Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

Yeah, Witcher 3 is definitely going to be a blast. Can't wait for that.

Not sure how I feel about Battlefront. They've removed so much from when it was on PS2. No space battles, no droid battles, only humans. Lots of other stuff not coming with it.

Why does Sandro make games sound amazing.. I have Alien: Iso from when I bought my new GFX card.. I never started it, but hearing him makes me wanna give it a shot..

WORTH IT. I won't lie, once I got down to the last few hours I was starting to think that the game had drawn on too long, but I heard that complaint months ago.

If you like the original Alien film, you need to play this game. One of the purest survival horror games I've played in a long time, it expands on the lore of the films without shitting all over them, the artistic direction is fucking impeccable, and getting chased around by a 10 foot tall Xenomorph is simply one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced.

Turn the lights out, throw on a good pair of headphones, and see how long you can handle it. :P

• Commissioner

Turn the lights out, throw on a good pair of headphones, and see how long you can handle it. :P

I don't normally play horror games but that's how I've been playing Alien. Dark + 1 candle + Astro's. It's fucking terrifying to say the least.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III details of leaked thanks to GameStop. Every year I think I won't buy Call of Duty, and (almost) every year I keep being brought back. New additions apparently include a full zombies campaign, four-player co-op for the main campaign, a new movement system, and more. My guess is the new movement stuff falls somewhere between original COD and Advanced Warfare.

I'm trying not to get on the hype train TOO much because I do actually enjoy AW and don't want to just start getting disappointed with it but I am really excited to see what they are bringing to the table.

I honestly found zombies got a bit too convoluted for me about halfway through BO1. I liked the original setting of it but now it's just too much. Giant robots, the moon, convoluted Easter eggs, clusterfuck maps. I'll play it but I wish they would go back to basics.

I LOVE the idea of a co-op campaign though. I've been waiting for that since MW2. So long as it's not online only anyway. I imagine they'll allow up to two player split screen like they do with zombies but it will be a huge disappointment if they don't. Co-op doesn't work with random strangers.

I guess we'll see tomorrow what they've cooked up.

Edited by Beketov

I don't normally play horror games but that's how I've been playing Alien. Dark + 1 candle + Astro's. It's fucking terrifying to say the least.

I'm trying not to get on the hype train TOO much because I do actually enjoy AW and don't want to just start getting disappointed with it but I am really excited to see what they are bringing to the table.

I honestly found zombies got a bit too convoluted for me about halfway through BO1. I liked the original setting of it but now it's just too much. Giant robots, the moon, convoluted Easter eggs, clusterfuck maps. I'll play it but I wish they would go back to basics.

I LOVE the idea of a co-op campaign though. I've been waiting for that since MW2. So long as it's not online only anyway. I imagine they'll allow up to two player split screen like they do with zombies but it will be a huge disappointment if they don't. Co-op doesn't work with random strangers.

I guess we'll see tomorrow what they've cooked up.

Nah man, you're bang on. Zombies got really wacky after the first couple of DLC maps with Black Ops, and I lost interest. The GOAT Zombies is still playing the original four maps remastered on Black Ops.

The co-op campaign might be what I'm most excited about. DICE is doing split screen with Battlefront, hopefully we can get at least two-player split screen for campaign and up to four players online.

Edited by Sandro

• Commissioner

Can't decide how I feel about BO3 after the reveal trailer this afternoon...

The idea of having wall-running in CoD  and Destiny style abilities is throwing me off a bit. I've watched a few videos coming from people who got to play the MP at the studio and they've made it sound as if it's not as drastic as the reports indicate but still. I was really hyped for AW from the first video I saw of it. Although I did really enjoy it I find I'm more weary this time. It seems like the changes are a lot more drastic than AW had.

On the plus side, finally bringing a public beta back so that's a plus. Also, it seems that maybe the Microsoft exclusivity deal is FINALLY done. I'm not saying Sony should make one and we deserve anything early either but shit should be fair. The reason I think this might be the case is because not only was the PC version heavily shown off at this exclusive event (where you tubers and press got to play) but they were also playing the game itself on PS4's… I can't think of any event, in any capacity, since the deal was struck that allowed anyone to play a non-xbox version. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out but here's hoping that PS and PC won't be thrown under the rug like we have been for so many years.

P.S Also, 4k 60FPS support on PC so that's a good sign.

TL;DR version: Duuuuuurrrrr, CoD stuff

Rumours have been floating around for a month or two that Black Ops III has a marketing deal with Sony instead of Microsoft, which would explain it being playable on PS4.

• Commissioner

Rumours have been floating around for a month or two that Black Ops III has a marketing deal with Sony instead of Microsoft, which would explain it being playable on PS4.

I saw the rumours but didn't really believe them until now. Sony would have to pay an awful lot I imagine to lure Activision away from Microsoft.

I saw the rumours but didn't really believe them until now. Sony would have to pay an awful lot I imagine to lure Activision away from Microsoft.

I believe the deal that was struck for MW2 ended after Advanced Warfare, so this is less about luring them away and more about just outbidding Microsoft. There was no branding on the latest trailer however, so maybe Call of Duty is just going neutral. If Sony landed Black Ops III in addition to Battlefront for marketing in the holiday season, that'd be huge.

Edited by Sandro

Since I've known some of the people still here since I was 12 years old, I feel like I should let you in on a nice little secret...

I've played Star Wars Battlefront.

Yes, the new one.

Edited by Sandro

• Commissioner

Since I've known some of the people still here since I was 12 years old, I feel like I should let you in on a nice little secret...

I've played Star Wars Battlefront.

Yes, the new one.

First: Fuck You

Second: How was it?

Third: Worth the Investment?

I loved Battlefront II back in the day but the lack of campaign, space battles, and galactic conquest has me worried that this version is just going to be Battlefield: Star Wars which has me massively worried.

First: Fuck You

Second: How was it?

Third: Worth the Investment?

I loved Battlefront II back in the day but the lack of campaign, space battles, and galactic conquest has me worried that this version is just going to be Battlefield: Star Wars which has me massively worried.

1) :D

2) I had to sign an NDA.

3) I only saw a very small portion, so I'm not sure. But I've already pre-ordered.

I'd partially agree with you on the all those things not being in this game, but I'm not as upset as many people are. Campaign was basically instant action with clips from the movies in between, and Galactic Conquest was instant action with little bonuses. While I'll miss GC, there aren't really enough planets (Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Sullust, Jakku) to effectively make use of that mode.

Space Battles on the other hand... The game should have them, but in hindsight they weren't very well designed in Battlefront II. So with that in mind, I'd rather DICE focus on getting the other core elements of the combat perfected and then bring in space battles either via DLC, or in a sequel. DICE has been pretty quick to dismiss any 'Battlefield: Star Wars' stuff from what I've seen. Obviously the original Battlefront borrowed heavily from Battlefield, but that comment seems to strike a nerve with some devs.

All I can really say is while I can't blame anyone for being skeptical and waiting to see more of the game -- in fact, I would recommend that with any game -- I personally had fun with what I tested, and to give DICE the benefit of the doubt for now.

Edited by Sandro

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stop playing Rocket League on the PS4. It's just a game where you control rocket cars and hit a soccer ball into each other's nets. It's like a fast paced 3D Haxball. It's just in Beta right now.

KindlyFrayedEastsiberianlaika.gif

Edited by DollarAndADream

I can't stop playing Rocket League on the PS4. It's just a game where you control rocket cars and hit a soccer ball into each other's nets. It's like a fast paced 3D Haxball. It's just in Beta right now.

KindlyFrayedEastsiberianlaika.gif

Kinda reminds me of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, is it like a sequel?

Not even sure what to take from that new NHL stuff. Especially the "re-imagined" EASHL part. A guy I know at EA a few months ago told me that you couldn't create your own team anymore in EASHL, or even your own player. That little tidbit on EASHL doesn't exactly deny that.

A little disappointed in the new Mad Max game after seeing the latest trailer. The voice actor for Max sounds pretty bad, and he's talking way too much. Also the new trailer seems to hint there's going to be some sort of romantic side-plot which I really don't like. The films do a phenomenal job of steering clear of that, especially Fury Road. Furiosa kicks a ton of ass and she doesn't randomly hook up with Max at any point. I'm worried that Avalanche is missing the entire essence of what Mad Max is.

Not to mention the game seems to have abandoned the over-saturated colour palette that makes Fury Road stand out so much. Someone did some colour correction on a clip from the last trailer, and I really wish it looked like this:

SoggyUncomfortableAmericancrayfish.gif

Edited by Sandro

Played quite a bit of Rimworld over the last few days, really cool game that you can already sink hours into despite the fact that there isn't a lot of late game content yet, but there are a ton of mods already for that that I'm probably gonna look into over the next few weeks :)

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus