Kirby Rambles: Am I. . . Old Now?

kirbithan

Ice Hockey Love GIF by NHL

Not old in the literal sense, since I’m only 21, but seeing as how our latest recruitment drive was a success, it warms my first gen heart to see so many new promising members who will hopefully stick around for the long term! The VHL has changed my life in so many different ways and I thought now was a good time as ever to start reflecting on my journey in the league and how I’ve grown.

I have been a member of the illustrious Victory Hockey League for close to a year and a half now, which is insane to think about. Time really does fly when you’re having fun. Like many users, I discovered the VHL in July 2022 through a YouTube ad, particularly on Alyssa Hope’s channel. When it was advertised as a simulation league where you could make your own player and watch them progress from start to finish? I was instantly sold.

Well. . . kinda.

I ended up stalking the forums after a while later that day, lingering as a mysterious ‘Guest’ user and browsed through the posts and threads I saw. Wow, I thought, people are making awesome graphic designs and writing some awesome works about their players on a consistent weekly basis! Looks a little intimidating, if you ask anyone. 

There could have been a timeline where I chose NOT to join the VHL and honestly, I can’t even imagine that now that I’m looking back. As someone who has social anxiety in regards to the internet, it was difficult for me to imagine myself fitting in with a bunch of strangers and joining multiple Discord servers for it (as of right now, I’m in 14 different VHL-related servers). 

But I did it anyway, and thus, Lachlan Summers was born. He was already a pre existing character of mine and despite the dreaded goaltender crisis of the mid-S80s, I would say it worked out great. I came out of my shell and tried to be as active as possible on both the forum and multiple servers and to my elation, everyone was extremely kind and welcoming! 

My player has also secured multiple individual awards, a Continental Cup, and two Victory Cups with Davos! I was also given the honor of becoming AGM for Davos and have learned a lot under Alex. 

Speaking of GMs, the ones I have played under have been absolutely fantastic and I can’t express my gratitude for them enough. With Jacob @jacobcarson877 of the Marlins in the M, Mubbles @MubbleFubbles of the Vikings in the E, and Alex @Alex of the Dynamo in the VHL. All three have impacted me positively and I wanted to express my appreciation! Without their kindness, encouragement, and support, I don’t think I would be nearly as engaged as I am now. 

This gratitude also applies to the many friends and acquaintances I’ve made that keep giving me reasons to explore new techniques with my graphics from admiring their work and seeing what I could improve on for my own, like those of Frank @Frank, Jason @Jason kranz, Sadie @sadie, Subject @Subject056, Triller @Triller and all the other wonderful and talented members we have in the league (we have too many to name!). This extends to those that I have built friendly player rivalries with: my fellow goalie pals Aimkin @aimkin and Animal @animal74! Always fun comparing how our tendies do at the end of each season and celebrate each other’s milestones. 

Hard to believe my first player is only three seasons away from retirement and I will officially not be considered a first gen anymore. Hopefully Lachlan can ride off into the sunset with at least another Cup and some other accolades, but overall I'm extremely happy with how his career has panned out and my experience in the VHL thus far. Thank you all for reading this edition of Kirby Rambles and I will see you all in the next one!

Spoiler

Word count: 657

I have very much enjoyed your graphics so far as well as the rivalry that Summers and Teno have created for London and Davos!  I am also coming close to the end of my players career and it is going to be weird when or if I decide to re-create and no longer be an impressive first-gen and become a jaded old member lol

Enjoy the rest of your career and congrats on overcoming a bit of that anxiety to become a staple of the community!  Excited for your next player!

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, kirbithan said:

I have been a member of the illustrious Victory Hockey League for close to a year and a half now, which is insane to think about.

4 hours ago, kirbithan said:

Hard to believe my first player is only three seasons away from retirement and I will officially not be considered a first gen anymore.

Oh god I really am ancient if this is old

Your already a legend as a first gen! The VHL is lucky to have you in it's ranks. I didn't know much about your journey into the VHL and your time before I joined. It is awesome to hear about your experience! 

Seeing your graphics when I joined really inspired me to try and grow my skills. Your work is always really enjoyable to see, from your writing to your graphics. I'm glad we got the chance to meet through this league. Cheers to retirement soon, looking forward to seeing what is next for you!

I know I'm not at this point but I still feel new sometimes. It's all relative and I certainly remember hearing from people who joined 20 seasons or so before me and wondering what was up with that.

As a new 1st gen reading this has made me even more excited that I found this site in a similar way with the most recent YouTube ad on a Johnny Hawkey video, I hope my player can have a solid impact at every level.