Grade 12 programs

Kesler

So I know a lot of guys are older then me, and right now it's planning time for grade 12 and theirs this program called ace it where you basically go and do a program and get credits for grade 12 while learning a trade. Well I want to go into forestry or water sewage (like my brother, as it's not as bad as you may think) but on the ace it program they don't have anything like what I wanna do.

So did you guys do anything like this? Because my brother basically didn't go to school in grade 12 and was making money and was learning a trade and still graduated. also I guess it would help if you were in BC.

GO TO FUCKING SCHOOL

Signed a 25 year old that was in trades then realized that trades come and go with the economy more than any other occupation. 

I just finished school and am in the best position in my life, I made 40-50k a year in trades but when you get laid off each time finding a job gets harder and harder

I know im new here, but i went through the same thing. Deciding what you want to do can be hard. 

I took all my normal grade 12 classes, then once i graduated, I worked for a year in fort mac, alberta. made 70k. Ultimately working a trade wasnt for me, so im taking business in university right now. 

Sum things up, if you don't know what you want to do in university, dont rush yourself. Take a year off, work, travel, ect .

Good luck man, grade 12 is an awesome year !

I worked in a door factory once. It sucked. I went to school, have a good full time job and am back in a graduate program. Regardless of what you do, finish grade 12, take a college diploma or university degree.

What are these certificates? If it is legitimately do different than having your grade 12, then I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. To me it basically just sounds like a co-op program, but in Grade 12?

And wastewater treatment is the tits, ask your brother if they need any chemical engineers.

Program Name 	
Automotive Service Technician 	Go
Baker 	Go
Bricklayer (Mason) 	Go
Carpenter 	Go
Cook (General) 	Go
Electrician 	Go
Hairstylist (Cosmetologist) 	Go
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (New Format) 	Go
Horticulture (Landscape & Production) 	Go
Machinist 	Go
Millwright (Industrial Mechanic) 	Go
Motor Vehicle Body Repairer 	Go
Plumber 	Go
Plumber/Sprinkler/Gas/Steamfitter 	Go
Welder A-B Modular 	Go
Welder Foundation

Is this what's available to you Kesler?

Nah trades is good money if you actually stay with it and progress on the education side of it to become a journeyman in your trade, which takes 4 years of school (altho I think it's only 3-6 months per "year") and thousands of hours of work experience to get. Being a lifetime low-level apprentice bitch or plug in the "trades" (construction, mining, etc.) has little job security and is a horrid life, but pretty sure Journeyman status bring a ton more job security. I guess getting those hours to get to Jman status can be tricky, but usually if you work hard for a company they will help you out. This is, at l east, how it works in Sask.

Going to a university and paying out the asshole can backfire a lot worse than following the trades, where as you are "learning" and developing in the trade you are also getting paid for your time. I'd suggest going into that class, even though it doesn't have the specific things you are looking for Kesler. I'm sure they can use their connects to look for something specific you want to do, or give you something broad enough that it could apply to the trade you do want to eventually get into. Those high school programs have pretty good connects with companies in the trades.

I don't know any of this as first-hand info but a lot of mybuddies are in the trades, who I went to high school with, and a vast majority of them (the ones who are now Journeymen and balling out of control in terms of money) did that 'trades class' thing when we were in grade 11/12. 

Also I think the 4 years of schooling was to be an electrician. I'm sure some trades have less or more "education" involved with them to get your ticket, or whatever type of certification the trade can get you. 

Sowwy Munk, I waes jist trieing to help the giy bekuz he askied for sum advys.

jist rememburr dat trieing is wat got u landed in jail da last tym ok fernando

anyways kesler also make sure u do gd now and get scholarships. it goez a lawng way 

Well fortunately my brother is a boss and makes 75k a year + he got a brand new truck when he moved to Grande Praire and started working so he isnt just one of those guys that makes shitty money, this is in response to gorlab :P

Forestry in BC sounds like it would be pretty awesome, depending on what kind job you would be aiming for or was offered as the co-op.

Well my stepdad works at a mill so I am gonna get him to explain some forestry stuff to me.

Program Name 	
Automotive Service Technician 	Go
Baker 	Go
Bricklayer (Mason) 	Go
Carpenter 	Go
Cook (General) 	Go
Electrician 	Go
Hairstylist (Cosmetologist) 	Go
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (New Format) 	Go
Horticulture (Landscape & Production) 	Go
Machinist 	Go
Millwright (Industrial Mechanic) 	Go
Motor Vehicle Body Repairer 	Go
Plumber 	Go
Plumber/Sprinkler/Gas/Steamfitter 	Go
Welder A-B Modular 	Go
Welder Foundation

Is this what's available to you Kesler?

Yeah thats basically it and I must say most of those have almost nothing to do with what I am considering going into.

What are these certificates? If it is legitimately do different than having your grade 12, then I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. To me it basically just sounds like a co-op program, but in Grade 12?

And wastewater treatment is the tits, ask your brother if they need any chemical engineers.

Yeah I basically just go do a trade during my spare classes or I go to a different school or I just go this program and at the same time am doing all the regular grade 12 subjects. I dont lose anything by going into one of these programs.

No gorlab has a point, it can be very hard to make it in trades. Not everyone is a success story, probably not even 1/4.. It has a lot to do with where you live and what is popular in your area/state/province. Trades are also pretty expensive, it can be 2 grand for a 2 week course. 

But it sounds like you could have some connections so that could make it more worthwhile for you.

Edited by Munk

Hey Man, just wanted to tell you, whatever you get into, it isn't the end all, be all. It is however, a wonderful fallback option. Currently, I am a 1st year service tech/plumbing apprentice. When I started I had no experience with anything, but now after 1 and a half years of job experience I not only have a path, but it has driven me to want more. I now plan to get a degree and try to run my own AC/Plumbing company, and if it doesn't work out I will have an excellent career waiting for me as long as I get my license. It really has done wonders for me, I recommend trade school to anyone who doesn't have a defined career path.