Around the League

Scurvy

The season has finally started and the VHL is back to normal. It’s a good time for many of us who are eager to get our players back into the mix of scoring/passing/hitting/and fighting on the score sheets. 

Regardless if your player is in the VHLM, VHLE, or finally in the VHL the start of a new season brings about a certain feeling of excitement. As fun as the off-season tournaments can be, there is no substitute for opening week of the regular season. The ONLY thing that made this season’s start less fun is not the fact my player is struggling, but my daughter has caught strep throat (AGAIN), so been taking care of her and trying not to catch it.  

WARSAW

Looking around the league I noticed a few things.  First, in the European division the Warsaw Predators are off to a hot start.  4-1 with 3 straight wins.  What makes it more amazing is they have only allowed 10 goals in those five games. Amazing team defense so far and you have to give tremendous credit to All-star goalie Lachlan Summers @kirbithan stopping just about everything thrown at him thus far. It's good to see Warsaw having some early success after a few tough seasons.  

MOSCOW

Since my time in the VHL it seems to me that Moscow almost always is seen at the top of the standings in the EU.  They had a couple off season recently but have drafted and traded for a very talented club.  It is no surprise that they are again at the top even though they have a young club.  

5-1 so far and a league high 24 goals for and only allowed 13.  The recent addition of Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeard has proven wise as he is hitting, scoring, and fighting his way to a team lead in points and hits.  Added with playmaking rookie George Richmond @badcolethetitan and speedy offensive defenseman, Leif Reingaard @Zetterberg and moster dman, Obuz SCdB @Grape the Menace are looking tough early.  But I think what truly has separated them early is their goaltending.  Olober Syko @Spartan  has been dominant and his success really pisses me off now that I passed on him for my VHLFL team.  .925 Save % , 2.11 GAA and already has a shutout.  

VHL FIGHT LEADER

Fighting frequency in the VHL is one of the things I can’t wrap my head around. Some seasons you get a lot and some you don’t.  This season Toronto center, Jimi Jaks @ke1vi has been TEARING IT UP with fights.  In 6 games he already has 4 fights with 1 win. Historically not a heavily penalized player, JJ doesn’t have any points in grit nor fighting but has come out hot, not taking any shit from opposing teams.  Already at 32 PIMS I am excited to see if he can keep this pace up before he must have hi hands replaced.    

hanson_brothers.jpg.thumb.webp.484c9f9be5c8decde0f98cdd94b838f7.webp

Next up is Jim Benning Jr (LA) @Jim BenningJim and Oreo McFleury (SEA) @JB123 with 2 fights.  

Until next week

2 hours ago, Scurvy said:

my daughter has caught strep throat

Not a fun event!! Hope she gets better and you don`t get it!!

We had a stomach flu rip through our house the past two weeks and it has been shitty!! 😂