Claimed:Post Draft Interview- Cap'n Crunch [Final: 6/6]

leafssteen

i_zps715191fe.png

Cap'n Crunch

Welcome to the show, today we have recently drafted Cap’n Crunch with us.

Reporter:  Welcome, Cap’n first off I would like to ask you, what are the challenges you faced growing up in Riga, Latvia?

Cap’n: Well as you all know, hockey is not a huge sport in Latvia. I found there was less passion, less players and less competition. Also there were fewer opportunities to be seen by professional scouts.

Reporter:  At what age did you realize you realize you had pure talent?

Cap’n: Well growing up, I always knew I had talent when it came to hockey. However I found in high school I really stood out as a top player. I feel I didn't realize I had the talent to make a career out of hockey in till I got the call asking me to play for Team Latvia at the World Juniors.

Reporter:  Do you feel the World Juniors was the turning point in your career?   

Cap’n: The World Juniors was the first time; scouts from North America got a chance to see me.  I feel this was a big turning point, as I put on quite the show for them. The World was watching so I knew I had to make an impact. Although our team fell short, I played my heart out and showed the North American scouts what Cap’n Crunch is all about.

Reporter: Prior to the draft, how were you feeling?

Cap’n:  I was just thrilled that I would soon be getting drafted and one step closer to the VHL.

draft-bennet-topper_zps18be9262.jpg

VHLM Draft

Reporter:  You were drafted in the 2nd round, 19th overall by the Turku Outlaws. Then not long later traded to Minot Gladiators, How do you feel about this transaction?

Cap’n:  It all happened so quickly, but I am happy to be a part of such a talented hockey club. There are a lot of guys on the team that could teach me a thing or two. Also it’s great to have Paul Ready as my teammate; we used to play together back in Junior.

Reporter:  Do you have any personal goals for your first season as a part of the Minot Gladiators?

Cap’n: I just want to get out there and show everyone what I got. In terms of points I would like to get 40-50 this season.

lewis_zps7ef8da6c.jpg

Cap'n Crunch practicing with his new team

Reporter: Tell us a bit about your style of play.

Cap’n:  I am a two way defenceman, I can go create a scoring chance or get back to make the big defensive play. Also I am not afraid to get a little physical, I am a hard hitter and if needed, I will drop the gloves to stick up for myself or a teammate.

Reporter: Thanks Cap’n, Good luck this season.

Cap’n: Thanks for having me.

Content: 3/3

Not a bad first article. Cutting it pretty close on the word count though - you've got 473 words, down to 446 if you cut out the descriptions of the photos and the Cap'n/Reporter.  You made the cut, but a little more content wouldn't be amiss.

Also, you mention that there's very little in the ways of hockey in Riga, but don't forget, we've got the professional VHL team, the Reign there! That's gotta count for something.

Grammar: 2/2 Lots of errors in comma placement. I'm going to give you a pass on this week's task because it's your first, and it's mostly dialogue, so I'll assume it was just the way they speak. That being said, I'm going to keep an eye on the next one. This is a lot of proofreading errors for such a short article. Pay special attention to the wrong punctuation errors, those are big ones.

Some corrections:

Welcome, Cap’n. First off make these separate sentences. 

Well, growing up, I...  missing a comma

hockey; however, I found  missing a comma, and I like a semicolon before however (the semicolon is always a debate, I will never dock you for it. I will, however, always mark it as an error)

the first time scouts... removed the semicolon

Then, not long later, traded  missing commas

Gladiators. How   wrong punctuation. Should have been a period. 

Also, it’s great missing a comma 

In terms of points, I would missing a comma

I am a two way defenceman, I can go.. Change punctuation. Either . or - 

Also, I am not afraid to get a little physical, I am a hard hitter and, if needed, I will drop the gloves.. missing commas

Thanks Cap’n. Good luck this season. Wrong punctuation, should be a period. 

Appearance: 1/1

TThe colour coding between the speakers was nice, formatting was solid.  The pictures seemed a little bit slapped in there, but I've been guilty of that sometimes too. 

All together, not a bad first article, but I know you can do better! Good luck with Minot