Around the League- Draft Edition

Scurvy

The dreaded off-season is upon us but slightly improved due to the holiday season.  My family is gearing up for Christmas and my 5-year-old daughter is delighted as we inch closer to the Christmas day (and hopefully some snow).  So, in the VHL world there is not a lot going on but I will do my best in this week’s Around the League in 500 words.

image.png.090c347e3b8f41ae76764f56bc62b407.png

VHL DRAFT 

The upcoming VHL draft has a pretty small draft class with just 10 current players over the 200 TPE mark , and another couple players close. There are however some very good draft picks that teams in the VHLE and VHL will benefit from.  Right now, pending any trades New York, Warsaw, and Moscow have the top 3 picks so depending on team needs the top five picks or so could be anyone.  Let’s take a look: 

image.png.187d30cf3cdf9807f13f4afc33682c8b.png  

George Richmond: 606 220lbs Center. @badcolethetitan

VHLM Stats: 72 games 46g 55a 101pts 129hits

Richmond is a hulking centerman that put up some big numbers for Ottawa last season and absolutely killed it in the playoffs scoring 18 points in 10 games.  He’s currently number one in TPE earned and has been no further down than second in TPE the whole season.  A proven earner and established member who can benefit a team up the middle and play a 200-foot game.  A can’t lose pick. 

Logan Ninefingers: 605 235 Right Wing

VHLM Stats: 72 games 64g 88a 152pts + 88 277 hits

The Philadelphia Reaper winger came out firing this season offensively notching over two points a game.  Him and line mate Caring Bear were an absolute force up front and battled their way to a cup final which the Reapers lost in 5 games.  Ninefingers plays a heavy game with 277 hits and does not hurt the club with his defensive play.  This high scoring, high earning forward should contribute well to any of the top five teams in the draft should they pick him.

Vanellope von Schweetz: 505 150 Defense @Arce

VHLM Stats: 72 games 15g 64a 79pts +52 94SB

Our first defenseman on the board and currently sitting tied at #3 in TPE.  VVS had a dominant season in Houston who probably boasted the best defensive club. VVS seems to have it all.  Good defensive play, disciplined, power play quarterback, and some offensive talent. A good defenseman is always in need in the VHL so I expect him to go early. 

Riley Martin: 602 210 Right wing @Smarch

VHLM stats: 72 games 26g 22a 48pts 175 hits 147SB

This is an interesting pick as he was drafted at the #3 spot by Halifax in the VHLM draft that didn’t have a very deep bench to assist him. A highly talented winger who also plays a full sheet of ice game and proven earner in TPE as well.  He is a great pick who will show amazing numbers and I expect he goes in top 5. 

Vlad Von Carstein: 608 240 Defense @Dom

VHLM stats: 72 games 20g 61a 81pts 154 hits 130SB

Another stud defender rounds out the top 5 TPE earners for the upcoming draft.  This monster of a dman was the #1 overall pick in the VHLM draft and dominated all season.  81 points and 8 PP goals he was the total package for Ottawa that was easy to see why they picked him first overall.  I expect VVC could go easy at #1 in VHL draft as great defenders are always in demand and he’s a guarantee to be solid for years to come. 

So just to note these are just the top five in TPE earnings and by no way a guess as to which order they will go in the draft.  The draft is sometimes a guessing game as to team needs.  Some other honorable mention players who could make their way into the top 5 are Adi Dassler @BOOM, Giorgiy Constanzov @Mongoose87, Guntis Gavilrovs @Girts, and of course Wayne Gretzky @MubbleFubbles.  

I hope everyone has a safe holiday season and I wish y’all the best.

Review

I loved how you made this so visually appealing and information-dense. All the images in this media spot and the bolded letters made me want to keep reading. All these players seem great that you listed and you told a lot of stats and facts about them. I liked how you showed the stats and then gave a brief draft preview instead of just giving the stats straight up. You showed all the player's strengths which was interesting. Great job!