Claimed:S42 VHLM Mock Draft [Final 6/6]

CowboyinAmerica

nhldraft.png

“Mocks? Anyone know what the hell Frank's gonna do with 1st OVA?”

- Michael Clardy, Hopeful VHLM player

Ask and you shall receive. Leading up to Thursday’s VHLM Draft, there has been very little on the discussion front in VHLM circles. However, the notion that this will be a boring draft couldn’t be further from the truth. Five different teams hold draft selections in the top six. Oslo, meanwhile, has been loading up on veteran players. Yukon and Bratislava have no picks but return players from Finals runs, and Turku and Saskatoon are still around to liven up the party.

Do you know what’s going to happen when the first name is called? I surely don’t, but it never hurts to make a guess. This is one man’s opinion of the Season 42 VHLM Dispersal Draft, with TPE figures accurate as of update pages at the time of this writing.

ShHOOzg.png

1. Brampton Blades (from Ottawa) – RW E’Twaun Delicious (103 TPE)

What is the centerpiece to a VHLM team? Is it a high scoring center, such as Bismarck Koenig, or a stalwart goalie, such as Jax Barnstormer? Normally I would say goalie, but Brampton represents an interesting case. The team has mid-level VHLM players at both wing (Willcox, Zug) and goalie (Klajums), but none of the current players on the roster are currently practicing. Given the prevalence of high-TPE inactive goalies such as David Blind and Gunnar Skosvgard, however, I think that grabbing a goalie from elsewhere may be easier than a top-flight scorer. You can never have enough offensive threats.

f4dnotn.png

2. Bern Royals – G Hans Wingate (138 TPE)

Bern doesn’t have much going for it right now, and unlike Brampton, the team has no goalie to plug into the roster if all else fails. Hans Wingate and Blake Campbell – who is eligible to be drafted after being a waiver pick-up last season – are the clear candidates to be chosen here. I’m going Wingate just because of his new job in the league office and his overall potential. However, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Campbell went here either, especially with his new backing in the Stockholm league office.

8RPPVOE.png

3. Minot Gladiators – G Blake Campbell (133 TPE)

I personally will be surprised if both top-flight goaltenders aren’t gone in the first four selections. It’s a homecoming of sorts for Campbell, who spend the end of Season 41 with the franchise. Similar to Brampton, Minot does have a backup option in place with David Blind, but in my opinion, no winger or defenseman would provide the same value that an active goaltender would in this spot.

PFzZBjk.png

4. Moscow Red Wolves (from Oslo) – RW Vogon Jeltz (107 TPE)

The Red Wolves clearly traded up to this spot with somebody in mind, and given the presence of Gunnar Skosvgard on the team, it’s likely not a goalie. Jeltz is clearly the best player left on the board, holding a 40 TPE edge over every other winger. Moscow will need the firepower to replace Ziedins, and this sets them up for the season at the right wing slot with little worry.

PFzZBjk.png

5. Moscow Red Wolves – D Michael Clardy (43 TPE)

Having just taken the highest winger on the board, it wouldn’t surprise me if Moscow then turned its attention to the defensive side. It’s rare to see a player jump in with both feet in such a strong manner, but with a biography, rookie profile and even a podcast already completed, Clardy has certainly already made his name known in scouting circles. Pairing Merica with Clardy gives Moscow potentially two of the highest upside players heading into the Season 43 draft, an advantage they certainly couldn’t pass up.

ShHOOzg.png

6. Brampton Blades – RW Josh Merica (44 TPE)

Merica has been adamant that he should be the first overall pick, and based on the pure potential that he has shown in combines thus far, I’m not one to disagree with him. However, due to preexisting players that already held some TPE, Merica falls all the way down to the six slot. He’s certainly a steal there for Brampton, however, who may now have their right winger of the future for the next two seasons. Come playoff time, Merica may be one of the deadliest wingers in the league.

8RPPVOE.png

7. Minot Gladiators (from Turku) – RW Benjamin Zeptenbergs (67 TPE)

After going goalie earlier, it’s time for Minot to turn its attention elsewhere. Not just the most well-progressed winger currently on the board, Zeptenbergs is still an active member of the community, even putting in time on the practice rink just a few days ago. Getting drafted by Toronto, his preferred VHL destination, should presumably push him forward with an even greater velocity. Zeptenbergs is a safe pick for the franchise.

UF6LlPC.png

8. Ottawa Lynx (from Saskatoon) – D Golden Jedtsson (51 TPE)

I was tempted to put goalie Not Active in this spot knowing Ottawa’s need at the position, but he has not shown up much in the practice arena since declaring for the draft. Instead, I will go the best player available route. While I could certainly make an argument for Francis York Morgan as a higher upside defenseman, going the safe route with Jedtsson doesn’t seem to be a bad move. Already holding a job in the league office and with his player agency having placed players in the VHL before, Jedtsson should certainly know the ropes.

f4dnotn.png

9. Bern Royals (from Yukon) – D Francis York Morgan (40 TPE)

Having just joined the VHLM just over two weeks ago, Morgan has already made a name for himself with some strong practices in the early going. This draft is all about potential, and Morgan has it in spades, providing Bern some strong protection for the already-selected Wingate. The Clardy v. Morgan battle may very well become the talk of the Season 43 VHL draft if both players continue on their current rate, and Morgan being taken lower than he should here provides excellent motivation.

UF6LlPC.png

10. Ottawa Lynx (from Bratislava) – C Severin von Karma (86 TPE)

The idea of a low-upside, high-TPE player fits in perfectly with Ottawa’s pre-existing team, which needs some sort of stablizing presence. But that’s not to say that von Karma will not improve. Eligible for the draft as a Season 41 waiver pickup, von Karma has progressed at a decidedly slower rate since the turn of the new year, but he has still progressed. Will his selection by Stockholm in the VHL Draft light a fire under him? It’s possible, but unless it shows itself by Thursday, it won’t be enough to put him up draft boards.

You are correct, I am going to Brampton. Except at #1.

Also you mentioned that pairing Clardy and Merica was something that Moscow couldn't pass up, but you have me going to Brampton.

Also you mentioned that pairing Clardy and Merica was something that Moscow couldn't pass up, but you have me going to Brampton.

I too thought that was strange haha, oh well!

Also you mentioned that pairing Clardy and Merica was something that Moscow couldn't pass up, but you have me going to Brampton.

Yeah, originally had you at 4 before I realized Jeltz was draft eligible. Whoops. I'll change that tomorrow.