Claimed:What Is A Professional? [FINAL 6/6]

Merica

The recent emergence of the group "Professional Businessman" wasn't accepted with open arms. I myself raised many questions about their approach and tactics to what they were trying to do. I am in complete agreement however that people should be professional, no matter where they are at in life or what their job is. This group didn't adequately answer the questions I posed them, and I get it, it's partly an act, but their premise is worth exploring and I felt as though it was an important enough topic that I should address it.

So what is a professional? What are the key traits? I’ve compiled a list below, and you can determine for yourself whether you, or anyone else, measures up to what being a professional is.

Knowledgeable:

• Without question, a professional is someone who is knowledgeable at their profession. If you ask them a question they should be able to whip out an answer like it’s burned into their memory. They should do so in the proper manner, it shouldn’t come with an “I’m better than you, why don’t you know this?” attitude. A professional is able to read the situation and adapt to the personality of the person asking the question, because a professional isn’t out to put people down, they are above that.

Proud, but Humble:

• Professionals take pride in what they do, they put in that extra effort to be exceptional at what they do when others were out partying or sleeping in. They aren’t boastful, however, but humble, they let their work speak for itself. As the Bible says, “Pride cometh before the fall”, and whether you believe in God or not, that statement bears truth.  Professionals acknowledge when they need help and they seek it out, because they are not prideful and egotistic.

Honest:

• This should be self-explanatory, but I’ll elaborate. If someone lies to you, you will instantly think less of them, question what they’ve said in the past and doubt them in the future, whether consciously or sub-consciously. Once labeled a liar, it is extremely hard to get rid of. A professional doesn’t lie, he is honest and upfront, he instills trust in his peers. When he says he is going to do something, he does it.  He doesn't lie to get ahead.

Accountable:

• If there something lacking in today’s generation, it’s taking accountability for your actions and not blaming the closest thing in your proximity for your failure. A professional accepts responsibility for his actions at all times, whether it’s words, actions or thoughts. Taking accountablity doesn't go unnoticed, it's so rare today that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Professionals take responsibility.

Calm Underneath Pressure:

• A professional knows his job, he is skilled at what he does and he has reached the level of expertise. When under pressure, when times get hard and most people would fold underneath the pressure, a professional rises up and takes charge, he accomplishes his task and leads those who stumble. How a person responds underneath pressure will tell you a lot about them, and if they can’t handle it, they are not a professional at what they do. No one will follow a person who can't perform when he is needed the most.

Looking The Part:

• As a professional, you are held to a higher standard. Showing up to work late, wearing sloppy clothing, hungover and having unkempt hair are not in line with how a professional should appear. A true professional knows this, and he will dress the part, his hair will be in order, his clothes clean and in accordance with his profession. When you look at him you should be able to tell that he is a professional, someone who knows what he is about and has a purpose.  The saying "you only get one first impression" is more true then one might think, you only get one shot to present yourself the first time, and how you do so will speak volumes about the kind of person you are.

There are other traits that apply to a professional, but these are the ones that I believe stand out. They are simple traits, but they are often the hardest to carry out and do on a regular basis. It takes a conscious effort. If it were easy, if being honest and having integrity was easy, then more people would do it, but it’s not, it’s the narrow path and it won’t look as appealing from the starting gate as the wide path, but the rewards at the end are much greater and present much less risk than someone who decides that lying and cheating are the ways to reach success. Yes, it may take you longer to achieve your goals by being honest and having integrity, especially when those around you are encouraging bad behavior, but remember, a professional does what is right, he sticks to his values, t's what seperates him from others. It is the road less travelled, and you will be constantly tempted to veer off it.

I am well aware that some people will question whether or not I am suited to be writing a paper on what it means to be a professional, as I am one of the biggest boasters in the league. That boasting is an act, it is the personality I chose for the character and is not a direct representation of who I am. Honestly, I am a very quiet person, I don't go around bragging about this or that and most people think I am anti-social.  I do, however, know what it means to be professional, and I know what being unprofessional looks like all too well. I’m currently a member of the US Armed Forces, and I have seen it all, from when the stakes are highest and knowing your job could mean life or death, to when there is nothing to do and that wide road looks like a mirage in the middle of a desert.  A professional doesn’t cut corners, he doesn’t compromise. I am not saying that I am true professional, nor I could I prove it on an online forum anyway, I am only saying that I have seen both sides of the coin.

Edited by Merica

A professional is to each person loosely what they want it to be. While this article is a great display of your own definition to maintain that one must be knowledgeable and honest to be a professional is something that differs from person to person.

A professional is to each person loosely what they want it to be. While this article is a great display of your own definition to maintain that one must be knowledgeable and honest to be a professional is something that differs from person to person.

You can't lie, cheat and steal and be a professional. You can't half ass your job and call yourself a professional. So what exactly do mean by saying it differs from person to person?

I'm going to be honest here, but solely from my knowledge I can say by looking the part that you're accountable for your actions. I may be so proud, but humble, that THERE ISN'T NOTHING FKN LEFT of my calm underneath pressure.

You can't lie, cheat and steal and be a professional. You can't half ass your job and call yourself a professional. So what exactly do mean by saying it differs from person to person?

Professional Financial Investors do just those things. You are speaking of a "moral" professional. You can present any front you want and call yourself professional. Whether you hold yourself with the moral integrity and standards of an individual who chooses not to manipulate or lie is irrelevant to someone who fronts as a "professional."

Professional Financial Investors do just those things. You are speaking of a "moral" professional. You can present any front you want and call yourself professional. Whether you hold yourself with the moral integrity and standards of an individual who chooses not to manipulate or lie is irrelevant to someone who fronts as a "professional."

Yes you can be a professional financial investor, a professional baseball player, etc, etc, but that doesn't mean that you are actually a professional yourself. A title doesn't make you a professional. Yes, in some sense this is a "moral" professional, but you can't be a true professional in all that you do without the moral part.  I think we are agreeing on that, just wording it differently.

Content: 3/3 - Great write-up. It was plenty interesting, especially not been directly related to hockey.

Grammar: 2/2 - Just a couple of things.

"If there something" - If there is something

"more true then one might think" - true THAN one might think

"and how you do so will speak volumes" - so IT will speak volumes

Appearance: 0.75/1 - I don't want to take points away, but I have to because the rubric asks for a picture at least.

Overall: 5.75/6

Content: 3/3 - Stretching a bit for stuff to write about? Either way, thought it was well-written, so you get the full points by me.

Grammar: 2/2 - A few minor things outside of what Dollar put

the fall", = always comma inside quotation mark

t's what = it's what

seperates = separates

Presentation: .75/1 - I'm going to agree here. Was some formatting, but would like to see at least a header image.

Total: 5.75/6

Final: 6/6