Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

I've got nine games pre-ordered now, six of them with the 30% off deal on Amazon.ca right now. Gotta hunt for deals and savings now because the dollar sucks so much, but it's saving me money so it's okay:

Batman Arkham Knight (30% off)
Metal Gear Solid V ($20 off of $69.99)
Mad Max (30% off)
Star Wars Battlefront ($24 off)
Dark Souls III (30% off)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (30% off)
Ratchet & Clank (30% off)
The Last Guardian (30% off)
Uncharted 4 ($20 off of $69.99)

Where'd you get the the $24 Battlefront discount?

With my Amazon discount I did Batman, MGS and Fallout. Probably should add more since you don't pay until it ships anyways and I know I'll end up buying them. Like The Last Guardian, Uncharted and probably Horizon. I should toss in Zelda as well.

What in the fuck is that shenmue game that are freaking out over.. But yeah that fallout stuff looks pretty wild. Probably will be my one other game I buy in 2016 with chel

Yes, Fallout series is an absolute MUST

Also, if you haven't played BioShock - get the triple pack immediately. All three are on sale for like 9$

B03 tho

Uh yeah...looks like more Call of Duty. Except they were all "hey shooters are even faster now and have wall runs and double jumps so let's keep up with the times. Hooray." 

Series is slowly dying, sales will reflect that too. Never be as big as it once was without some serious innovation.

Also Higgy, it's "sort of" backwards compatibility. Their marketing confused what ACTUALLY is happening. As in, it isn't like you stick a disk in and it plays. There is a list of 100 (maybe a little more) games currently that if you have the disc of you can stick in, then download, and then be able to play. However...Microsoft can't make all the games be able to work with them. Yes they said they'd be willing to do it for free to any developer who jumps on board, but the developers themselves have to jump on board. Some won't. Especially for games that are getting or have recently been remastered. So yeah, it's still really cool for those interested.

But I sold all my physical old games after I sold my old consoles. Discs take up far too much space for me now, digital all the time all the way haha. 

No Just Cause 3 Sandro? It looks like it's going to be the funnest thing out this year tbh.

Thought about it, but I didn't really enjoy JC2 so I decided it was smarter to wait and see with that one. It does look really fun though. I wanted to grab Mirror's Edge Catalyst as well, but for some reason the PS4 version wasn't available. :S

Where'd you get the the $24 Battlefront discount?

With my Amazon discount I did Batman, MGS and Fallout. Probably should add more since you don't pay until it ships anyways and I know I'll end up buying them. Like The Last Guardian, Uncharted and probably Horizon. I should toss in Zelda as well.

I traded in Advanced Warfare to save some money on Battlefront.

What in the fuck is that shenmue game that are freaking out over.. But yeah that fallout stuff looks pretty wild. Probably will be my one other game I buy in 2016 with chel

Shenmue is basically the OG cinematic, story-based, open-world game. It's the blueprint that so many modern games follow. It was so far ahead of its time, but it was a SEGA game and disappeared with the financial disaster that was the Dreamcast. The story was written as 16 chapters, and only 5 of them have been told. From what I understand the second game got kind of rushed out the door because of how expensive it was develop, and the game ended on a massive cliffhanger.

So fans of these games have been waiting 14 years to find out what happens next, and they're finally getting rewarded for their faith that Shenmue III would come.

Edited by Sandro

Sandro do more NHL vids maybe for the next game? :(

Also, I got South Park Stick of Truth and Portal 2 (as per Phil) from the Steam Sale... Prob the best value I've gotten for games in a long time... If anyone hasn't tried those two, take advantage of the sale.. PS thanks Phil 

Not planning on picking up NHL 16, at least not on day one. I've got a ton of pre-orders already lined up and I'm starting at BCIT in the fall. My free time is about to crater.

Oh, but I have played it. Definitely seemed like an improvement on 15.

Edited by Sandro

Not planning on picking up NHL 16, at least not on day one. I've got a ton of pre-orders already lined up and I'm starting at BCIT in the fall. My free time is about to crater.

Oh, but I have played it. Definitely seemed like an improvement on 15.

Wouldn't take much to improve garbage tbh

The issue with 15 wasn't really the gameplay, it was the fact they cut everything else out. 

Yeah the gameplay was great, too bad it couldn't hold my interest for more than a month as it was a empty shell made for HUT revenue.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is bae. All the games I pre-ordered during E3 got discounted further, so I'm getting closer to 35-40% off of each game now. About $50 for Metal Gear Solid V, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls III, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last Guardian. $44 for Mad Max. $25 for Ratchet & Clank.

At this point, since you can cancel each game individually on Amazon, it makes more sense to just pre-order a year's worth of games every E3. If it's not looking good in the lead-up to launch, you can just cancel it.

I finally finished Dark Souls II last night :lol: . Bought the game when it came out over a year ago and played it pretty much until the final boss, then went on vacation for a week and never got back into it for whatever reason. Decided to re-visit the game this weekend and managed to beat Nashandra in just a few tries... Still have one or two optional bosses left (the dragon and the dark lurker I think), probably gonna try to beat them first and then take a look into NG+.

Which, Dark Souls II? You should play all the Souls games, dammit. My favs are Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Haven't finished Dark 1 yet, haven't started Dark 2 as a result.

Which, Dark Souls II? You should play all the Souls games, dammit. My favs are Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Haven't finished Dark 1 yet, haven't started Dark 2 as a result.

The "vanilla" Dark Souls 2 basically just with the regular patches, no DLCs or revamped edition like the one that just came out. I played Dark Souls 1 for a bit a few years ago, I'd say the first third of the game, but then lost interest, not exactly sure why. Never played Demon Souls though and I haven't gotten Bloodborne yet either, I'm just such a shield & turtle guy, I'm afraid that I'll fail miserably once the take away my shields :D

Edit: Okay I just now realized that this question was directed to Phil :lol:

Is this a game I need to put on my wishlist?

I'm still playing WarFrame - bloody hell it's a addictive.

It was a great game and I know that many people think that it's the weakest installment of the series, so I'd definitely suggest checking one of the Souls games out.

I've thought about giving Warframe another try for a few months now, played it all the way when it was still in beta and thought that it was pretty meh, but a lot seems to have changed since then and I was pretty surprised to hear that it has become such a huge success.

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

The "vanilla" Dark Souls 2 basically just with the regular patches, no DLCs or revamped edition like the one that just came out. I played Dark Souls 1 for a bit a few years ago, I'd say the first third of the game, but then lost interest, not exactly sure why. Never played Demon Souls though and I haven't gotten Bloodborne yet either, I'm just such a shield & turtle guy, I'm afraid that I'll fail miserably once the take away my shields :D

Edit: Okay I just now realized that this question was directed to Phil :lol:

:P

I'm stuck in a similar spot. I think I might be closer to halfway through, but I just couldn't keep going with Dark 1. If I go back I feel like I need to start over with a totally different build, something new that will keep me interested in playing. I thought the same thing with Bloodborne, and the game will kick your ass for the first hour or two but once you get a hang of it, it's incredible.

:P

I'm stuck in a similar spot. I think I might be closer to halfway through, but I just couldn't keep going with Dark 1. If I go back I feel like I need to start over with a totally different build, something new that will keep me interested in playing. I thought the same thing with Bloodborne, and the game will kick your ass for the first hour or two but once you get a hang of it, it's incredible.

Which area are you at in Dark 1?

Edited by RomanesEuntDomus

I sadly haven't beat Bloodborne. I stand with you though Sandro, I beat original Dark Souls but preferred Demon Souls. Although the connected world and navigation in Dark Souls was pretty fantastic. I just for whatever reason liked the "hub world" and travelling to various places from there.

Bloodborne I got stuck up a few times, but then other stuff came out. My priority right now on top of enjoying playing Destiny again as Chris/ADV finally got a PS4 and is playing it is Batman. Arkham Knight is such a fucking good game, like seriously. The summer drought is probably when I'm going to dig through and beat Bloodborne though. 

Which area are you at in Dark 1?

Sen's Fortress, but I think I may have done some stuff that would normally be done after that section.

I sadly haven't beat Bloodborne. I stand with you though Sandro, I beat original Dark Souls but preferred Demon Souls. Although the connected world and navigation in Dark Souls was pretty fantastic. I just for whatever reason liked the "hub world" and travelling to various places from there.

Bloodborne I got stuck up a few times, but then other stuff came out. My priority right now on top of enjoying playing Destiny again as Chris/ADV finally got a PS4 and is playing it is Batman. Arkham Knight is such a fucking good game, like seriously. The summer drought is probably when I'm going to dig through and beat Bloodborne though. 

I totally agree with you RE: Demon's Souls and the hub world.

And maaaaaan, I wanna plat Arkham Knight so bad but I'm really Batman'd out right now. The main portion of the game is really fantastic, except so many of the boss battles revolving around the Batmobile. I really wanted to fight Deathstroke. :/

Edited by Sandro

Sen's Fortress, but I think I may have done some stuff that would normally be done after that section.

I totally agree with you RE: Demon's Souls and the hub world.

And maaaaaan, I wanna plat Arkham Knight so bad but I'm really Batman'd out right now. The main portion of the game is really fantastic, except so many of the boss battles revolving around the Batmobile. I really wanted to fight Deathstroke. :/

Eh the Batmobile felt strange to me at first, but I've gotten used to it and actually have begun to like it. Besides it really does add to the "you feel like you are actually Batman" that they always pretty much nail. I'm hopeful they do any reboot or find some excuse to get out of their wording though. I'd like to see Rocksteady do something new after that. That said I am quite enjoying Batman. It's probably my GOTY as of this moment, but fall could and likely will change that.