Should the welfare-claiming new users be banned from the raffle?

jRuutu

In the thread: "2023 Donation Drive Raffle Draw", the league leadership used the term "new people" when referring to the new users who should be made aware of the opportunity to participate in the raffle. After I read the comment, I could not help but think is "people" too strong of a word for someone who claims welfare? I also started to think about whether the welfare-claiming new users should be banned from participating in the raffle. Despite a number of the newer users in VHL being active and creating content, you can still see a large portion of users claiming welfare.

If one of the newer welfare-claiming users ends up winning a nice prize, I think it sends a bad message. In my mind welfare claiming new user winning is similar to someone breaking into an old grandma's car, stealing their purse left on the front seat, and then cashing in on a lottery ticket that happened to be a winning ticket. Sure, technically speaking the thief won in the lottery, but do they deserve it?

I would go as far as saying the raffle should be only for those who donated hard cash. I can only speak for myself here, but if I donate to a charity, knowing I am making a difference would make me feel good, but an equally nice feeling comes from others knowing I donated to charity. I think in the case of VHL, winning a prize from the raffle is one way to let everybody in VHL know: "I donated money to charity".

I think welfare-claiming newer users should not be allowed to participate, same is true with those users who did not donate - me included.

• Commissioner
38 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Despite a number of the newer users in VHL being active and creating content, you can still see a large portion of users claiming welfare.

I’m sorry but where is it written that only content that generates TPE counts as valid content? I don’t often agree with your hot takes but this may be one of the worst ones. Like I get that you don’t agree with how much welfare earns vs. PT’s; that’s a fine enough argument, but the fight to get people interested in producing genuine content without payment is hard enough without people throwing out the mindset that VHL content is worthless if you aren’t doing PT’s.

Like do you understand how great it is to see new guys like @Chillybro in the sim streams for me every night? I literally have never looked at whether he’s done a PT or not, ai don’t care. He’s active, he’s engaged, and he’s enjoying himself. That’s what matters!

38 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

I would go as far as saying the raffle should be only for those who donated hard cash

Again HARD disagree. The raffles are done as a way to give back to the members and that means ALL the members, not just those that are well off enough to give some extra money. Now those who donated DO get rewarded with extra entries but I have absolutely no interest in making it exclusive to them. Any active members deserve a chance to win something; you shouldn’t have to pay for that chance even if it’s for charity.

19 hours ago, Beketov said:

Like do you understand how great it is to see new guys like @Chillybro in the sim streams for me every night? I literally have never looked at whether he’s done a PT or not, ai don’t care. He’s active, he’s engaged, and he’s enjoying himself. That’s what matters!

I try as often to pop in, it's really cool seeing how the whole league goes on and processes. Ty for that bro 🙏

21 hours ago, jRuutu said:

I would go as far as saying the raffle should be only for those who donated hard cash. I can only speak for myself here, but if I donate to a charity, knowing I am making a difference would make me feel good, but an equally nice feeling comes from others knowing I donated to charity. I think in the case of VHL, winning a prize from the raffle is one way to let everybody in VHL know: "I donated money to charity".

While I understand where you are coming from, I would strongly recommend you shift your perspective on this. The ethos of our donations drives isn't to make members feel good about themselves, otherwise that would undermine the actual real world good that the donations provide. No one should perceive an individual as better/worse because they did or didn't donate. Everyone's circumstances are different and we must recognize that not everyone in this league is in the fortunate position to be able to make a donation, nor should we incentivize members stretching their budget when they really can't afford to.

If you'd like to feel good about yourself, or even good about being a part of a community (because you by extension are a contributing member of this community) that's helped raise so much for charity, go to some of the charity websites we're supporting and watch their donation impact videos. It's truly amazing some of the work being done to help those in need.

I won't tell anyone that they shouldn't donate just to feel good about themselves, that's entirely the individual's prerogative. From the leadership team however, aka the @Commissioner group, it's important they think about the community first and the individual second. They've created something very good with the donation drive and the raffle is one way to reward the community, including those who aren't able to donate. Measuring contribution to this community purely in terms of TPE and/or point tasks created ignores the many other ways in which members add value to the league. 

• Commissioner
10 minutes ago, Knight said:

They've created something very good with the donation drive and the raffle is one way to reward the community, including those who aren't able to donate

FWIW as well the raffle is ultimately something separate from the charity drive. Aside from people who donated getting a bonus entry the two aren’t connected. Holiday themed giveaways and stuff existed lo no before the charity drive did. It’s just easier to lump all the holiday stuff together to we in one announcement.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

FWIW as well the raffle is ultimately something separate from the charity drive. Aside from people who donated getting a bonus entry the two aren’t connected. Holiday themed giveaways and stuff existed lo no before the charity drive did. It’s just easier to lump all the holiday stuff together to we in one announcement.

Even more reason not to exclude members from it then!