goals Against Average, and 1 Shutout.

87 (DAV), 16 Games Played, 9 Wins, 6 Losses, 1 Overtime Loss, 0.906 Save Percentage, 3.08 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

88 (SEA), 19 Games Played, 11 Wins, 6 Losses, 2 Overtime Losses, 0.939 Save Percentage, 2.1 Goals Against Average, and 0 Shutouts.

--

Legacy

The storied career of Xavier Booberry, who earned six individual awards in the VHL, is now etched in the annals of hockey history. Despite the elusive Continental Cup, his enduring impact on the sport, unwavering dedication, and ability to inspire aspiring athletes make him an iconic figure. He stood as a shining example of resilience and skill, captivating fans with incredible saves and leaving an indelible mark on goaltending. Their legacy, defined by unmatched talent and dedication, reminds us that greatness in sports goes beyond championships, and his name remains a symbol of inspiration and excellence in hockey.

Congratulations, CiA!

Regular Season Career Record

520 Games Played, 282 Wins, 177 Losses, 49 Overtime Losses, 0.926 Save Percentage, 2.64 Goals Against Average, 34 Shutouts.

Playoff Career Record

68 Games Played, 37 Wins, 23 Losses, 8 Overtime Losses, 0.926 Save Percentage, 2.61 Goals Against Average, 2 Shutouts.

Edited by leandrofg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, BOOM said:

Click bait. You knew I'd open it! 

On 10/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, Daniel Janser said:

we all did, BOOM, we all did... I mean who does not click on HOF-Boobs? ;)

On 10/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, BOOM said:

True. I have terabytes of them that are HOF worthy. 

On 10/20/2023 at 3:18 AM, der meister said:

I misclicked, I swear!

Ahahah! How did I miss these comments?

I'm glad it worked 😂

21 hours ago, leandrofg said:

Ahahah! How did I miss these comments?

I'm glad it worked 😂

I'm glad you commented so I could also see/catch up on the comments I missed here 🤣 

You are a Master of Article titles haha 

6 minutes ago, Subject056 said:

I'm glad you commented so I could also see/catch up on the comments I missed here 🤣 

Not trying to poke in a wound, but maybe the title of the article combined with the cool graphic as well as Leandro's captivating writing style would make this a good eye catcher on the social media?

4 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Not trying to poke in a wound, but maybe the title of the article combined with the cool graphic as well as Leandro's captivating writing style would make this a good eye catcher on the social media?

Not poking a hole at all! I appreciate the suggestion and can definitely do that! Thanks for asking. I haven't posted this article before so I'll definitely add it as a story then save it to our Media Spot Highlights. Thanks Janser! Should be up shortly 🍻

3 hours ago, Subject056 said:

I appreciate that! I came here only to copy the header for DJ’s article and saw the comments. 😅

I guess the bar is high for the new HoF article, but I haven’t come up with a title as good as this. 🫣