S90 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

Gaikoku-hito

zo1PTSY.png

S90 Vancouver Wolves Season Awards

It is that time of year again to hand out some hardware and recognize the players that made a difference in the season that just passed for Vancouver Wolves. Once again, the Wolves started slowly before finding Chemistry heading into the play-offs but in the end falling in a game seven to Toronto Legion in the North American Conference semi-finals. Losing a game seven always hurt but even more so when the team expects to have a chance at lifting the Continental Cup.

No matter what it was a great season again in Vancouver and a really great bunch of character players.

Congratulations on a great season!!

Best defenseman:

Every year we start with the best defenseman award and this season we seen two new faces join the backend on the Wolves roster with Liv Slater; coming over in a trade from Chicago Phoenix and Sigma Freud, also coming over via a trade with Moscow Menace. While the defensive core also seen the return of All-Star defensemen Brian Payne and Pierre Emile Bouchard; who both have won this award. This season the award for Best Defenseman goes to …………

Spoiler

Brian Payne @Scurvy

24G – 58A – 82Pts     +24       245 hits          133 SB

In the end since coming over from Warsaw Predators Payne has proved grit and stronger overall defense for the Vancouver Wolves. In the end his 9 SB and 93 hits more than Pierre Emile Bouchard is what determined this award in a great display of offense, defense and grit proved by Payne.

Unsung Hero:

I say this every year but this can be one of the hardest awards to give out every season as this player doesn`t always lead the team in stats but does the small things to really help the team win. This year for me this award has been pretty clear for the first time in a few seasons. This season the award for Unsung Hero goes to …………

Spoiler

Oreo McFleury  @JB123

27G – 41A – 68Pts      +33      11GW

When Vancouver Wolves need an important goal, this season the boss would look no further than Wann Kerr and Oreo McFleury. While he didn`t lead the team is scoring his goals were to say the least timely with 40% of his twenty-seven goals being game winners. His eleven game winner are also five more than anyone else on the team. He was Vancouver unsung hero!!

Most Energetic:

This one is getting tougher and tougher to hand out every season; that really isn`t a bad thing as it means we have an active locker room. Last two season it went to one player so the question remains can he take it home for a third time? This season the Most Energetic award goes to ………

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

I see no good reason to take this award from Wann Kerr, who continue to drive conversation in the locker room from early morning fishing trips, Minnesota Wild discussion and general active every day even though he lives in a different time zone than majority on the team.

Most Valuable player:

When I look at the roster a ton of players could actually be consider for the award with a strong season from Brain Payne, Pierre Emile Bouchard and over-shaddowed strong season from Dogwood Maple and Oreo McFleury means the team is in good shape moving forward but in the end only one can be our Most Valuable Player. This season the Most Valuable Player is ……..

Spoiler

Wann Kerr  @VattghernCZ

41G – 48A – 89Pts          +30          242 hits

Determination to win at all cost is the reason he stood above everyone else this season and was the Wolves MVP. Kerr placed top three in majority of the categories for the team more than any other player. 1st goals, 3rd assist, 1st points, 3rd plus/minus, 2nd PIM, 3rd hits, 2nd SHT% and 2nd game winners. Which is why he has been chosen as the Wolves MVP.

Rookie of the Year:

Spoiler

Sigma Freud  @CODENAMEJIMMY

I didn`t even realize that this player was a rookie until I started checking for these awards and that speaks volume how well he transitioned from the VHLE to the VHL this season.

Little Wolf Award (Most Hits):

Spoiler

Brian Payne    @Scurvy           245 hits

Close battle for this award as Payne only won by a single hit over Maple and three over Kerr.

Sniper Award (Shooting percentage):

Spoiler

Brian Payne   @Scurvy      11.43%

Really good SHT% also seen a increase in goals as he set new career highs with 24G.

QB Award (PP Assists):

Spoiler

Brian Payne @Scurvy              14A

This was a close award this year with last year’s winner Maple only finishing a single assist behind but more noticeable is how much weaker the powerplay was this season as Maple had 21A last season in comparison.

Tooth Fairy (PIM Award):

Spoiler

Brian Payne  @Scurvy             178 PIM

Down a single fight from last season’s 183 PIM so that might disappoint Payne a bit. This award might need to be renamed the Payne Award since he has won this every season since coming over from Warsaw.

Always responsible (Plus/Minus):

Spoiler

Sigma Freud  @CODENAMEJIMMY               +34

Strong season by the rookie defender as he proves by taking this award away from last years winner Payne. It was actually real close between Freud and McFleury for this award with +1 difference between the two.

Oops Sorry Eh!! (Least hits):

Spoiler

Oreo McFleury  @JB123          27 hits

Throw sixteen less hits than anyone else on the team this season but eight more than last year’s winner.

It wasn`t me (Least PM):

Spoiler

Oreo McFleury  @JB123           8 PIM

Strong defensively means you aren`t out of position much so don`t need to hit or take unnecessary PIM as McFleury had a +33 this season.

Shoot the lights out (Most shots):

Spoiler

Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple                    453 Shots

With last year’s winner Nico Pearce; retired and runner Henry Eagles; trade Malmo. No longer on the team means it was always going to fall to the third player right? Well in this case it did!

Work Horse Award (AMG):

Spoiler

Dogwood Maple @dogwoodmaple                    2151 (29.88)

First time I think Pierre Emile Bouchard hasn`t won this award; so give it back!! LOL!! Maple played 15mins more than any other player and actually finished ahead of Liv Slater, who was runner up with defensive partner Payne a close third.

Common Coach (Least played):

Spoiler

Hockley Mann @Sen             1891 (26.27)

Fairly even this year in a way of playing time for everyone as the difference between Mann and McFleury was only 63mins this season; less than a minute per game.

Bruised and Battered Award (SB Award):

Spoiler

Brian Payne @Scurvy                133 SB

As the team is getting better defensively less and less shots are being blocked by the defenders as Payne steals this award from Bouchard; as Bouchard blocked 60 less shots than last season. Payne won this award by blocking seven more shots.

Three Star Award: (I will be back as I forgot the data collection for this again)  

Spoiler

Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ     540pts (11 - 1st stars, 6 - 2nd Stars & 9 - 3rd Stars)

I love it when the Three Stars Award confirms my MVP award as Wann Kerr really ran away with the award this year with twenty-six total stars compared to second place Maple fourteen and Fuhr fourteen stars selection. Also happy to report that everyone had at least one star selection this season so how it was team effort.

1ST Star

2nd Star

3rd star

Total

Wann Kerr

Dogwood Maple

Brandt Fuhr

Brian Payne

Girts Galvins

FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist

Pierre Emile Bouchard

Hockley Mann

Oreo McFleury

B-VAN G2

Liv Slater

Sigma Freud

Final Thoughts:

Slow starts are becoming the norm for the Wolves so next season can we please start hot and stay hot for a whole season? Like a few seasons ago now!! Actually, I don`t really care as long as we make the Playoff and we get back to another Continental Cup finals; and win of course!!

Sadly, every year we have to say Good bye to some of the great players from the past year as they are sent into the shadow realm of retirement and this year is bitter sweet as we say Good bye to three players that really helped the team last year in Girts Galvins, Brian Payne and Hockley Mann. Hopefully they all recreate and we can draft their new players in the future or trade for you as it was pleasure having you all part of the team.

We also enter the last season of Brandt Fuhr career and I would like to thank the long-term Wolves goalie for all he has done for the team since being drafted 2nd overall in S83. He will retire as the franchise leader in Game Played, Wins, Losses, OTL, Shutouts and Saves; hopefully still building on these numbers through the season. Thank you for your dedication to the Wolves Organization and let’s go win another Cup!!

@Frank@Sen@JB123@Girts@dogwoodmaple@STZ@VattghernCZ@Gaikoku-hito@Scurvy@Subject056@CODENAMEJIMMY@Tate@cl4rk

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Gonna miss you fools!!   Thanks for making it so much fun in Vancouver.  Great post too, although best defender is PEB for sure.   

That being said Brian Payne's cousin, Logan Ninefingers is coming!!!